Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 10 Jul 2002 (Wednesday) 02:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hong Kong and Kowloon

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jul 10, 2002 02:37 |  #1

These two infrared shots were taken from the top of Ocean Terminal.

Look one way and you see Kowloon and the Pacific Club (white canopy on the left) and Ocean Centre (buildings on the right). Ocean liners parallel park next to Ocean Terminal and passengers get off and walk straight into this vast warren of designer shops and boutiques and restaurants. Even as a resident you can get turned around and lost in there.

For years, Hong Kong's airport was (conveniently located) in the heart of the city with its runway built out into the harbor. Consequently, there was a height restriction on Kowloon buildings to keep planes from running into them, which explains the flat uniformity of the buildings. Now that we've leveled an (inconveniently located) island and moved our airport, the height restriction has been lifted and, economic slowdown notwithstanding, tall buildings are appearing on the Kowloon skyline, as you can just see in the far left center.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Look the other way and you see Hong Kong Island. Never any height restrictions here so it's a much more interesting skyline with Central Plaza standing tallest in the center and the Exhibiition Centre lying low and looking decorative with its distinctive gull-wing roof.

Processing these shots, I was stuck by their slightly unreal look -- especially the Kowloon shot -- like miniature models in an architect's office.

Processing was as follows:

Converted Normal in BreezeBrowser

Then into Photoshop for the following steps:
Auto-Contrast
Mild "S" Curves
Mode, Lab
Select Lightness channel
Mode, Grayscale
Mode, Duotone
Select Quadtone, PANTONE (R) Quadtones, "B1 431 492 556.ado"
Ultrasharpen with standard settings: 200%, radius 1.0

I've found that particular quadtone, which ships as standard in Photoshop 6 and 7, to be quite attractive for a variety of photos.

Don

By the way, Hong Kong is both the name of the territory and the short name for Hong Kong Island. Kowloon is on the mainland. In between is one of the world's deep-water harbors which enables curb-parking for large ships.

sponsored links
Leighow
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Jan 2002
Jul 10, 2002 19:58 |  #2

DON

Terrific background story for us mainlanders.

And these shots are a sharp as a tack. They look like
B & W to me. They are the urban negative to your Bali prints.

Thanks

HOWIE

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jul 10, 2002 21:01 |  #3

I must say, Howie, that you keep up everyone's spirits here. Always the kind/insightful/critic​al comment -- some comment anyway -- which I know is appreciated by anyone who receives it.

Thank you for your unfailing participation. When I grow up, I'll want to comment as well, if not as often, as you. :)

Cheers,

Don

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Jul 10, 2002 21:27 |  #4

Nice shot.

If you really want comments : there is a very minor grip -- use a CLP to remove some glare off the windows. Else the composition and dof are excellent.

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jul 10, 2002 21:32 |  #5

Hi Griffin,

Other than China Light & Power, what's a CLP -- Circular/Linear Polarizer? :)

Don

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jul 11, 2002 04:39 |  #6

The Star Ferry, on Kowloon side with the clock tower on the left, looking across to Hong Kong Island.

Don

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Jul 11, 2002 10:11 |  #7

Don Ellis wrote:
Other than China Light & Power, what's a CLP -- Circular/Linear Polarizer? :)

Oh, yep it is Circular Polarizer. Don't leave home wihtout one. :)

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Jul 11, 2002 10:13 |  #8

You take it from Star House, don't you? Which floor allows you to do this? I am fasinated, Don!

Hey, see ya around.

Don Ellis wrote:
The Star Ferry, on Kowloon side with the clock tower on the left, looking across to Hong Kong Island.

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jul 11, 2002 17:27 |  #9

Griffin wrote:
You take it from Star House, don't you? Which floor allows you to do this? I am fasinated, Don!

I think you missed the first line of this thread: "These two infrared shots were taken from the top of Ocean Terminal." Walk into the hotel, take the lift up to level 6, and walk out onto the parking lot where you can wander around and no one troubles you.

Don

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Jul 11, 2002 20:39 |  #10

Don Ellis wrote:

I think you missed the first line of this thread: "These two infrared shots were taken from the top of Ocean Terminal." Walk into the hotel, take the lift up to level 6, and walk out onto the parking lot where you can wander around and no one troubles you.

Hang on! I was saying the one includes the Star Ferry all the way to Hong Kong Island as I quoted in my previous message. :) If it is the hotel, I get it.

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jul 11, 2002 20:53 |  #11

Hi Griffin,

Yes, I was standing in the same place as where I took the second shot -- just pointed my camera down a bit. Could you do me a favor and delete the quoted picture in your message so that it isn't displayed twice? (It wasn't such a brilliant picture displayed once.) Thanks a lot.

Don

Griffin
276 posts
Joined Oct 2001
Jul 12, 2002 11:41 |  #12

Consider it done.

sponsored links

3,546 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hong Kong and Kowloon
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.