Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of August 2007 (Tue)   #16
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Bounce or Shoot Through For Main Light

airfrogusmc,
There is a place for education, and there is a place to simply answer the question posed. Yes, we impart education, but one could answer the question and THEN add the 'there is a better way, however...' as follow on commentary.

And it is good for someone to master the simple stuff and progress up to the sophisticated stuff, learning at each milestone in their progress. Besides, many hobbists simply lack the space for softboxes to be used, whereas umbrellas occupy less space.

Am I doing you good, if you drive a Toyota Corolla, and I tell you how wonderfully you can escape accidents with the power and the clutchless manual transmission of the $50k car? Yes I am making you aware, but I am also not helping you to use your Corolla to best advantage.

Last edited by Wilt : 14th of August 2007 (Tue) at 11:59.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of August 2007 (Tue)   #17
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

Wilt I suggested a softbox then got jumped on for suggesting it. I still think its a good idea and its more than if you like brand a or brand b. I still think for the modest investment its a good idea. End a story
airfrogusmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2007 (Tue)   #18
stefeb

Whoa...there...folks...

All comments are taken with the spirit in which they were given. That is to educate. I am limited in funds right now, so although the softbox may be a good lighting tool, at the moment, it is not an option for me. But, I am glad to learn of the option.

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

stefeb is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of August 2007 (Tue)   #19
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

No one jumped on you. If that is your perception then I can't do anything about that. All I did was state exactly what Wilt just stated. Steve asked a question based on the tools he has and just spent money on. Others including myself answered his question referring to the tools he is asking about and owns. You chose to not answer his question at all and recommended that he spend money before he has even explored what he has.

How do you know that umbrellas are not sufficient for him? How do you know whether he is having trouble with basic lighting, in which case spending money on another modifier and being just as confused would do him no good.

I respect anyone that offers advice or help but you were not helping him with a recommendation of buying additional gear without even trying what hs just bought. He's nowhere near a position where everything is 'cookie cutter'. He has a learning curve ahead of him and can acquire a wealth of information with excellent results using his 2 umbrellas.

So since that is what he owns my suggestion was to help him use those umbrellas. If he finds he outgrows them or begins to feel the need for something else or better, then great, but for now, he has what he has and can learn huge amounts without spending a dime.

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

Last edited by TMR Design : 14th of August 2007 (Tue) at 12:29.
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote