Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of September 2007 (Mon)   #1
Sageg

Default Transfer lightroom files from one computer to another

Hi, I found a thread on the weekend on how to transfer lightroom files (and edits) from one computer (pc laptop/work) to another computer (mac/home), but I can't find the thread anymore. I've tried a bunch of different word combinations, but can't seem to come up with the right combination.

If anyone has a link to the the thread that explains how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

(note: the computers are not on the same network)

Thanks so much!

Eyes, hands, brains, legs
Sageg is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of September 2007 (Mon)   #2
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Default Re: Transfer lightroom files from one computer to another

With the release of 1.1 you no longer need to do complicated workarounds to move files. It is much easier now. I just did this recently after being on a trip. I used my laptop to store the files and rate/edit each night after download. I then needed to transfer the files to my desktop at home. Here is how I did it.

You need to decide how you are going to move the files. External Hard Drive, thumb drive (for small transfers), burn to CD/DVD, or across a network (which is what I did). Once you determine your method all you need to do is Export the catalog and be sure to include the files and/or previews. You can do this for all files or only some files and either is rather easy.

1. In the Library module select all the files you wish to move (actually you will be copying). If doing the whole catalog skip this step.

2. Press Alt/Option and Export in the left panel becomes Export Catalog. Click it.

3. A new window appears with some choices. Select your destination for the copy process. There are 3 options at the bottom. One is for only selected files or whole catalog, one for previews, and one for the files themselves. Click the options you wish to have. I only did the catalog so I had none of the options selected. I moved my files manually but now that I have done it once I think it would make just as much sense to do the files and previews if room allows and the speed of your transfer medium is fast.

4. Click OK and let LR do its thing. Once finished you need to Import the files to the other catalog. Go to your other machine open LR and select Import from Catalog (IIRC).

5. Select the location of the catalog you just Exported.

6. Select which folders you wish to Import. Click OK and let LR do its thing.

I have only done this once and it worked well. I think I have everything here that you need but I might be wrong. Let me know if you need any help.

In2Photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of September 2007 (Mon)   #3
Sageg

Brilliant! I'll do it tonight. Thanks!!

Eyes, hands, brains, legs
Sageg is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of July 2009 (Mon)   #4
johnj2803

just to revive this thread.

my LR files (RAW) are in an external HD already, but i will be transfering to a new computer (from mac to another mac)

how will the new computer know that my images are in an external drive already?

will this procedure still work for me? my LR version is 2.4

thanks
Old 20th of July 2009 (Mon)   #5
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
just to revive this thread.

my LR files (RAW) are in an external HD already, but i will be transfering to a new computer (from mac to another mac)

how will the new computer know that my images are in an external drive already?

will this procedure still work for me? my LR version is 2.4

thanks
You will need to transfer your catalog from one machine to the other. Once the catalog is on the new machine you should be able to point LR to the correct location of the external drive (if the drive letter changed).

In2Photos is offline   Reply With Quote