Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of August 2007 (Sat)   #1
dougsturgess

Default Affordable gallery frames w/mats

I want to find a good looking gallery style frame, perhaps 16x20 for an 8x12 print that I can buy in bulk to hang prints in some galleries. Going to the frame shop is expensive!

Has anyone found any good online frame shops?

Thanks.
dougsturgess is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of August 2007 (Sat)   #2
B3SEO

Default Re: Affordable gallery frames w/mats

I'm in interested in this also, but specifically for 13X19" prints. The frame shops are really pricey, as the OP already knows.
Other Stuff - Manfrotto Tripods/Heads, Domke bag, Pelikan Cases
B3SEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of August 2007 (Mon)   #3
Uhland

in for answers
Old 20th of August 2007 (Mon)   #4
beachbum2277

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsturgess View Post
I want to find a good looking gallery style frame, perhaps 16x20 for an 8x12 print that I can buy in bulk to hang prints in some galleries. Going to the frame shop is expensive!
What do you mean by "gallery style" frames?

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com

My Gear

beachbum2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of August 2007 (Mon)   #5
KirkHMB

As the beachbum says, what are gallery style frames. Disregarding that piece of info, my personal favorite is pictureframes.com, which is Graphik Dimensions.

Lots of variety, custom sizes at no extra cost, quick delivery.

Gear List
KirkHMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of August 2007 (Tue)   #6
Uhland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkHMB View Post
As the beachbum says, what are gallery style frames. Disregarding that piece of info, my personal favorite is pictureframes.com, which is Graphik Dimensions.

Lots of variety, custom sizes at no extra cost, quick delivery.
nice site. Will bookmark that.

Anyone know of a good place to buy bulk or inexpensive frames?
Would like to print out some large prints of some of my work and give them as xmas gifts. Dont want to break the bank on frames tho.
Or should I just hit the local Wall-Mart?
Old 21st of August 2007 (Tue)   #7
beachbum2277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhland View Post
nice site. Will bookmark that.

Anyone know of a good place to buy bulk or inexpensive frames?
Would like to print out some large prints of some of my work and give them as xmas gifts. Dont want to break the bank on frames tho.
Or should I just hit the local Wall-Mart?
Actually what I do most of the time is hit Michael's Craft Store or JoAnn Fabrics. Every week they have a coupon for 40% of any one item in the store....

My Gear

Old 21st of August 2007 (Tue)   #8
Transcendence

I am a custom Framer as well as a photographer. What did you have in mind as far as a particular style of frame goes? Also do you want to use a conservation mat and what type of glass? There are inexpensive ways to frame and really expensive ways to frame. I can probably put something together fairly reasonable. Also what Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics are doing is deceptive advertising. The framing industry is throwing a fit over it. If you have a 40% off sale every week then its not a sale. Its the actual price. They mark up their frames so high that even with their so called 40% off sale they are still usually more expensive than most frame shops.
Transcendence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of August 2007 (Tue)   #9
beachbum2277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcendence View Post
I am a custom Framer as well as a photographer. What did you have in mind as far as a particular style of frame goes? Also do you want to use a conservation mat and what type of glass? There are inexpensive ways to frame and really expensive ways to frame. I can probably put something together fairly reasonable. Also what Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics are doing is deceptive advertising. The framing industry is throwing a fit over it. If you have a 40% off sale every week then its not a sale. Its the actual price. They mark up their frames so high that even with their so called 40% off sale they are still usually more expensive than most frame shops.
I'm not talking about the 50% off coupon Michael's offers on their custom framing. I'm talking about their 40% off coupon on any item in the store. I totally agree with you about the custom framing and the crazy prices they do charge though.

My Gear

Old 21st of August 2007 (Tue)   #10
tcphoto1

I buy Nielson Bainbridge 11x14 gallery frames with mat at my local Sam Flax. They are $24 each and look great in the studio.
tcphoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of August 2007 (Wed)   #11
punkybeth

Hi Doug,

I just came across this company the other day www.documounts.com. I am going to be ordering mats from them for an up coming art show. Their prices for mats are great! The also have some standard frames available (not the variety of frames like pictureframes.com but good enough for a gallery presentation). Take a look for yourself, and see what you think.

Good luck!

Robyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsturgess View Post

Has anyone found any good online frame shops?

Thanks.
punkybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #12
throughlens

I use Gallery2 and looks very good for me, not like a flash one but you have several skins to choose.

You can look at my site to see how it looks.
throughlens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of March 2010 (Mon)   #13
golfecho

Here's a thought . . .

I am a woodworker by hobby, and make my own frames. I'm always experimenting on different styles, stains/paints, etc. It is easy to go "into production" if there is a consistent seize you want.

There are plenty of folks out there with more table saw and tools than they need. Try placing an ad in Craig's List for a woodworker/hobbyist interested in making a couple dozen frames. They might be able to make just what you want at a reasonable price, and you could specify various finishes (or do your own).
Old 1st of March 2010 (Mon)   #14
Karl Johnston
Rare exception that I didn't say anything stupid"

www.matshop.ca

I'm pretty sure this is where custom framers go to get their supplies...pretty damn cheap and the quality, shipping and service is paramount.

I find custom framing everything absurdly expensive. Almost to the point where I can't make a gain. If I sell 4000$ worth of framed prints I may only return about 500. That's a horrible profit margin.

Last edited by Karl Johnston : 1st of March 2010 (Mon) at 11:20.
Karl Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote