Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of July 2004 (Sun)   #1
Eastcoast

Default Event photography. Do you charge a fee?

Hi all.

I need some advice for my skating club. We hold an annual skating event over a three day period. It is very well attended, normally we have over 300 competitors in that time frame.

Traditionally there are photographers and/or videograhpers in attendance that take photographs and sell them at a venue in the rink. We (the event committee)have started charging a nominal fee to the photographers to allow them admittance to take and sell pictures. We started that after a year of a no show and there were no photographs available .

This year I have been in contact with a firm that does sporting events and their web site says that they do not charge to attend the event. They are not local and would need to stay overnight at hotels and now wish to charge us a fee to come and shoot at the event.

The event does not get any money from the photographs, we merely provide the opportunity and space to the company to practice their craft and business.

The question I have is:

Is it normal for these types of companies to charge a fee to shoot the events? If they charge a fee then do we (the event committee) have a right to a percentage of the profits?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience in these types of arrangements.

Thanks all,

Be careful out there!
Eastcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of July 2004 (Sun)   #2
Vegas Poboy

I'm slowly breaking my way into the event scence and so far I've found out there is no one way to charge everyone. When doing little league baseball the organizations looks for a non profit kickback in order to allow you on the field.
From what I've been learning so far most children or non-profit clubs is working this way as fund raising. It can be a good profit for both or bust. Depending on the event and the $$$ that help support it. Most of the event photographers I've read about charges the group a fee to make sure they will at least break even for thier time & equipment.
Hoping you'll get more input than mine,
Good Luck
Old 4th of July 2004 (Sun)   #3
Conk
Goldmember

Is there not some legal issues with modelling and releases?
Conk is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of July 2004 (Sun)   #4
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

If a photographer shows up to shoot an event, it is a wise idea to have an agreement with the sponsoring club. The club can agree to letting the photographer shoot and gives rights to the photographer. Otherwise, the photographer has to run around and try to get any subject to sign a model release (which may be difficult). This agreement may have money stated, or it may have a clause like "The photographer provides one free print from each event to the club."

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2004 (Sun)   #5
IndyJeff

eastcoast, I am just breaking into the event photography business. I have landed one high school football team and am working on 4 baseball leagues for next year.
I have not mentioned anything about charging them and so far, nobody has asked about a kick back. The hs football team did agree to me shooting and selling photos thru my online store in return for a minimum of 10 photos for use on their website. I thought that was more than fair and the images I provide will be of low resolution and basically if someone does a save and tries to print, well even a 4x6 comes out pretty grainy and not worth the effort.

I haven't mentioned a kick back to the baseball leagues as of yet but, I will use that as a selling point to close the deal if I need to inorder to get the contract.

As for your situation, I wouldn't pay them to come and shoot the event. If they want a guarentee, because of hotel, travel and food expense, then I see nothing wrong with giving them a guarentee that they will make XXX amount on sales to cover the expenses. I would also ask that a true accounting 30 days after the event be sent to your organization and a percentage of total sales be paid to the organization. This way they are guarenteed that they will not spend any money to cover the event. If they make enough in sales, they make money, the league makes money and everyone is happy.
IndyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2004 (Sun)   #6
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff
I haven't mentioned a kick back to the baseball leagues as of yet ...
Don't call it a kickback. That sounds so crass.

Call it a mutual business arrangement.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2004 (Sun)   #7
IndyJeff

LOL Actually Bob I don't call it a kick back when I contact the leagues. I don't mention it at all. On a followup letter I do say the leagues can raise funds without any investment or risk of league money by getting a percentage of the sales. So far I am set on 10%. If anyone wants more than that I am going to ask that a minimum guarentee be given for sales by the league.

Just for anyone who is thinking of doing event photography I found a great site for finding leads. Visit eteamz.com click on the sport your interested in, enter your zipcode and you will be looking at a list of teams and leagues registered in eteamz.

What I have been doing over the past few days is searching that site and sending an email telling about my business. I also give them a link to my site where they can see what we do.

My suggestion, if your really serious, get a pro site like I did on printroom (if they ask for a reference please mention IndySportPhotos) which costs $99 to get started. Then I went to godaddy and registered my domain name, $16 for 2 years. I then linked the ISP.com to my printroom site and masked it. Now if I tell someone to go to IndySportPhotos.com they actually go to the printroom site but the browser bar still tells them they are at ISP.com.

So far I have had a few sales off that site and everything went smooth as could be. Do yourself one favor tho, download the Studio Manager, I think is what it was. Makes the uploads easy and quick, even with my dialup. It creates a thumbnail and when you have a sale it notifies you of what images you need to upload to fulfill the order. No need to upload a bunch of full size files. Just make sure your file names on the site are coordinated with file names on the cd you created to archive them. When you get an order the file name is listed as well as the image itself but, having the file name makes it real easy. I list them as 01, 02, 03 etc and then off the next card I continue with 01a, 02a, o3a etc and on to 01b, 02b 03b etc.
Also be sure to click on the "contact us" button and give them a call. Ask to speak with your sales manager. Mine is a guy named Jim and he has been very helpful and given me some good advice and suggestions. I can't recommend them enough. I know there are other sites out there that are free but, you get what you pay for. I checked out several vendors of this sort before deciding on printroom.

Good luck and if your in the Indy area, please disregard this information. LOL I don't mind helping someone out but, I don't want to do all the leg work and research to have them compete with me.
IndyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2004 (Sun)   #8
Eastcoast

Default Event photography. Do you charge a fee?

Thanks ever so much for all the info and feed back on this.

As I stated before the selling of the photographs was never intended to be a money raising venture for the club, they are there to provide memories for the skaters of the event.

We have always had photographers at the event and they have always taken care of the selling and promoting of their work and photographs.
We (the club) have let them have free rein. The major problem we have had in our area is having a reliable photographer available for the contestants to use .

I would conservatively estimate that at least 1/3 of all the entrants purchase photographs. We have never had less then 300 entrants so that the conservative amount (gross) would be 100 times the charge amount of the photographs (I believe last year it was $20 to $25 CDN).

This is not a huge amount of money for 3 days work (we start at 7 in the morn and end normally around 10 in the night) but I think it should more than take care of expenses plus provide a great publicity for the photographer.

You have all provided me with enough information to make some reasonable negotiations points. I appreciate all the feedback and information, thanks once again.

Be careful out there!
Eastcoast is offline   Reply With Quote