Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Aug 2007 (Monday) 14:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge 132. Art In Unusual Places

7kpulldown
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 13, 2007 14:04 |  #1

Thank you again, to all who contributed. I don't know if I will ever enter another POTN Challenge again, because if my photograph is chosen then I have the difficult task of judging your excellent work!

THE WINNERS,

First Place
teekay...Wild Horse
What looks like bronze castings of Wild Mustangs, is truly an art form, and the work involved to create them must them must have been an immense undertaking. While the location of Wild Horses in that dry, hot and dusty landscape wouldn't seem too unusual, bronze horses, silhouetted by the bright sun would. Great submission teekay.

Second Place
IainB... Opera Chorus
Who would have ever thought a chorus of hand painted bears would adorn the steps of the Sydney Opera House? I imagine that every one of those bears was hand painted, all by different artists and each with their own story. Congratulations IainB.

Third Place
Boutty... Sign
Intriguing, I looked at the grass in the back ground and couldn't figure out if the grass was photoshopped in or not. Anyway, what an unusual sign, I really liked this one.

AndreyD... Unbelievably sharp focus on your models eyes, well done.

grandadraymond... I think your picture is hilarious! Is it art in an unusual place, or is it a reflection on this weeks challenge subject? (not meant to offend) Either way, it made me grin ear to ear. Your submission was exactly the essence of what I was looking for. Well done!

ph.viny... graffiti artists can be amazingly talented like the art displayed in your image.

rowdyred94...Ah, the fine sculpture of aging automobiles and the location of your subject really makes this photograph work for me. Again, another submission of exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks to all....
Joe

sponsored links
AndreyD
708 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 13, 2007 15:41 |  #2

unexpected location

PowerShot G6, no flash, ISO 100

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Andrey
Moscow, Russia
flickr (external link)|blogger (external link)|facebook (external link)|livejournal (external link)|project365 (external link)

grandadraymond
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 18, 2007 08:44 as a reply to  @ AndreyD's post |  #3

Loo Art

Canon G6

HOSTED PHOTO

ph.viny
55 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 18, 2007 16:43 as a reply to  @ grandadraymond's post |  #4

Way to an underground tunnel in Brugge

G7 ...

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon G7 + HQ-Tripod30
Casio Exilim

teekay
Goldmember
2,826 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Aug 18, 2007 17:13 as a reply to  @ ph.viny's post |  #5

Wild Horse Monument

G1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 19, 2007 06:02 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #6

PS-G6

HOSTED PHOTO

rowdyred94
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 19, 2007 22:34 |  #7

Automotive Ruins

G3 | f/6.3 | 1/1250

HOSTED PHOTO

~ Clint :: Galleries (external link) :: Marketplace Feedback (external link)

IainB
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Aug 20, 2007 06:13 |  #8

Opera Chorus

G.1.

HOSTED PHOTO

7kpulldown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 20, 2007 08:20 |  #9

This contest is now closed at 1320 GMT. Thank you for contributing your work. I'll post the winners soon.

teekay
Goldmember
2,826 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Aug 20, 2007 15:07 as a reply to  @ 7kpulldown's post |  #10

Thanks very much for the unexpected first place!

As soon as I saw those bears I felt sure it wasn't going to be me having to think of a subject for the next challenge, but I'll now get to it ASAP.

The Wild Horse Monument can be seen on a hilltop, silhouetted against the sky, when driving the I90 near Vantage, Washington - basically in the middle of nowhere. It's a remarkable piece of art truly in a most unexpected place. It's a hot, dusty scramble up to get close, but worth the effort. Here's a close-up of one of the horses. I believe they are made out of sheet steel, right down to the "brands" welded on some of them.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IainB
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Aug 20, 2007 16:40 |  #11

Well done Teekay! I can certainly say that I didn't have to clamber over rocks and up dusty inclines in the heat of the day for my entry, but then again, I did have to 'walk with aussies'!(eh, Boutty?)
The bears - there are many many more - are a great feature on Sydney's waterfront. Each is indeed hand-painted by an artist representing their country and capturing an essence of their country's persona.

It was an intriguing topic, 7kpulldown - thanks for that - and open to wild imagination!

Let's see what Teekay has in store for us all....

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 21, 2007 05:10 as a reply to  @ IainB's post |  #12

Thank you Joe for the challenge; it certainly had got our brain juices flowing (I think). :p And great job on the judging duties. I hope you will be back to enter your image into another POTN Challenge. ;)

Congrats to teekay and IainB for their top notch images. Well done to all who entered. They all have inspiring ideas behind them! :lol: IainB, yep! A trip to the north for me is due. Good find there!

My sign was shot obviously at our local zoo (external link). Well worth a visit if you come to Melbourne.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/boutty/image/84256896/original.jpg

Joe was right, there was some untidy photoshop works involved. Thanks for the thrid spot! :cool:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/boutty/image/84256940/original.jpg

sponsored links

3,802 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge 132. Art In Unusual Places
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.