Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of September 2007 (Sat)   #1
NationYell

Thumbs up long exposure techniques...panning techniques...

I have a canon powershot s2 is and I am wondering two things:

1) How can I take a longer exposure than the maximum of 15 seconds?

and

2) How do you pan? I have a tripod, and I want to know how.

Thanks!
NationYell is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of September 2007 (Sat)   #2
Doug F

Default Re: long exposure techniques...panning techniques...

1. No idea

2. You need a 3D tripod head that can adjust in three different planes. Then you need to set the tripod head and legs so that when you pan the head around 360 degrees it follows the real horizon (or a stand-in one) and maintains the same level throughout its arc. This is actually very tricky to do in many cases. It will start and end in the same place but often not follow the horizon in its arc. I use a little bubble level that measures level in two directions and place it on my tripod's head to help get me in the ballpark but then usually still have to tweak things.
Doug F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of September 2007 (Tue)   #3
NationYell

Thanks Doug F, hopefully someone who help me with the longer than 15 seconds exposure time.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of September 2007 (Wed)   #4
rpolitsr

For the Pro1 and most if not all the G series cameras, 15 seconds is the absolute maximum.
I think it is the same for the S2 IS, excluding a hacked firmware, I know nothing about it.

If you tell us what do you need more than 15 seconds for, perhaps somebody knows how to do that within the 15 seconds limit.

Regarding panoramics, although finding the camera nodal point, using a pano-head and carefully leveled tripods is a must for precision work, the casual photographer can get rewarding results on panoramics shot even hand held. A normal tripod will help a lot, of course.

Setting your camera to stitch assist mode (page 49 and pages 52-55 of the user guide) and shooting a 3 or 4 images horizontal panoramic to be stitched with ZoomBrowser’s Edit > Stitch Photos tool will give you fast hands-on experience on this technique.

Avoid objects near the camera in your first attempts.

Below an eleven images stitch done in 2005 using a standard tripod, stitch assist mode on the Pro1 and ZoomBrowser tools

click to enlarge

and, for reference an un-cropped image of the sequence (STA to STK)
click to enlarge

Canon powershot Pro1, EOS RebelXT, EF-S 18-55mm II, speedlite 420EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries

"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."
rpolitsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of September 2007 (Thu)   #5
NationYell

Late night photography, that's why I'd like to know if I can hack my camera or do something so that my exposure is longer than 15 seconds.
Old 27th of September 2007 (Thu)   #6
NationYell

Thanks for the tips on panoramic as well,
that's something I'll do sometime when I have the chance.
Old 27th of September 2007 (Thu)   #7
Flagpole

You can do multiple 15 sec exposure then stack the images.Search the internet for "image stacking". The only thing is you will need to wire some sort of external remote unless you are planning to stand there and press the shutter every 15 sec manually.

Just a quick comment on "nodal point". You only really need to worry about if you have very close foreground objects. For panoramas of landscapes without foreground objects you can just do with a tripod and better stitching software like PTAsmblr which have a number of automatic tools to correct for camera rotation and panning.
Old 10th of October 2007 (Wed)   #8
Gene Roeschlein

For long exposures, I have used the 15sec exposures stacked with the program
Registax V4
from
http://www.astronomie.be/registax/
This program is FREE, not a trial
Take a series of exposures, kick out the bum ones, and let the program stack as many as you wish -- it will do one point and multiple point alignment
Download the Manual for full instructions
Gene R
Gene Roeschlein is offline   Reply With Quote