FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 15 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 13:17   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

GarrisonCarter
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2007
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

and first off i wanna say i cant wait to get the camera. This is my first camera, so i bought just the camera to fool around with until i get a feel and get use to it. But i was wondering if there are any immediate accesories or upgrades that i should worry about at the moment.

Post #1, Aug 15, 2007 13:17:54

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
royv
Joined Jun 2007
835 posts
The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

It's a great compact camera that shoots quite sharp images. good choice.
Apart from a bag and some extra rechargeable batteries, there aren't any real accesories you should have from the start..
Expect of some memory cards!!!

Congrats!

Post #2, Aug 15, 2007 15:22:23

Canon 1D mark III | Canon S95 | Sigma 50 1.4 | 17-40L | 135L | 70-200 2.8L
Flickrexternal link

mes448
Joined Sep 2005
38 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think you should consider getting a lens adapter and uv filter. I say this because the lens, as you know, is mechanical, extending every time you start the camera. The adapter keeps the extended lens safe from being bumped or hit accidently and keeps dust from getting into it, if you get a lensmate one you can put a uv filter on the end and you don't have to take it off and on, the lens extends inside the adapter and stops before the lens filter. Get a clip on cap and you don't have to be bothered by the cap falling off all the time and the lens being exposed to scratching.

I recommend Lensmate as I have one with the uv and its so convenient and safe.

Great camera choice.

Post #3, Aug 15, 2007 15:46:51

283CID
Joined May 2004
330 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Can you spell E N E L O O P batteries ? [grin]... and a 2 GB memory. **GREAT** little 'picture-taker'... Luv It ...

Post #4, Aug 15, 2007 17:56:04

JustShootin'
Joined Jan 2007
820 posts
South Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I think everything you need is listed above. I also think you will love your S3, 'cause it takes just down right great pictures!

Gary

Post #5, Aug 15, 2007 23:04:27 as a reply to 283CID's post 5 hours earlier.

Gary
Canon SX40, S100 and a Non Canon dSLR
“Any darn fool can make something complex;
it takes a genius to make something simple.”—Pete Seeger

sponsored links
Canon ­ Guy
Joined Jun 2006
98 posts
Vancouver, BC, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Just wait til you get bitten by the bug. Then you'll start buying things like high speed SD cards, wide angle lenses, polarizing filters...:).

But to start, like others have said - a bag, couple of sets of rechargeable batteries, and an SD card or two. I think other Sx IS owners would agree, a Lensmate adapter would be good to have at least to protect the zoom mechanism and give your left hand something more to hold on to. Whether or not you want to pop a UV filter on is up to you. There are some here that will use them to protect the lens, there are others who don't.

Post #6, Aug 15, 2007 23:48:49

300 HS
S110
Rebel XSi: EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 f1.8 II, 430 EXII

N/A
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
1,007 posts
Los Angeles, Ca.
[MORE/SHARE]

Welcome to the forums, Garrison. I'm a newbie here too. I agree with the previous posters. Soon after I got my S3 IS I purchased a 52 mm lens adapter, uv filter, and an inexpensive snap-on lens cap from lensmateonline.com. Then recently I picked up a circular polarizer filter. A 2 gig Sandisk card, batteries, charger, and basic case came bundled with my S3.

If you're planning on eventually buying wide angle and/or tele-converter lenses, I believe (at least I think I've read that) you'll need a 58mm adapter though; at least for Canon brand lenses. Maybe someone else here knows the facts about that? I'd suggest researching that before investing money in the 52mm.

Post #7, Aug 16, 2007 20:01:54 as a reply to Canon Guy's post 20 hours earlier.

- Jim

Aldwyn
Joined Aug 2007
317 posts
Columbia, Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

Here is a little S3 shot to get your excitement going. :) This was done in "landscape mode" from the balcony of my hotel room a few weeks ago...

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/aldwynn/Misc/dh.jpg

Post #8, Aug 16, 2007 20:29:09

Canon 5DMk2 * 24 - 105mm F4 L * 70-200 f/4 L IS * 100mm f/2.8 Macro * 50mm f/1.8 II * 70 - 300mm f/4 - 5.6 * 580EX II * 430EX * Some Bees * Some Pocket Lint * Camera Debt *

alucaaaaaa
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2007
5 posts
Brisbane,QLD Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Sanyo eneloop is a must I think. I got an eneloop recharge kit(4 batteries and a recharger) which costs me A$29, quite a good deal.

Post #9, Aug 20, 2007 09:08:42

whuband
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
1,364 posts
Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Garrison,

In order to avoid frustration, I would not try to learn all the functions at once since this is your first camera. Read through the manual so you know what is there. Then go shoot some photos on auto or P.

If you can learn something new each time you use the camera, soon you'll have it mastered. Now, as for photography, getting that mastered may take a little longer.

Good luck

Post #10, Aug 20, 2007 09:21:45

1DM4, couple of 7D's, Panasonic LX7, 10-22mm, 17-55mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bee 800's, tripods, stands, light modifiers, backgrounds, and (thanks to a friend) a well equipped studio to use.

CincyShooter
Joined Jul 2007
534 posts
Kentucky
[MORE/SHARE]

this was my first camera that was a "higher end" model. Anyways...I never even knew there were various modes under SCN lol

Post #11, Aug 22, 2007 18:15:15

sponsored links
volivier
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2007
6 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i'm ordering a s3 right now myself. Trying to figure out which memory card to purchase. I read that the sdhc card work, (http://www.dcresource.​com ...hot_s3-review/index.shtmlexternal link) is that what you'd recommend? I'm a newby at this stuff, and do you buy the 4Gb?

Post #12, Aug 23, 2007 13:09:41

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

What are you planning to do with the camera? Unless you're planning on using it for a lot of videos a regular 2 GB SD card's plenty (you get about 9 min. of TV-quality video per GB of card, so 17-18 on a 2 GB, in 9 min. clips which is a camera limitation). You should be able to get around 450-500 Large Superfine (best resolution) stills on a 2 GB card.

Post #13, Aug 23, 2007 13:40:52

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

volivier
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2007
6 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

don't want to hijack this thread... i plan on taking photo's of my kids at 4-H/FFA cattle shows and other normal family stuff. we live in the country on a farm so outdoor, kids, animals, school graduations. I have a reef aquarium I want to photo too.

Post #14, Aug 23, 2007 13:52:21 as a reply to Jon's post 11 minutes earlier.

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

So a 2 GB card or two should be plenty.

Post #15, Aug 23, 2007 14:05:12

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,722 views & 0 likes for this thread
So i just ordered the canon s3.....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES