Transfer lightroom files from one computer to another

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 10 Sep 2007 (Monday) 09:34   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Sageg
Joined Oct 2005
521 posts
Montreal
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi, I found a thread on the weekend on how to transfer lightroom files (and edits) from one computer (pc laptop/work) to another computer (mac/home), but I can't find the thread anymore. I've tried a bunch of different word combinations, but can't seem to come up with the right combination.

If anyone has a link to the the thread that explains how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

(note: the computers are not on the same network)

Thanks so much!

Post #1, Sep 10, 2007 09:34:47

Sarah

Eyes, hands, brains, legs

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2005
19,808 posts
Near Charlotte, NC.
[MORE/SHARE]

With the release of 1.1 you no longer need to do complicated workarounds to move files. It is much easier now. I just did this recently after being on a trip. I used my laptop to store the files and rate/edit each night after download. I then needed to transfer the files to my desktop at home. Here is how I did it.

You need to decide how you are going to move the files. External Hard Drive, thumb drive (for small transfers), burn to CD/DVD, or across a network (which is what I did). Once you determine your method all you need to do is Export the catalog and be sure to include the files and/or previews. You can do this for all files or only some files and either is rather easy.

1. In the Library module select all the files you wish to move (actually you will be copying). If doing the whole catalog skip this step.

2. Press Alt/Option and Export in the left panel becomes Export Catalog. Click it.

3. A new window appears with some choices. Select your destination for the copy process. There are 3 options at the bottom. One is for only selected files or whole catalog, one for previews, and one for the files themselves. Click the options you wish to have. I only did the catalog so I had none of the options selected. I moved my files manually but now that I have done it once I think it would make just as much sense to do the files and previews if room allows and the speed of your transfer medium is fast.

4. Click OK and let LR do its thing. Once finished you need to Import the files to the other catalog. Go to your other machine open LR and select Import from Catalog (IIRC).

5. Select the location of the catalog you just Exported.

6. Select which folders you wish to Import. Click OK and let LR do its thing.

I have only done this once and it worked well. I think I have everything here that you need but I might be wrong. Let me know if you need any help.

Post #2, Sep 10, 2007 10:36:49

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

Sageg
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2005
521 posts
Montreal
[MORE/SHARE]

Brilliant! I'll do it tonight. Thanks!! :)

Post #3, Sep 10, 2007 10:40:48

Sarah

Eyes, hands, brains, legs

johnj2803
Joined May 2009
850 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

just to revive this thread. :D

my LR files (RAW) are in an external HD already, but i will be transfering to a new computer (from mac to another mac)

how will the new computer know that my images are in an external drive already?

will this procedure still work for me? my LR version is 2.4

thanks

Post #4, Jul 20, 2009 09:25:16

My flickrexternal link

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2005
19,808 posts
Near Charlotte, NC.
[MORE/SHARE]

johnj2803 wrote in post #8311297external link
just to revive this thread. :D

my LR files (RAW) are in an external HD already, but i will be transfering to a new computer (from mac to another mac)

how will the new computer know that my images are in an external drive already?

will this procedure still work for me? my LR version is 2.4

thanks

You will need to transfer your catalog from one machine to the other. Once the catalog is on the new machine you should be able to point LR to the correct location of the external drive (if the drive letter changed).

Post #5, Jul 20, 2009 10:32:00

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
12,443 views & 0 likes for this thread
Transfer lightroom files from one computer to another
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES