Bounce or Shoot Through For Main Light

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 05:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,487 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

airfrogusmc,
There is a place for education, and there is a place to simply answer the question posed. Yes, we impart education, but one could answer the question and THEN add the 'there is a better way, however...' as follow on commentary. :)

And it is good for someone to master the simple stuff and progress up to the sophisticated stuff, learning at each milestone in their progress. Besides, many hobbists simply lack the space for softboxes to be used, whereas umbrellas occupy less space.

Am I doing you good, if you drive a Toyota Corolla, and I tell you how wonderfully you can escape accidents with the power and the clutchless manual transmission of the $50k car? Yes I am making you aware, but I am also not helping you to use your Corolla to best advantage.

Post #16, Aug 14, 2007 11:52:25

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
32,481 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Wilt I suggested a softbox then got jumped on for suggesting it. I still think its a good idea and its more than if you like brand a or brand b. I still think for the modest investment its a good idea. End a story :lol::lol:

Post #17, Aug 14, 2007 11:59:42 as a reply to Wilt's post 7 minutes earlier.

stefeb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,041 posts
NE Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

Whoa...there...folks..​.

All comments are taken with the spirit in which they were given. That is to educate. I am limited in funds right now, so although the softbox may be a good lighting tool, at the moment, it is not an option for me. But, I am glad to learn of the option.

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

Post #18, Aug 14, 2007 12:21:55 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post 22 minutes earlier.

Steve -
Gear List
My Photos - http://www.lehighvalle​yphotography.comexternal link
http://psc.photoshelte​r.com/user/stevefebbra​roexternal link

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

No one jumped on you. If that is your perception then I can't do anything about that. All I did was state exactly what Wilt just stated. Steve asked a question based on the tools he has and just spent money on. Others including myself answered his question referring to the tools he is asking about and owns. You chose to not answer his question at all and recommended that he spend money before he has even explored what he has.

How do you know that umbrellas are not sufficient for him? How do you know whether he is having trouble with basic lighting, in which case spending money on another modifier and being just as confused would do him no good.

I respect anyone that offers advice or help but you were not helping him with a recommendation of buying additional gear without even trying what hs just bought. He's nowhere near a position where everything is 'cookie cutter'. He has a learning curve ahead of him and can acquire a wealth of information with excellent results using his 2 umbrellas.

So since that is what he owns my suggestion was to help him use those umbrellas. If he finds he outgrows them or begins to feel the need for something else or better, then great, but for now, he has what he has and can learn huge amounts without spending a dime.

Post #19, Aug 14, 2007 12:25:31 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post 25 minutes earlier.

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bounce or Shoot Through For Main Light
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES