Thread started 14 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 05:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

stefeb
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,041 posts
NE Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

Got the Alien Bee Digital Kit- (2) AB800, Bounce Umbrella, Shoot Through Umbrella, stands, etc.

Which umbrella would you use for your main light, the bounce, or shoot through?

Thanks.

Post #1, Aug 14, 2007 05:56:10

Steve -
Gear List
My Photos - http://www.lehighvalle​yphotography.comexternal link
http://psc.photoshelte​r.com/user/stevefebbra​roexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
kav
Joined Apr 2006
183 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I would use the shoot-thru umbrella if you don't have a softbox.

The bounce can be used as a fill.

K.

Post #2, Aug 14, 2007 07:14:21

http://flickr.com/phot​os/kavexternal link

bcap
MR. PP
Joined Aug 2006
7,364 posts
Niagara, Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree, shoot-through for main. I love the nice, diffuse lighting of a shoot-through umbrella :)

Post #3, Aug 14, 2007 07:26:06

Bryan
Bryan Caporicci's Personal Blogexternal link
Niagara Falls, Ontario Wedding and Portrait Photographer - Bryan Caporicci Photographyexternal link

stefeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,041 posts
NE Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

kav wrote in post #3724655external link
I would use the shoot-thru umbrella if you don't have a softbox.

The bounce can be used as a fill.

K.

Thank you K.

bcap wrote in post #3724701external link
I agree, shoot-through for main. I love the nice, diffuse lighting of a shoot-through umbrella :)

Excellent. Thank you.

Post #4, Aug 14, 2007 08:06:09

Steve -
Gear List

kav
Joined Apr 2006
183 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Useful site which has lots of tutorials:

http://www.photoflexli​ghtingschool.com/Light​ing_Lessons/index.htmlexternal link

K.

Post #5, Aug 14, 2007 08:08:44 as a reply to stefeb's post 2 minutes earlier.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/kavexternal link

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I've done a lot of testing and found that there are characteristics of both that I like. In general, if you want the softest light then work nice and close with the shoot through. If you don't need or want that very soft light then the bounce works very well.

Fo instance, when working with subjects that are young and have very smooth skin with no blemishes then bouncing is great and there is a bit more definition than the shoot through.

Post #6, Aug 14, 2007 08:17:27 as a reply to kav's post 8 minutes earlier.

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

stefeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,041 posts
NE Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

kav wrote in post #3724911external link
Useful site which has lots of tutorials:

http://www.photoflexli​ghtingschool.com/Light​ing_Lessons/index.htmlexternal link

K.

Great site. Just what I was looking for. Thank you.

TMR Design wrote in post #3724965external link
I've done a lot of testing and found that there are characteristics of both that I like. In general, if you want the softest light then work nice and close with the shoot through. If you don't need or want that very soft light then the bounce works very well.

Fo instance, when working with subjects that are young and have very smooth skin with no blemishes then bouncing is great and there is a bit more definition than the shoot through.

Thanks Robert, your tips are great.

Post #7, Aug 14, 2007 08:30:00

Steve -
Gear List

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
32,470 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

If you haven't bought anything yet seriously look into a softbox. I prefer the quality of light over both shoot through and bounce into umbrellas. Get a box with several layers of diffusion.

Post #8, Aug 14, 2007 08:34:00 as a reply to stefeb's post 4 minutes earlier.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Steve states celarly that he bought a package containing the umbrella.

Of course we can suggest he buy all kinds of goodies but let's have him making use of the equipment he has to learn about them and the characteristics of each.

If at some point he wants to advance to other light modifiers and has the money to do so then he can explore softboxes, diffusion panels and a host of other modifiers.

I'm sorry to say that too often someone asks a question like this and they are told to spend money. It simply isn't necessary. He can do wonderful things with a shoot through umbrella. I know. I've done it. Nothing at all wrong with learning with simple gear and upgrading later.

Steve....I would use the shoot through as the main light and the other umbrella as a bounce for fill source.

Post #9, Aug 14, 2007 08:45:31 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post 11 minutes earlier.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,470 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Of course you can do wonderful things with umbrellas. He asked for some advice I gave it. I have always preferred the quality of light from a soft box especially when dealing with formal portraits of a single person or a couple. Also I find the rectangular catch light that mimics a window more pleasing that a circle from an umbrella. Because of the very diffused nature of a softbox you have less light spilling in areas that you might not want it in so it gives you far more control. If you are doing single or couples try one light on subject and a reflector.

Post #10, Aug 14, 2007 08:55:07 as a reply to TMR Design's post 9 minutes earlier.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

He stated he has 2 umbrellas and asked which to use, not what to buy. He was not looking for recommendations on other gear. Did you read his question?

Post #11, Aug 14, 2007 09:02:25 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post 7 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,470 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

How much is a soft box and an adapter? It ain't like buy'n a 300 2.8L. Cheap investment for another option. Why would that get you so worked up anyway? :confused::confused::confused: Isn't learning and sharing of ideas what a forum is all about? Its just advice, its free, no one got hurt in the process. Set down the coffee and step away from the keyboard. :lol:

Post #12, Aug 14, 2007 09:16:52 as a reply to TMR Design's post 14 minutes earlier.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Worked up? Back the train up. I answered his question. You suggested he buy something. He didn't want to know what to buy... and who are we to say what others consider a small amount of money.

I was simply pointing out that the OP asked a specific question and you didn't answer his question. Instead you are recommending he buy gear. He just bought a kit. Let him learn with it. He can do amazing things with it.

Post #13, Aug 14, 2007 09:25:29 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post 8 minutes earlier.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,480 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

This thread reminds me of...

Q: Would it be more economical to drive at 65 mph with my windows open, or with my windows closed and the air conditioning on?

A1: Tests show that air conditioning is more effecient than the increased air drag caused by open windows.

A2: You should get a convertible because it looks cool, as you feel cooler.

If he had asked "What kind of car should I buy?" both answers are useful facts. But for the question posed, A1 is on the mark, and A2 is useful information that has no bearing on the guy who already owns a sedan with air conditioning.

Post #14, Aug 14, 2007 09:44:16

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,470 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Actually its a guy thats just getting his lighting set up started and I know my advice is unsolicited but I'm gonna give it anyway. Wilt its kinda more than that its knowing when to use what quality of light. So many portrait guys out there go with the Sears method of lighting main light umbrella fill light one stop down umbrellas and F/8 and the light stands are secured so you can't move them. Never learning quality of light let alone when to use an umbrella and when to use a softbox or when to use a short light, broad light or butterfly. My advice as always is start with one light and learn how the use it with an umbrella then with a softbox. Master that and learn the different quality of light and when to use a broad or a short light. How many times have you seen a portrait with a thin woman with a long nose shot with a short light and a normal lens or a heavy woman, round face with a broad light? Learn one light then add another and figure out what time you need a fail and when you don't. The only way to learn this and what worked best for you is to actually do it. Once you've started to get a grip then you know for yourself whats best for you. In my opinion a softbox in the tool kit is just anther way to get the right light in the right situation. Some things umbrellas are better at and some things softboxes are better at and the only real way is to find the answers yourself. Can't find the answer if you ain't got the tool.

Post #15, Aug 14, 2007 11:41:14 as a reply to Wilt's post 1 hour earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,307 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bounce or Shoot Through For Main Light
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES