Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #1
Domino

Default Costco printing 20'x30' and standard picture sizes question

I'm not a pro and don't print out much larger than 8'x10's usually... however a recent trip to Napa Valley we decided to put up large sized photos in our dining room of wine country.

Costco offers 16x20 or 20x30 for only $9.95 each... so I went for the bigger obviously. Then when we went to a few frame places we realized there aren't ANY out of the box frames that are 20x30. Is this an abnormal size? What are normal sizes then and how does it relate to cropping pictures from the XTI? Why would costco offer printing of such an abnormal size where everything would need to be custom framed?

I was originally going to print 16x20 but reazlied it would result in some rather large crops.

Thoughts comments appreciated.
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #2
Steve Beck
Goldmember

Default Re: Costco printing 20'x30' and standard picture sizes question

20x30 is more of a mounted poster boards size print for making advterisiment signs and posters. The 16x20 is more natural 'photograph' size...
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #3
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

20X30 has been offered by color labs for as long as I can remember, going way back to film days. I have regularly printed 20X30 from most of my cameras and I sell alot of this size. In that context I would find that this size is a normal and it does use more the of image from my sensors than does a 16X20. In other words the 20X30 is the same aspect ratio as my cameras.

I'm not sure where you are shopping for your frames. I normally have them custom framed but in a couple of instances I have found on the shelf 20X30's at the framing area of Michael's craft stores.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #4
Croasdail
Cream of the Crop

Just make sure you download the profile for your local costco's photoshop. When you blowthings up, all little issues will show up much more. Having the right profile will help you make sure what you see on screen will match color wise. I am sure this is obvious, but not everyone knows costco publishes those profiles.

Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.
Croasdail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #5
Just Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croasdail View Post
Just make sure you download the profile for your local costco's photoshop. When you blowthings up, all little issues will show up much more. Having the right profile will help you make sure what you see on screen will match color wise. I am sure this is obvious, but not everyone knows costco publishes those profiles.
I'm sorry, but what do you mean exactly by "profile"?

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use.
Just Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #6
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croasdail View Post
Just to add, I don't know about the states, but in canuckia costco outsources the large orders to other firms and they print them on a wide format epson.
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #7
Pinto
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocFrankenstein View Post
Just to add, I don't know about the states, but in canuckia costco outsources the large orders to other firms and they print them on a wide format epson.
Interesting. How do you handle profiles? I'm very happy with the color from my local Costco which uses a Noritsu 311, but the local personnel are not at all knowledgeable. How did you find out about the outsource and which profile to use?
Canon 5D MkII | Canon 20D l Canon EF 50mm II f/1.8 l Canon EFS 17-85mm IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM l Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS l Canon EF 24-105mm 4.0 L l Canon EF 17-40mm 4.0 L | Canon EF 100 2.8 MACRO l Canon 580EXII | Canon 580EX | Canon G3 l Einstein and White Lightning lighting | and a whole boatload of other stuff
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #8
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
Interesting. How do you handle profiles? I'm very happy with the color from my local Costco which uses a Noritsu 311, but the local personnel are not at all knowledgeable. How did you find out about the outsource and which profile to use?
I downloaded the profile from drycreekphoto for my local costco.

They told me that for everything larger than 12*18 they used a third party firm, but had problems with them and don't offer prints that large anymore.

I don't think noritsu has printers to make 20 inch prints - that's a bit too specific.
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #9
Kadath
Right, Manage This Digit!

16x24 shouldnt have been more than $2.49 each.
Kadath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #10
Pinto
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocFrankenstein View Post
I downloaded the profile from drycreekphoto for my local costco.

They told me that for everything larger than 12*18 they used a third party firm, but had problems with them and don't offer prints that large anymore.

I don't think noritsu has printers to make 20 inch prints - that's a bit too specific.
That was the point. I was wondering how you handled profiles for the sizes they sent out, which were obviously not the same as the in-house prints. But if you can't print larger than the in-house sizes now, I guess it's a moot point.
I haven't printed larger than 12x18, but Costco down here still shows available sizes up to 20x30. I'll have to address that issue locally somehow. Thanks.
Canon 5D MkII | Canon 20D l Canon EF 50mm II f/1.8 l Canon EFS 17-85mm IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM l Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS l Canon EF 24-105mm 4.0 L l Canon EF 17-40mm 4.0 L | Canon EF 100 2.8 MACRO l Canon 580EXII | Canon 580EX | Canon G3 l Einstein and White Lightning lighting | and a whole boatload of other stuff
Old 23rd of September 2007 (Sun)   #11
tim
Light Bringer

Consider block mounting instead of framing.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of September 2007 (Mon)   #12
Jon, The Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle

Local Costco only prints to 12x18 ($2.99)

20x30 are considered 'posters' and must be uploaded to their site. Found out that Costco uses 'Snapfish' for their 'gifts' catagories, which include the 20x30's.

Funny thing is that Costco price ($9.99) is cheaper than the advertised price on Snapfish.
Old 24th of September 2007 (Mon)   #13
jkoc

OT question... costco (Canada) has a max 8MB file limit for each file... Does USA costco have same limitation? if so, that kinda sux... lotta compression. what conversions do u guys do to get a file that small?

jkoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of September 2007 (Mon)   #14
Pinto
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoc View Post
OT question... costco (Canada) has a max 8MB file limit for each file... Does USA costco have same limitation? if so, that kinda sux... lotta compression. what conversions do u guys do to get a file that small?
I upload very large files all the time. No problems her in So.CA.
Old 24th of September 2007 (Mon)   #15
Pinto
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Bugster View Post
where do you get costco profile, and is it different for every store? also, how does one 'enable' the profile and where (in photoshop or your monitor)?
No Bugster, Here is everything you need to know. When you are done with the instructions look for your Costco location under the Digital Printer Profiles Database for the proper profile: http://www.drycreekphoto.com/index.html