With the release of 1.1 you no longer need to do complicated workarounds to move files. It is much easier now. I just did this recently after being on a trip. I used my laptop to store the files and rate/edit each night after download. I then needed to transfer the files to my desktop at home. Here is how I did it.
You need to decide how you are going to move the files. External Hard Drive, thumb drive (for small transfers), burn to CD/DVD, or across a network (which is what I did). Once you determine your method all you need to do is Export the catalog and be sure to include the files and/or previews. You can do this for all files or only some files and either is rather easy.
1. In the Library module select all the files you wish to move (actually you will be copying). If doing the whole catalog skip this step.
2. Press Alt/Option and Export in the left panel becomes Export Catalog. Click it.
3. A new window appears with some choices. Select your destination for the copy process. There are 3 options at the bottom. One is for only selected files or whole catalog, one for previews, and one for the files themselves. Click the options you wish to have. I only did the catalog so I had none of the options selected. I moved my files manually but now that I have done it once I think it would make just as much sense to do the files and previews if room allows and the speed of your transfer medium is fast.
4. Click OK and let LR do its thing. Once finished you need to Import the files to the other catalog. Go to your other machine open LR and select Import from Catalog (IIRC).
5. Select the location of the catalog you just Exported.
6. Select which folders you wish to Import. Click OK and let LR do its thing.
I have only done this once and it worked well. I think I have everything here that you need but I might be wrong. Let me know if you need any help.