long exposure techniques...panning techniques...

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 22 Sep 2007 (Saturday) 13:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

NationYell
Joined Sep 2007
81 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a canon powershot s2 is and I am wondering two things:

1) How can I take a longer exposure than the maximum of 15 seconds?

and

2) How do you pan? I have a tripod, and I want to know how.

Thanks! :)

Post #1, Sep 22, 2007 13:28:37

My wordsexternal link
My online photo blogexternal link
[nv][photography]
Canon T3i/18-55mm/55-250mm...and more lenses on the way!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Doug ­ F
Joined Sep 2007
146 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

1. No idea

2. You need a 3D tripod head that can adjust in three different planes. Then you need to set the tripod head and legs so that when you pan the head around 360 degrees it follows the real horizon (or a stand-in one) and maintains the same level throughout its arc. This is actually very tricky to do in many cases. It will start and end in the same place but often not follow the horizon in its arc. I use a little bubble level that measures level in two directions and place it on my tripod's head to help get me in the ballpark but then usually still have to tweak things.

Post #2, Sep 22, 2007 22:03:16

NationYell
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
81 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Doug F, hopefully someone who help me with the longer than 15 seconds exposure time.

Post #3, Sep 25, 2007 15:17:51

My wordsexternal link
[nv][photography]

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
5,458 posts
Quito - Ecuador
[MORE/SHARE]

For the Pro1 and most if not all the G series cameras, 15 seconds is the absolute maximum.
I think it is the same for the S2 IS, excluding a hacked firmware, I know nothing about it.

If you tell us what do you need more than 15 seconds for, perhaps somebody knows how to do that within the 15 seconds limit.

Regarding panoramics, although finding the camera nodal point, using a pano-head and carefully leveled tripods is a must for precision work, the casual photographer can get rewarding results on panoramics shot even hand held. A normal tripod will help a lot, of course.

Setting your camera to stitch assist mode (page 49 and pages 52-55 of the user guide) and shooting a 3 or 4 images horizontal panoramic to be stitched with ZoomBrowser’s Edit > Stitch Photos tool will give you fast hands-on experience on this technique.

Avoid objects near the camera in your first attempts.

Below an eleven images stitch done in 2005 using a standard tripod, stitch assist mode on the Pro1 and ZoomBrowser tools

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit_4/pictures/panos/quitonevado_800x91.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://sites.google.co​m .../quitonevado_4224x4​80.jpg]external link
click to enlargeexternal link

and, for reference an un-cropped image of the sequence (STA to STK)
IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit_4/pictures/panos/quitonevado_STF_2942_thumb.jpg
click to enlarge [IMAGE'S LINK: http://sites.google.co​m ...vado_STF_2942_640x4​80.jpg]external link

Post #4, Sep 26, 2007 02:43:28

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

NationYell
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
81 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Late night photography, that's why I'd like to know if I can hack my camera or do something so that my exposure is longer than 15 seconds. :)

Post #5, Sep 27, 2007 20:44:57 as a reply to rpolitsr's post 1 day earlier.

My wordsexternal link
[nv][photography]

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
NationYell
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
81 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the tips on panoramic as well,
that's something I'll do sometime when I have the chance.

Post #6, Sep 27, 2007 20:45:22

My wordsexternal link
[nv][photography]

Flagpole
Joined Mar 2003
112 posts
Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

You can do multiple 15 sec exposure then stack the images.Search the internet for "image stacking". The only thing is you will need to wire some sort of external remote unless you are planning to stand there and press the shutter every 15 sec manually.

Just a quick comment on "nodal point". You only really need to worry about if you have very close foreground objects. For panoramas of landscapes without foreground objects you can just do with a tripod and better stitching software like PTAsmblr which have a number of automatic tools to correct for camera rotation and panning.

Post #7, Sep 27, 2007 22:14:57

G2, 420EX, Tiffen 0.75x & 2.0x, Lumiquest Pro Max

Gene ­ Roeschlein
Joined Nov 2003
22 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

For long exposures, I have used the 15sec exposures stacked with the program
Registax V4
from
http://www.astronomie.​be/registax/external link
This program is FREE, not a trial
Take a series of exposures, kick out the bum ones, and let the program stack as many as you wish -- it will do one point and multiple point alignment
Download the Manual for full instructions
Gene R

Post #8, Oct 10, 2007 16:04:11

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
long exposure techniques...panning techniques...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES