Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #1
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Default What Is Your Shoot Style At Weddings?

I'm asking this because I witnessed two different styles in 2 nights and I wanted to know what you all think.

On Friday, Dave helped me with my son's reception in UT. His style is shooting the family and B&G before the reception and then take a zillion candids and portraits. He ate just a little, when there wasn't much to do, but was right away moving around when a group gathered or hugs were happening. He stayed the whole time and at sunset, took some spectacular pictures with lights he set up way before so he just had to drag the B&G outside for a few minutes.

On Saturday, my nephew got married and had a reception at someone's backyard. It was a stunning location. I felt badly. The lady who came (beside shooting Nikons) was not very friendly, but sat and chimped a lot. She never got shots of family or friends at the reception, just mostly the cake cutting, the flower tossing and did some sunset pictures but with just the flash, no set up lights. Then she left before the B&G left, leaving me to shoot the exit, which I did happily without a flash, but with my 5D, not a problem.

I took 1 picture when Dave was shooting. He basically told me to put my 5D away, he's on top of things. I was grateful. The second night I had my 5D and the lady looked at me, but didn't say anything, I only shot friends and family and lots of babies. It was so fun.

All in all, I think I controlled myself well, but really, I learned a lot. I think Dave is wonderful, as Jim was here taking shots in VA for me. POTN members, friends, are really great. Thank you.
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #2
danpass
Goldmember

Default Re: What Is Your Shoot Style At Weddings?

I'm a Dave.

Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #3
jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!

It depends on the type of wedding. I won't stay for the exit unless I'm contracted for that many hours, which rarely happens. I try and take as many candid family shots as I can, but sometimes there just isn't much happening. I've never set up a light at sunset, either. I'm very friendly, though, and while the B&G events aren't going on, I walk around watching people and waiting for a nice expression to shoot.
*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer
jessiper is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #4
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Here are 4 pictures I took at the 2nd reception. Apparently, B&G's now like to leave in the dark with sparklers. Never saw that before. And the views from this house were stunning. I didn't show any of the valley below in these shots but you can just imagine.

Good tasting and first time I've seen one like this.

Great fun!

I'm a Dave, too.
My Gear and Wishes

Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #5
Big Mike

Quote:
I'm asking this because I witnessed two different styles in 2 nights and I wanted to know what you all think.
There are too many variables to really know what to say. As mentioned, it depends what we are contracted to do. Maybe they want (and pay you) to stay all night. Maybe they don't. Maybe they want a bunch of candids...maybe they just want a bunch of posed family shots and documentation of the important events.
Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #6
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Seriously though, when I'm hired to do a wedding and have to shoot the reception, I walk around and do the best I can. Just think you owe it to the couple. If they really did their homework, yes, they would know what to ask of you.
My Gear and Wishes

Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #7
Tish

I'm much closer to a "Dave" myself--though Friday was the first time I took off-camera lighting with me to a wedding. And I do still chimp a lot.
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #8
Bobster
Goldmember

eating ? you can do that at a wedding?

i'm a dave - but only if i'm paid to stay the whole nine yards..
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #9
Ade

I'm more of a Dave as well although i've never yet stayed to the end. A couple of brides have insisted that i go straight after the 1st dance as they don't want photos of friends and family members in a drunken state.

Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #10
jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyView View Post
Seriously though, when I'm hired to do a wedding and have to shoot the reception, I walk around and do the best I can. Just think you owe it to the couple. If they really did their homework, yes, they would know what to ask of you.
Who wasn't being serious?
*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer
jessiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #11
tim
Light Bringer

I rarely sit down except to eat. I get photos of whatever's happening, if nothing's happening i'll get small group photos. At the last wedding I ended up taking photos that seemed more glamor than wedding, quick versions of course, with the bridal party. My lightstand (a guy named Stu) helped a lot
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #12
Kai

I am still trying to figure this out. I have done a couple of "time" weddings and hate when the bride and groom have to worry about time and hury so they don't have to go in overtime. But then on the other end if you don't do time I find myself waiting and waiting. I love taking candids of kids at weddings but then when I realized that I only want to offer around 300 images I don't think they want a bunch of prints with kids on them. As of this moment my style is leave after the first dance - and try to stay focused on bride and groom with some shots of other important people (wedding party, mom, dad, sister etc.) But at the same capture wide pictures to get the feeling of the room. I am kind of wonder how much down time other photogs have. I hate photographing people eating so usually if they invite me to eat I will join the party for a short time. Some will call that unprofessional. I call it enjoying the people and feeding my brain which is needed if they want good shots.
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #13
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

I think Tim has it in his contract that he gets a plate of food.
My Gear and Wishes

Old 13th of August 2007 (Mon)   #14
tim
Light Bringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyView View Post
I think Tim has it in his contract that he gets a plate of food.
My contract says something like "For packages exceeding 6 hours it would be appreciated if a meal could be supplied for the photographer(s) and assistant(s) at the reception. If this is not possible please inform us so we can make alternative arrangements, which will require us to leave your reception venue for an hour, which could result in missed photos"
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2007 (Tue)   #15
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
My contract says something like "For packages exceeding 6 hours it would be appreciated if a meal could be supplied for the photographer(s) and assistant(s) at the reception. If this is not possible please inform us so we can make alternative arrangements, which will require us to leave your reception venue for an hour, which could result in missed photos"
I remembered you said something about that once. I think it's a good paragraph to include in any contract. 5-6 hours is a long day, and without a food break, you could get pretty cranky.

As for the B&G hurrying because you are paid by the hour, that is so unfortunate. Some of the best shots may be at the end of the wedding. Now that I've had a wedding I was responsible for, not the B&G, not the mother in law, just me, I think I know better what I need to say when customers interview me. My events happened smoothly, for the most part, and everyone hired and all the volunteers were on time and totally responsible. I didn't have to remind anyone about details, they knew what I wanted, and I was so grateful for anything people did for me. I hope I was reasonable and gracious. There are so many times here in the forum we hear sad stories about hired help. For this reason, I was careful and on the day of the event, had the attitude of "Can't do nothing now to change it, just enjoy!" And I did.
My Gear and Wishes