Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of August 2007 (Wed)   #1
Maddog12

Location: Not the end of the world but I can see it from here
Question My Draft "Permission to Print" form

I have drafted the following form so that if my customers were asked to provide a release from their chosen printing lab, they would be able to print the pics. I just want something simple.

Would this be a sufficient form to allow my customer to print my photos?

Am I forgetting anything on the form?

/
/

Permission to Print

I, NAME HERE (“Photographer”), give full permission to _______ (“Customer”) toprint the images on this disk. Customer has the right to adjust and print these photos as desired.

Photographer releases Customer from any copyright infringement.

Signed: _______________

Dated: __________________

Number of photos on this disk:
Date photos were taken:
Other:

All images are (c) copyright 2007 NAME HERE.

(xxx) xxx-xxx
Maddog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of August 2007 (Wed)   #2
PhotosGuy

Default Re: My Draft "Permission to Print" form

I don't see why that wouldn't work, but I'd add your phone number so they could call you if necessary to confirm your permission.
Edit toprint to "to print".

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
PhotosGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of August 2007 (Wed)   #3
Curtis N
Master Flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog12 View Post
Photographer releases Customer from any copyright infringement.
This part gives your customer too much lattitude. I think it's better to specifically state what you are allowing them to do.

My CDs have the following statement printed right on the label:
"All images on this CD are copyright (photographer's name here). License is granted to make prints for personal use. It is illegal to copy the CD, and any commercial use is prohibited."

The CD label also contains my phone number if the lab want to call for verification. I have never received any such calls.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of November 2012 (Tue)   #4
javapop

Is it good to give a hard copy? Or could you put a PDF on the disk? Glad I found this tonight! Thanks!
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #5
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

My language for personal images:

You have a perpetual license to freely reproduce these photographs for personal use only, not for commercial or publicity use.

My language for business images:

You have a perpetual license to freely reproduce these photographs for commercial and publicity purposes with the exceptions of billboards, packaging, and television. Those licenses are available as additional options.

Last edited by RDKirk : 22nd of November 2012 (Thu) at 06:43.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #6
PeaceFire
Goldmember

Yes, be sure to add that the photographer (you) retain the copyright and prints are to be made for personal use only, and not for commercial or other use.

Also, this is just a personal thing, but change the font. The chosen font looks like something a 12 year old would choose and lacks a professional feel. If I were a print lab and that was handed to me I'd assume it was faked.
Old 22nd of November 2012 (Thu)   #7
casp3r

Quote:
Customer has the right to adjust and print these photos as desired.
You have given the customer the images based on your vision and editing, do you really want to give them permission to mess around with them, print them off and show them to their friends saying 'Yea Maddog took these'.
casp3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2012 (Sat)   #8
vtf

What links your slip to that disk w/o having to view it on a computer? Have a code printed on the disk itself, and title the disk with the same code when burning images to it. Make the statement on the release - NAME HERE (“Photographer”), give full permission to _______ (“Customer”) to print the images on disk labeled mia03202012. By doing this a customer cannot use the same release for other disks.
Canon 350 xt | Gripped | Vivtar Flash | Bower Flash | 18-55mm | 70-200L f4 | 50mm f1.8 | 75-300mm | Driftwood Canvas Backpack
vtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of November 2012 (Sat)   #9
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtf View Post
What links your slip to that disk w/o having to view it on a computer? Have a code printed on the disk itself, and title the disk with the same code when burning images to it. Make the statement on the release - NAME HERE (“Photographer”), give full permission to _______ (“Customer”) to print the images on disk labeled mia03202012. By doing this a customer cannot use the same release for other disks.
Don't worry about it that much. If you sell digital images, simply always allow them to print. There's no point trying to control it--create a sales model that gains sufficient profit, then give them license to print. They're going to print anyway--that's why they wanted digital images.

If you're going to sell digital images, it's futile to try to control the printing. Therefore it doesn't matter whether a specific license is chained to a specific image.

Now, this is with regard to images sold to consumer clients. Images sold to commercial firms are a different matter. But even then, it's usually not necessary to tie the license to specific images.

All I do on the disk itself is add a line in small print at the bottom of the disk: "License to copy granted to xxxxx by RDKirk Studio." That's good enough for Wal-Mart. I give the customer a paper copy of the actual license.

Last edited by RDKirk : 24th of November 2012 (Sat) at 21:59.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote