Affordable gallery frames w/mats

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 18 Aug 2007 (Saturday) 06:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dougsturgess
Joined Jul 2002
380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I want to find a good looking gallery style frame, perhaps 16x20 for an 8x12 print that I can buy in bulk to hang prints in some galleries. Going to the frame shop is expensive!

Has anyone found any good online frame shops?

Thanks.

Post #1, Aug 18, 2007 06:35:56

Doug Sturgess
www.sturgessart.comexternal link
doug-sturgess.artistwebsite​s.com

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
B3SEO
Joined Jul 2007
783 posts
Washington State
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm in interested in this also, but specifically for 13X19" prints. The frame shops are really pricey, as the OP already knows.

Post #2, Aug 18, 2007 10:41:23

Step back please... I'm armed with a camera...

Uhland
Joined Feb 2007
864 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

in for answers

Post #3, Aug 20, 2007 03:01:38

:mrgreen:http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

beachbum2277
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
1,064 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

dougsturgess wrote in post #3748913external link
I want to find a good looking gallery style frame, perhaps 16x20 for an 8x12 print that I can buy in bulk to hang prints in some galleries. Going to the frame shop is expensive!

What do you mean by "gallery style" frames?

Post #4, Aug 20, 2007 14:35:48

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.comexternal link

My Gear

KirkHMB
Joined Mar 2007
677 posts
SF Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

As the beachbum says, what are gallery style frames. Disregarding that piece of info, my personal favorite is pictureframes.com, which is Graphik Dimensions.

Lots of variety, custom sizes at no extra cost, quick delivery.

Post #5, Aug 20, 2007 16:47:27

shooting club VB and club soccer, hoping to get back to landscape work soon.

Gear List

sponsored links
Uhland
Joined Feb 2007
864 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

KirkHMB wrote in post #3762742external link
As the beachbum says, what are gallery style frames. Disregarding that piece of info, my personal favorite is pictureframes.com, which is Graphik Dimensions.

Lots of variety, custom sizes at no extra cost, quick delivery.

nice site. Will bookmark that.

Anyone know of a good place to buy bulk or inexpensive frames?
Would like to print out some large prints of some of my work and give them as xmas gifts. Dont want to break the bank on frames tho.
Or should I just hit the local Wall-Mart?

Post #6, Aug 21, 2007 20:21:38

:mrgreen:http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

beachbum2277
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
1,064 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Uhland wrote in post #3771125external link
nice site. Will bookmark that.

Anyone know of a good place to buy bulk or inexpensive frames?
Would like to print out some large prints of some of my work and give them as xmas gifts. Dont want to break the bank on frames tho.
Or should I just hit the local Wall-Mart?

Actually what I do most of the time is hit Michael's Craft Store or JoAnn Fabrics. Every week they have a coupon for 40% of any one item in the store....

Post #7, Aug 21, 2007 20:50:45

My Gear

Transcendence
Joined Feb 2007
96 posts
Blacklick, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

I am a custom Framer as well as a photographer. What did you have in mind as far as a particular style of frame goes? Also do you want to use a conservation mat and what type of glass? There are inexpensive ways to frame and really expensive ways to frame. I can probably put something together fairly reasonable. Also what Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics are doing is deceptive advertising. The framing industry is throwing a fit over it. If you have a 40% off sale every week then its not a sale. Its the actual price. They mark up their frames so high that even with their so called 40% off sale they are still usually more expensive than most frame shops.

Post #8, Aug 21, 2007 21:08:33

beachbum2277
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
1,064 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Transcendence wrote in post #3771400external link
I am a custom Framer as well as a photographer. What did you have in mind as far as a particular style of frame goes? Also do you want to use a conservation mat and what type of glass? There are inexpensive ways to frame and really expensive ways to frame. I can probably put something together fairly reasonable. Also what Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics are doing is deceptive advertising. The framing industry is throwing a fit over it. If you have a 40% off sale every week then its not a sale. Its the actual price. They mark up their frames so high that even with their so called 40% off sale they are still usually more expensive than most frame shops.

I'm not talking about the 50% off coupon Michael's offers on their custom framing. I'm talking about their 40% off coupon on any item in the store. I totally agree with you about the custom framing and the crazy prices they do charge though.

Post #9, Aug 21, 2007 21:26:18

My Gear

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
642 posts
Atlanta, Ga
[MORE/SHARE]

I buy Nielson Bainbridge 11x14 gallery frames with mat at my local Sam Flax. They are $24 each and look great in the studio.

Post #10, Aug 21, 2007 21:44:45

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

punkybeth
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2006
9 posts
Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Doug,

I just came across this company the other day www.documounts.comexternal link. I am going to be ordering mats from them for an up coming art show. Their prices for mats are great! The also have some standard frames available (not the variety of frames like pictureframes.com but good enough for a gallery presentation). Take a look for yourself, and see what you think.

Good luck!

Robyn

dougsturgess wrote in post #3748913external link

Has anyone found any good online frame shops?

Thanks.

Post #11, Aug 22, 2007 14:24:58

sponsored links
throughlens
Joined Jan 2010
41 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I use Gallery2 and looks very good for me, not like a flash one but you have several skins to choose.

You can look at my site to see how it looks.

Post #12, Feb 28, 2010 16:17:56

Some of my photos at this small digital photo art galleryexternal link.
---------------
My profile on flickrexternal link.

golfecho
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,295 posts
Perry, Georgia
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a thought . . .

I am a woodworker by hobby, and make my own frames. I'm always experimenting on different styles, stains/paints, etc. It is easy to go "into production" if there is a consistent seize you want.

There are plenty of folks out there with more table saw and tools than they need. Try placing an ad in Craig's List for a woodworker/hobbyist interested in making a couple dozen frames. They might be able to make just what you want at a reasonable price, and you could specify various finishes (or do your own).

Post #13, Mar 01, 2010 09:20:11 as a reply to throughlens's post 17 hours earlier.

Facebookexternal link or Websiteexternal link

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2008
9,334 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

www.matshop.caexternal link

I'm pretty sure this is where custom framers go to get their supplies...pretty damn cheap and the quality, shipping and service is paramount.

I find custom framing everything absurdly expensive. Almost to the point where I can't make a gain. If I sell 4000$ worth of framed prints I may only return about 500. That's a horrible profit margin.

Post #14, Mar 01, 2010 11:15:16

Adventurous Photographer, Writerexternal link & Wedding Photographerexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,462 views & 0 likes for this thread
Affordable gallery frames w/mats
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES