Thread started 03 Aug 2007 (Friday) 19:15   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,429 posts
Bedford, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been using the 70-200L 4 IS at the long end and have noticed I need considerably more light than I'd imagined - even in very bright sunlight. Is this pretty normal?

Post #1, Aug 03, 2007 19:15:37

Cleo
50D
smugmugexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Tumak
Joined Oct 2006
585 posts
Between the purple mountains majesty and the amber waves of grain
[MORE/SHARE]

Should be f4 all the way. However 70 needs about 1/60 sec and 200 needs about 250 depending on skill lever. Then probably 2 or 3 stops less for IS. However IS does not stop action, only lots of light for a fast shutter speed will do that. If you are trying to catch that cute little critter in your avatar, good luck.

Post #2, Aug 03, 2007 19:27:54

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
6,674 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I don’t understand the question.

Focal length has nothing to do with exposure (amount of light as you call it), except indirectly - that you need faster shutter speed to avoid camera motion blur with longer lenses, and therefore wider aperture or higher ISO to keep exposure the same..

Post #3, Aug 03, 2007 19:28:24

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

rammy
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
3,189 posts
London, England
[MORE/SHARE]

Tumak, that is to do with getting a sharp picture, not on metering, which is what I think the OP question is about.

I think what is happening is that at 70mm you have more of the scene in view and probably more light if some sky or bright areas are framed and so eval-metering (I guess you are using that?) will give you fast speed. When you zoom in to 200mm you may be zooming into a darker more specific area (compared to the 70mm view) and so not so many bright areas meaning you have to slow the shutter or open the aperture.

Have a look at some threads on POTN on metering scenes and should make some sense. Also, try spot-metering and meter at 70mm and 200mm, without reframing and you will get the same readings.

Post #4, Aug 04, 2007 08:19:41

Gear | Surrey Wedding Photographerexternal link | Surrey Wedding Photographer Blogexternal link | London Architecture Photographerexternal link

Mum2J&M
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,429 posts
Bedford, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

I was using spot metering mostly since I knew I didn't want the whole pic to be overexposed. I guess that's right - the farther away, the more camera shake, the higher the shutter speed, the more light needed via aperture and/or ISO. I was mostly shooting at 200 and having trouble, so that would make sense. Less trouble with the wider FL i.e. 70-ish.

Post #5, Aug 04, 2007 09:09:45

Cleo
50D
smugmugexternal link

sponsored links
Mum2J&M
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,429 posts
Bedford, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

I was using an ISO of 400, which just seemed very high to me... I guess I didn't want my aperture too wide since I didn't want the blur and my shutter speed had to be on the higher side for no camera shake/to freeze the action. So the ISO was just seeming really high, but because of what I was trying to do, it makes more sense.

Post #6, Aug 04, 2007 09:33:19

Cleo
50D
smugmugexternal link

Tumak
Joined Oct 2006
585 posts
Between the purple mountains majesty and the amber waves of grain
[MORE/SHARE]

I am sorry Rammy, but I have reread all this about three times and I do not understand what was wrong with my answer.

Post #7, Aug 04, 2007 22:02:53

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
Joined Jun 2005
12,251 posts
Australia.
[MORE/SHARE]

Mum2J&M wrote in post #3667446external link
I was using an ISO of 400, which just seemed very high to me... I guess I didn't want my aperture too wide since I didn't want the blur and my shutter speed had to be on the higher side for no camera shake/to freeze the action. So the ISO was just seeming really high, but because of what I was trying to do, it makes more sense.

400 isn't high - 800 is very clean on a 20d/30d! I regularly shoot at 1600 and with a proper exposure the noise is minimal :)

Post #8, Aug 04, 2007 22:20:53

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.auexternal link Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514external link & 1610/1614external link - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Homeexternal link - FA-100external link

pagnamenta
Joined Jan 2007
786 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If I understand correctly, you find that at the wider end, the image seems brighter and at the long end, it looks darker through the viewfinder. If you use the same shutter speed for both shots, the wider shot is brighter. Is this right? If not, sorry.

Post #9, Aug 04, 2007 22:31:09

Canon 1D3, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sale), 1.4x converter, 580EX.

gooble
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
3,149 posts
Mesa,AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Mum2J&M wrote in post #3667446external link

What were you shooting? What "blur" did you not want? Blur is typically a function of motion and slow shutter which the aperature will have no effect on. If the images are exhibiting motion blur that you don't want, you need to open the aperature wider and increase the shutter speed. However, the increased OOF areas due to narrower DOF will happen when opening the aperature up. Anyway I'm not sure if you're complaining about motion blur or OOF due to narrow DOF but maybe this helps.

Post #10, Aug 04, 2007 23:41:28

Mum2J&M
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,429 posts
Bedford, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm speaking of the out of focus areas due to narrower dof. I guess I can't really get my head around that concept. Why does this happen? I know the slower shutter speeds will cause blur, but why would there be increased oof areas with a narrower dof? Are you just talking about a smaller focal plane in general due to a larger aperture opening? Sorry. Now I guess I'm confused.

Post #11, Aug 04, 2007 23:47:49

Cleo
50D
smugmugexternal link

sponsored links
Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
6,674 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Smaller focal plane?
No such thing, I’m afraid.

Yes indeed Mum, you seem to be confused a bit..

Post #12, Aug 05, 2007 00:32:33

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

gooble
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
3,149 posts
Mesa,AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Hermeto wrote in post #3670845external link
Smaller focal plane?
No such thing, I’m afraid.

Yes indeed Mum, you seem to be confused a bit..

Right. There is an area in front of and behind the focal plane which is encompassed by the DOF.

Post #13, Aug 05, 2007 00:38:20

bieber
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,992 posts
Bradenton, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

Mum2J&M wrote in post #3670713external link
I'm speaking of the out of focus areas due to narrower dof. I guess I can't really get my head around that concept. Why does this happen? I know the slower shutter speeds will cause blur, but why would there be increased oof areas with a narrower dof? Are you just talking about a smaller focal plane in general due to a larger aperture opening? Sorry. Now I guess I'm confused.

DOF simply refers to the amount of depth before and past your focus point your lens can have in focus. This gets smaller as you zoom out, because DOF is proportional to aperture value, and inversely proportional to focal length. i.e., the smaller the number you get by dividing [aperture value]/[focal length], the less DOF you have.

Post #14, Aug 05, 2007 00:49:39

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Galleryexternal link

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,853 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

This link to Canon's web siteexternal link may help with a basic understanding of the concept of depth of field. Make sure you scroll all the way down and carefully look at the whole page.

The menu at the left side of the page will take you to other topics with a lot of basic photography information.

Post #15, Aug 05, 2007 02:13:48

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
981 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question re: Longer Focal Lengths and More Light
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES