Do you see any potential?? Honest opinons please!!

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 10 Sep 2007 (Monday) 13:53   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

whoopsjenny
Joined Nov 2006
112 posts
Western, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

I did my first wedding this past Saturday... It was extremely low budget, here are a few images. I'd appreciate any advice or opinions.. someday I'd like to do wedding photography as a career but I guess I'm just wondering if you see any potential?? There images are all resized for web viewing!

IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db8.jpg
IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db9.jpg

Post #1, Sep 10, 2007 13:53:17

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
whoopsjenny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
112 posts
Western, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db7.jpg
IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db6.jpg

Post #2, Sep 10, 2007 13:54:03

whoopsjenny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
112 posts
Western, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db5.jpg
IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db3.jpg

Post #3, Sep 10, 2007 13:54:41 as a reply to whoopsjenny's post 38 seconds earlier.

whoopsjenny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
112 posts
Western, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db4.jpg
IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db2.jpg

Post #4, Sep 10, 2007 13:55:17 as a reply to whoopsjenny's post 36 seconds earlier.

whoopsjenny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
112 posts
Western, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/whoopsjenny/db.jpg

Post #5, Sep 10, 2007 13:55:45 as a reply to whoopsjenny's post 28 seconds earlier.

sponsored links
Megapixle
Joined Jan 2007
601 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think you did pretty good, I do see potential. My main criticism (if that's okay) is to lay off a bit on the sepia-whatever action you're using. 90% of your shots posted are either b&w or sepia-ized. I prefer mostly color, with a few select photos in b&w and sepia.

~mp

Post #6, Sep 10, 2007 13:59:26

Gear

whoopsjenny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
112 posts
Western, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

ahh thanks. I didn't realize I had posted so many non colored photos, most of them are in color, I guess I just wasn't paying attention until I opened this thread back up!

Post #7, Sep 10, 2007 14:02:01

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
Joined Jul 2007
5,219 posts
scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.
[MORE/SHARE]

hey jenny.
i think you did a great job. i would have been happy to have your photos as mine. ( im not happy with mine, very few survived)
but i do have to agree with mega. i think the sepia is cool for a couple of the shots. but not so many.black and white, then color are the best in my opinion as well.
but over all i personally feel you did a great job, and i think you should continue.
shannon

Post #8, Sep 10, 2007 14:12:14

notapro
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,540 posts
Southwestern Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree with above about processing, and say YES I see potential. I'm not a pro, but for what it's worth, I think you did a great job. Like Shanny, I'd be very happy with these. I love the last one.

Post #9, Sep 10, 2007 14:19:10

Amanda

Ontario Wedding Photographer external link| My Blogexternal link

ImagesByInku
Joined Jul 2007
414 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think these are great. Aside from some of the processing.

Two things:
1. The bride tossing the bouquet
2. The groom tossing the garter
Would be better to see the bouquet and garter in the frame. I mean, it's obvious as to what is going on in the pictures...

Post #10, Sep 10, 2007 14:37:59

5D MkIII | 5D Mk II | 5D | 24 1.4L II | 35 1.4L | 50 1.2L | 85 1.2L | 100 2.8L IS Macro | 135 2.0L
____
websiteexternal link

ImagesByInku
Joined Jul 2007
414 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I take that back about the processing. I like it. They're different. Kind of reminds me of "old time" photos. Not sure how the bride/groom would like them though.

Post #11, Sep 10, 2007 14:40:17

5D MkIII | 5D Mk II | 5D | 24 1.4L II | 35 1.4L | 50 1.2L | 85 1.2L | 100 2.8L IS Macro | 135 2.0L
____
websiteexternal link

sponsored links
Visual ­ Bride
Joined Dec 2006
539 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I definitely think you have got potential. To be honest I think that your shots are better than a number of wedding photographers who do it as a job.

I like your pictures. You a good picture. I think your PP skills could use a little work. But I think it's your style. It could work. The PP is easy to change. It's getting the shots thats the tough bit.

Well done

Post #12, Sep 10, 2007 14:42:16

Simeon
| Asian Wedding Photographyexternal link | Asian Wedding Cinematographyexternal link
5Dx2 |35 1.4L | 85L 1.2 | 24-70L | 70-200mm 2.8L IS | 580 Flash
Wedding Videosexternal link

whoopsjenny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
112 posts
Western, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

haha the bride/groom had no care or desire for pictures really.. the whole wedding was pretty disastrous but i tried to capture some good images despite that. The bride was extremely non photogenic/careless/sl​oopy.. I'm not even sure if they want prints.. I just know the grooms side wanted images from the day to show their family from South Africa that couldn't attend! Haha I guess this is typical though for 'low budget'

Post #13, Sep 10, 2007 14:44:39

restech
Joined Jul 2005
257 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Jenny,

Nice series, I have some suggestions from my personal view

1 & 2, it would be nicer if you could get the bouquet or the garter also. It seems a lil' bit funny the bride or groom make a thrwoing pose, but there is nothing.

3. I don't know if you mean to focus on the flower. I like it better if you focus on the B&G dancing.

4. I really love this shot. I like the shadow and everything. Can you bump exposure a little bit ? Just want to see what it would look like. I just don't fond of legs got cut off.

5. That circle thing on the groom's cheek, is it a flare ? I am not sure, but anyway it's very distracting. Without that thing, it's a nice shot.

6. Doesn't really do it for me. The background is way too busy and the rings are not really getting my attention. If I were you, I would have my camera on the same level as the rings and just really blur out the background totally and focus on the rings.

7. I like it.

8. It just doesn't wow me. I think because the B&G is way too the right side. I think you are trying to do 1/3 rule, but I think it is just a lil bit to the right. I can see that you were in tall grass area. If i were you I would lie down on the grass, and kind of make it like a sneaky shot from behind the grass. I would get their faces too. Shooting their back in this setting is not my preference.

9. Is the B&G out of focus ? Or is it just my monitor ? The reason I said this, is the willow seems in focus and if they were difference in distant I think one of them is out of focus. anyway ... sorry if it is not, it's just my thinking.

Anyway, it's just my personal view.
Great job overall.

Post #14, Sep 10, 2007 14:47:05 as a reply to notapro's post 27 minutes earlier.

Seattle wedding photographyexternal link

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
Joined Jan 2006
8,504 posts
Alberta, CANADA
[MORE/SHARE]

there are some nice images there. definitely potential. the trick is to deliver hundreds of images that are all of the same calibre. Composition is better than average but can still use some work. (as can mine)

processing is also better than average, but maybe a tad overused? But that's already been mentioned. Interesting that you also used a sony non-slr camera with your canon.

The lighting conditions you were shooting in look quite ideal though (more or less overcast) so it worked out well for you. The challenging part is when the lighting is absolutely horrid and you're still expected to deliver results just as good. You might have to venture out of the P (Program) mode to do that. P will always get the shot, but it also limits creativity, particularly in non-ideal light.

great job. you can go far if you really put your mind to it. Keep posting and soon you'll be much better than most of us. :)

Post #15, Sep 10, 2007 14:54:31

-Lloyd
BOUDOIR WEBSITE: The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Lifestyle Website: Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Gear

LIST NEARBY THREADS
970 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you see any potential?? Honest opinons please!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES