Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 12 Aug 2007 (Sunday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wide enough?

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 12, 2007 18:10 |  #1

Do you think the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 is wide enough?

I'm renting lenses I think I need for my upcoming wedding in Sept.

Right now, I have a 28-135mm(which I don't think is wide enough)
Then I'm getting a 70-200mm F/4L(it's an outdoor wedding)

What do you guys think?

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,908 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 12, 2007 18:15 |  #2

Yes, it is, I haven't used my 12-24 since I got the 17-55 maybe a year ago. I'm considering breaking out the 12-24 for some creative stuff though, after seeing Lloyd's photos.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

squeaky_clean
171 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 12, 2007 19:30 |  #3

For my style I found it wasn't QUITE wide enough, although it is a wonderful lens and was great 90% of the time. But that other 10% it just simply wasn't wide enough.

RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 13, 2007 05:38 as a reply to  @ squeaky_clean's post |  #4

Shot my first wedding 18 months ago primarily with a 28-135 IS on a 20D. Indoors it was a struggle at times to get far enough back. But the biggest problems with this lens are it gets to f5.6 quite early in the zoom range, and it tends to be soft at the 135mm end. The IS is handy, of course, but we replaced the lens before we did our second wedding (bought a 17-55 IS and a 24-105 IS).

I think 17-55 is plenty wide enough on a crop camera - the 17-55 and 70-200 ranges are a great combination for a wedding. Yeah you can always find uses for wider, but, unless you're going for dramatic perspectives, they're a small percentage of shots.

Rob

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

937 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wide enough?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.