Thread started 03 Sep 2007 (Monday) 08:00   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

snatiep
Joined Jan 2007
537 posts
St. Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello Everyone!

I have a S3 and want to get an adapter tube and UV filter for protection from lensmate. I'm not sure if I should get the 52mm or the 58mm.

Down the road I may want to get the Raynox 6600Pro Wide Angle lens which needs the 52mm adapter tube. Can I just get the 58mm-52mm step down ring and use it that way when I decide to? I saw on the lensmate website that they have step down and step up rings for many different configurations.

Thank you very much for any help!

Post #1, Sep 03, 2007 08:00:33

Nate
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Alex_H
Joined Jun 2007
402 posts
Gaylord, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes you can get a step down ring. That's what I do. :)

Post #2, Sep 03, 2007 09:59:13

Camera: Canon a640
Lenses: Tokina 3x telephoto and .5 wide angle
My Photobucket Galleryexternal link

mes448
Joined Sep 2005
38 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If the Raynox lens you intend to get uses a 52mm adapter, I would just get the 52mm adapter, why would you get the 58mm if you don't need it?

The Lensmate 52mm adapter sits more snugly against the extended lens and looks nicer than the 58mm. And any filters, like the UV you intend to get are less expensive in 52mm than 58mm.

I have the Lensmate 52mm adapter and the UV lens. They are excellent. Just be sure to get the clip on lens cap as the Canon will not fit the new set up.

Post #3, Sep 03, 2007 10:00:45

sonnyJ
Joined Aug 2005
213 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree - just get the 52. Why would you want the 58? Larger filters cost more.

I have 2 of the 52mm adapters. Use one with the UV all the time. Then have 2nd with the wide or teleconverter. Makes switching lens much easier - almost like SLR. Plus provides protection via the UV filter and a place to grip when not using converter

Post #4, Sep 05, 2007 00:53:48

DirePenguin
Joined Apr 2007
65 posts
Central Pennsylvania, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I decided, shortly before purchasing my Lensmate adapter, that I'd eventually go with the Raynox DCR-1540PRO (which is 52mm) so I went with the 52mm adapter. Having just received the 1540PRO for my b-day, I'm very happy with it! :)

The filters are cheaper, too.

The only reason to get the 58mm adapter is if you are *certain* you'll be using 58mm lenses.

And, in most cases (TC, at least, not so much with WA) you can just use step rings.

Post #5, Sep 05, 2007 08:16:24 as a reply to sonnyJ's post 7 hours earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sonnyJ
Joined Aug 2005
213 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just remember with step rings you can get "ring" around your photos similar to backing off zoom with teleconverter. Step rings change overall range you can use without problem. With my teleconverter if I back off the zoom and see the black circle around the screen I just remove the converter and zoom in with the basic lens

Post #6, Sep 06, 2007 19:05:45

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,429 views & 0 likes for this thread
S3 and lensmate adapter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES