Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of September 2007 (Mon)   #1
snatiep

Question S3 and lensmate adapter?

Hello Everyone!

I have a S3 and want to get an adapter tube and UV filter for protection from lensmate. I'm not sure if I should get the 52mm or the 58mm.

Down the road I may want to get the Raynox 6600Pro Wide Angle lens which needs the 52mm adapter tube. Can I just get the 58mm-52mm step down ring and use it that way when I decide to? I saw on the lensmate website that they have step down and step up rings for many different configurations.

Thank you very much for any help!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of September 2007 (Mon)   #2
Alex_H

Default Re: S3 and lensmate adapter?

Yes you can get a step down ring. That's what I do.
Alex_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of September 2007 (Mon)   #3
mes448

If the Raynox lens you intend to get uses a 52mm adapter, I would just get the 52mm adapter, why would you get the 58mm if you don't need it?

The Lensmate 52mm adapter sits more snugly against the extended lens and looks nicer than the 58mm. And any filters, like the UV you intend to get are less expensive in 52mm than 58mm.

I have the Lensmate 52mm adapter and the UV lens. They are excellent. Just be sure to get the clip on lens cap as the Canon will not fit the new set up.
mes448 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of September 2007 (Wed)   #4
sonnyJ

I agree - just get the 52. Why would you want the 58? Larger filters cost more.

I have 2 of the 52mm adapters. Use one with the UV all the time. Then have 2nd with the wide or teleconverter. Makes switching lens much easier - almost like SLR. Plus provides protection via the UV filter and a place to grip when not using converter
sonnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of September 2007 (Wed)   #5
DirePenguin

I decided, shortly before purchasing my Lensmate adapter, that I'd eventually go with the Raynox DCR-1540PRO (which is 52mm) so I went with the 52mm adapter. Having just received the 1540PRO for my b-day, I'm very happy with it!

The filters are cheaper, too.

The only reason to get the 58mm adapter is if you are *certain* you'll be using 58mm lenses.

And, in most cases (TC, at least, not so much with WA) you can just use step rings.
DirePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2007 (Thu)   #6
sonnyJ

Just remember with step rings you can get "ring" around your photos similar to backing off zoom with teleconverter. Step rings change overall range you can use without problem. With my teleconverter if I back off the zoom and see the black circle around the screen I just remove the converter and zoom in with the basic lens
sonnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote