Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of July 2004 (Sat)   #1
arul_nandha

Default Selective focus

Hello all,

In A80, how can we focus on different subject when those subjects are located in differnt distance (let us say 5ft, 7 ft, 10 ft, from left to right).

I see only one Centre point in Manual settings. I would appreciate if you could explain me how to change my focus on different subject?

Thanks alot.

Arul
arul_nandha is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of July 2004 (Tue)   #2
stopbath

Default Re: Selective focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arul_nandha
Hello all,

In A80, how can we focus on different subject when those subjects are located in differnt distance (let us say 5ft, 7 ft, 10 ft, from left to right).

I see only one Centre point in Manual settings. I would appreciate if you could explain me how to change my focus on different subject?

Thanks alot.

Arul
The usual way for the camera is to select center focus, and then aim at the subject, lock focus, recompose the shot with the subject where you want it in the image.
stopbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of July 2004 (Tue)   #3
Don Schaeffer

The trouble is that digital cameras use very short focal lenth lenses so that depth of field is very long (everything looks like its in focus). The best differential focus is achieved using software. Cut out the item you want sharp. Copy it to the buffer. In the image, use a blur or softening filter tomake everything blurry. Repaste the sharp element back into the photo.

--Don
Don Schaeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #4
arul_nandha

Without using any external software, how do we achived those focus? Because, i am not much familiar with software which is being used for after shot processing.

By the way, in A80 Portrait mode does the same effect. but i don't want to use any of those builtin setting, i just use M-manual mode for all the pictures am taking.

One more thing.. what is the use of P - program mode. is it just to set C1 and C2 custom settings or is it beyond that? And when i use P mode, i don't see any option to set shutter or aperture, why?? if we can set, please let me know.
arul_nandha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #5
stopbath

Auto : Everything is set by camera.
P : Basics such as ISO, Flash are set by you, exposure by camera
A : Basics and Aperture set by you, exposure by camera.
T: Basics and speed set by you, exposure by camera.
Manual : Everything set by you.

It's all in the degree of how much you want the camera to guess for you. (Auto = full guess work)
stopbath is offline   Reply With Quote