Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Sep 2007 (Saturday) 20:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

30d or 40d

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Sep 29, 2007 20:28 |  #1

What is your honest opinion? I am going to sell my not a scratch on it rebel to a friend since I can use some of the things that 30 or 40d offer.

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,184 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Sep 29, 2007 20:39 |  #2

I have the 30D. it's great and I would recommend it. This fits if you are on a tight budget and looking specifically for some 30D features.

That said, the 40D has everything the 30D has plus some additional nice features. If you can afford the 40D without eating Ramen for months then just go for the latest and greatest.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Sep 29, 2007 20:40 |  #3

Well, that is what I am leaning towards at this point, but does anyone that has had/ has both of these cameras tell me which one they like and why?

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005
3rd Rock from the Sun
Sep 29, 2007 20:45 |  #4

looking at your gear, there are more important items to upgrade than the camera body. Sorry to segway...

Vancouver Portrait Photographerexternal link
No toys. Just tools.external link :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?!external link

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Inland Empire, California
Sep 29, 2007 20:53 |  #5

delhi wrote in post #4033635external link
looking at your gear, there are more important items to upgrade than the camera body. Sorry to segway...

Agreed.

No offense to the OP and his gear, but how about sell more of that glass, get a 20D to save some cash, then get a nice walk around like a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and maybe a Canon 70-200 f4L?

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Sep 29, 2007 21:14 |  #6

I have not gotten around to updating my gear list in a while. I already got a 70-200 f4L and the 85 f1.8. I am doing most of the photo for my schools year book and anything else they need photo for. The faster drive, less lag, higher iso, and just better layed out body will be very useful.

Grimm75
blissful obscurity
1,784 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Suwanee, GA
Sep 29, 2007 21:23 |  #7

I sold my XTi and bought a 40D last night. I only got to play around a little today but wow... so far it has me floored.

--Jon
Gear
Feedback

mymtl
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Kansas City area
Sep 29, 2007 21:31 as a reply to Grimm75's post |  #8

Okay, I'm a newbie here...I've had a logon for awhile...but just lurked. I did a search on here tonight to see if anyone else had problems with their 40D? First time using it I got the error 99 codes (4-5 times in a 2 hour period) and the camera locked up. Totally missed shots. I'm upgrading from a rebel, so I can't tell you about the 30D...but from what I'm hearing and experiencing personally with my 40D...you might want to wait 'til they get the kinks worked out?????

Had I bought it local, I would have gone right to the store to exchange it, but bought it at B&H and they are closed for their holiday....ugghhh

HaroldC3
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
West Richland, WA
Sep 29, 2007 22:53 |  #9

If I didn't have the 30D I would probably get the 40D. But I'm happy with my 30D so I won't be upgrading.

Flickrexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007
East Sussex, UK
Sep 30, 2007 04:34 |  #10

If you have sold your camera for a fair price, and have to invest in another body, 40D wins it hands down.

I have both.

First Price, it has all ready been Reduced, and with the canon cash backs even cheaper

Second, It is a better camera all round, especially in the AF, Tracking, Low Light Focus than the 30D, on top of the extras that the 30D does not have that some people say they not need, but use them and once they taken away would miss.

3rd. Personal Preference, I like the menu system, the feel is different, and the self cleaning sensor, (people are disputing this one) but my experience tells me, I have taken nr 7k shots since new, most of those shots around 5-6k at a guess has been with a 100-400L so called Dust pump, the sensor is spotless, not one mark on it, there was a mark, but it seems to cannot make its mind up if it shows or not, so there is something in the body, that gets shaken off, but drops back on if I point up wards after a while. My 30D has always been dirtier since new.

40D is by far the best Value dSLR on the market in my books at the moment, and likely to stay that way for a while.

Go read about 40D everyones view, and look at the shots that says it all.

Photographic Images on Brett Butlerexternal link px500external link & Flickrexternal link Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007
East Sussex, UK
Sep 30, 2007 04:36 |  #11

mymtl wrote in post #4033853external link
Okay, I'm a newbie here...I've had a logon for awhile...but just lurked. I did a search on here tonight to see if anyone else had problems with their 40D? First time using it I got the error 99 codes (4-5 times in a 2 hour period) and the camera locked up. Totally missed shots. I'm upgrading from a rebel, so I can't tell you about the 30D...but from what I'm hearing and experiencing personally with my 40D...you might want to wait 'til they get the kinks worked out?????

Had I bought it local, I would have gone right to the store to exchange it, but bought it at B&H and they are closed for their holiday....ugghhh

Sorry to hear this, try these may help you out
Make sure you are using a good CF card, format it in the computers first, and reformat in the camera,
Use a canon lens first and make sure the contacts are clean on the lens, and on the body

Photographic Images on Brett Butlerexternal link px500external link & Flickrexternal link Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

thitipong
163 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Sep 30, 2007 08:08 |  #12
banned

used EOS 40Dexternal linkat $850 (hope it still in good condition)

Nancy
88 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sep 30, 2007 08:56 as a reply to thitipong's post |  #13

Is this truely legit?????

sponsored links

1,226 views & 0 likes for this thread
30d or 40d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.