Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #1
mttmrphy

Default Lens question - indoor sports WA

This is my first lens question... I think I am allowed two?

I will be shooting indoor sports this winter. Mostly hockey. I think I am pretty good with long range but I am looking for a wide angle.

I have narrowed my choices down to

Canon 17-35 2.8
Canon 17-40 4

I know Sigma makes a few lenses in this range but I don't think the quality compares to Canon.

I am concerned that 17 may not be wide enough on my 10D/300D. My biggest concern is that the 17-40 will not be fast enough but I am afraid the 17-35 may be too soft wide open.

Can anyone help me?
mttmrphy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #2
GenEOS

Indoor Sports = f2.8
Even a Sigma f2.8 is better than an f4.
You will need the speed.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=2474
GenEOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #3
DaveG
Goldmember

Default Re: Lens question - indoor sports WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttmrphy
This is my first lens question... I think I am allowed two?

I will be shooting indoor sports this winter. Mostly hockey. I think I am pretty good with long range but I am looking for a wide angle.

I have narrowed my choices down to

Canon 17-35 2.8
Canon 17-40 4

I know Sigma makes a few lenses in this range but I don't think the quality compares to Canon.

I am concerned that 17 may not be wide enough on my 10D/300D. My biggest concern is that the 17-40 will not be fast enough but I am afraid the 17-35 may be too soft wide open.

Can anyone help me?
I've shot over 500 hockey games and I've rarely used a wide angle for action. About the only shot that you could expect to get would be a player being checked up against the glass. That shot requires a next to the glass position, lots of patience, and is kind of a one trick pony.

The exposure is tricky too since the player will be in the shadow of the light that's lighting the ice surface. The good thing is that the player isn't moving very fast after he's smashed into the boards and a slow lens won't hurt much. I used my Nikkor 20mm f4 for this shot a few times, so you also might want to think about the 14mm f2.8.

In any case if you are using the rink's available light then speed is extremely important. From the ice level to one side of the net I used to use a Nikkor 180 f2.8 and an 85 f1.8 on a F3 film camera. From the penalty box or the stands I'd use a 300 f2.8. Of course if you can light the ice surface with catwalk mounted strobes then the lens speed isn't important.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #4
scott stokes

? where did you see canon 17-35 2.8. i have not seen one. thanks for any info.
scott stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #5
dn7elson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott stokes
? where did you see canon 17-35 2.8. i have not seen one. thanks for any info.
Probably means the 16-35 f2.8

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...648&is=USA
dn7elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #6
Tom W
Canon Fanosapien

There are some used 17-35 f/2.8 lenses floating around occasionally. From what I have heard, its not as good as the 16-35 though.
Old 14th of July 2004 (Wed)   #7
mttmrphy

The 17-35 2.8 was replaced by the 16-35 2.8

the 16-35 is a better lens but pretty expensive.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 15th of July 2004 (Thu)   #8
Danny Boy

mttmurphy...

You indicated you were covered w/ your long range lens when shooting indoor sports like hockey. Just wondering what lens you are using for that. I'm in the same boat there and am looking for an indoor lens zoom lens. Looking at the 70-200 but the f/2.8 is soooooo much more expensive than the f/4 but if the f/4 doesn't work, then my decision is easy. Let me know.

Thanks.
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2004 (Thu)   #9
DaveG
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy
mttmurphy...

You indicated you were covered w/ your long range lens when shooting indoor sports like hockey. Just wondering what lens you are using for that. I'm in the same boat there and am looking for an indoor lens zoom lens. Looking at the 70-200 but the f/2.8 is soooooo much more expensive than the f/4 but if the f/4 doesn't work, then my decision is easy. Let me know.

Thanks.
The f4 will be too slow in all but the brightest rinks. Hockey is the fastest inside sport (not involving motorcyscles) that you'll ever shoot, so you'll need all the shutterspeed you can grasp. 1/1000 @ f2.8 is going to be a lot better than 1/500 @ f4.

I love to point out to football players that football is so easy to shoot because it's so slow. When they start to grumble I point out that a hockey referee skating backwards is faster them them running full out. That's probably an exageration but not by much!
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2004 (Thu)   #10
Danny Boy

Dave,

Thanks for that info. That is exactly what I needed to know.
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2004 (Thu)   #11
mttmrphy

I went to the venue last night to familiarize myself with the different areas to shoot from. Now I'm not so sure a wide angle will suit my purposes here.

Actually I am afraid my 120-300 2.8 may be too long for certain situations.

I am now in the market for the 70-200 2.8