Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Oct 2007 (Wednesday) 10:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

XTI/400D Users Chat

mikegrasso
397 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Pottstown, PA
Oct 03, 2007 10:13 |  #1

I wanted to start a place in which all talk was about the XTI(400D). What do you like about? What don't you like about it? Why did you buy the XTI(400D)? Post you best shots taken on the XTI(400D), lets see your set up. What issues have you found, how did you fix it? Tips and trick with the XTI(400D). Best settings Etc......

Canon 60D
Lots of good New and Vintage Glass!!
Nothing over an F4.5

sponsored links
mrw1004
68 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Cambridge UK
Oct 03, 2007 10:38 |  #2

Hi,

Well I have only just joined this Forum and the 400D owners club as well.

I bought a Canon A540 about 18 months ago and had great fun with it, more when I started playing with the modes as for a very cheap P&S it has Tv, Av and manual even added a circular polarizer with the funny plastic lens extension. I decided that I wanted to get further into photography as a hobby and after seeing a collegues XT pics with the advantage of being able to use different lenses etc etc decided to splash a tax rebate on a DSLR.

Much review reading and magazine page flipping later (actually a fun part of the process) I went for the 400D (I also had a promise I could borrow some of the collegues lenses at some point).

Very much a noob, but really enjoying it. Recently got a 50mm f1.8 Mk II after seeing it discussed on this forum and playing with DOF etc with that at present. I have started posting some of the shots I like to FlickR so have a look anyone that wants to leave a comment I would be interested.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/markwills/ (external link)

all the best,

mw

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/markwillsexternal link and http://www.flickr.com/​photos/markwillsiphone​snaps/external link
5D, 30D, EF 17-40mm USM L, 24-105mm USM IS L, 50mm f1.4 USM, 100mm F2.8 macro, Sigma 150-500mm OS

mikegrasso
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Pottstown, PA
Oct 03, 2007 10:48 as a reply to mrw1004's post |  #3

WELCOME to POTN. You will learn alot here. I like your photos alot, keep up the good work, and keep posting.

Mike

Canon 60D
Nothing over an F4.5

Troopa
133 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 03, 2007 11:22 |  #4

400D user, basic twin lense kit and a 50mm 1.8 here.

took me about 8 months to get a great feel for this camera. All the ins and outs, where it failes and where it shines.
damn though, i still cant nail down exposure on every shot though
im sure its me..... but i just cannot stand the metering system on the 400D
And because of this. I believe that the best thing you can do to start is to switch to AV as soon as possible, get to know your * button (or shutter button if youve changed to CF4-1) and learn where to expose on the shot.
Last but not least SHOOT RAW. Untill i know that i can nail 90% or better of my shots, i know that that 1stop in raw processing is a saftey buffer but not a lazy buffer.

The "few" shots that i have nailed the exposure just amazes me with the extra you can push the photo in other areas and have it really POP.

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Oct 03, 2007 11:47 |  #5

Another 400D user. Got mine 8 months ago upgraded from the Pro1 P&S.
I used to be a film user (Pentax Spotmatic) back in the 70's and 80's but been using Canon P&S since I got my Powershot S20 back about 2000

I purchased the Canon 17-85 IS and the 70-300 IS right away and since have added the nifty fifty 1.8

I have had no problems with my 400D - brough it on several road trips and am still getting used to it. Mostly interested in Landscapes and old buildings (farm, barn, historical etc). Luckily my job allows (forces) me to travel throughout North America so I have lots of opportunity for photography.

I started using Program mode but soon moved to Tv/Av modes. Have had moderate success with understanding and using DOF now trying to get better focus with multiple objects in a landscape shot.

With all the 40D posts lately, its nice to see this one. Thanks for starting it. Looking forward to sharing ideas.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Oct 03, 2007 11:54 |  #6

Troopa wrote in post #4056439 (external link)
I believe that the best thing you can do to start is to switch to AV as soon as possible, get to know your * button (or shutter button if youve changed to CF4-1) and learn where to expose on the shot.

Strange you said that, Troopa. On a trip a couple of weeks back I tried using the Bryan Peterson (expose to the sky) method and then take the same shot exposing on the subject and I way be just missing it but I can't see the difference. Seems to me they both exposed exactly the same.

Gotta do more comparing of EXIF for those shots and try to better understand that.

Walt

Athoras
41 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sweden
Oct 03, 2007 12:50 |  #7

Got my 400D just a few months ago still learning alot as i play around with it :P. Its just a great camera and im quite amazed on how high image quality you can get out of the little bugger. What got me intrested in the 400d before the nikon d80 was mostly the slight edge it hade over it in high iso's and the sensor cleaning.

However if there where somthing i would like to have slithly tweaked its a bit thicker grip on it. I think its just a bit to thin even for me and i dont really have that big hands dident start bother me slightly until i started puting on accessories like the battery grip slightly heavier lenses and a flash unit that little original grip with all that added wight it tends to get a bit uncofterble during long shoots. And a slightly larger wive finder would be nice but dont really excpect that at this price range and with the aps-c sensor size. But over all more then happy with the camera.

Ill try to post some images that i have taken later on, need to find a good way to host them first.

Henrik
My Gear

Pete ­ Gl
417 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Eccles, Nr Manchester, England
Oct 03, 2007 13:38 as a reply to Athoras's post |  #8

Similar to a lot of comments in here, film SLR in the 70's 80's, but had my camera stolen and lost interest. About 3 years 'ish' ago bought my first small P&S digital, an Olympus 400mju, and instantly got re-hooked to photography. In March did my research, compared to Nikon, etc and plumped for the 400D. Absolutely love it! Loads of comments on the whole forum regarding the kit lens, I must have a good copy, I think it's superb, I've had some good results with it, specially on landscapes at the 18mm end, as Athoras said, I'll post some when I sort somewhere out to host them.

Although I feel I'm the last person in the photography world to give advice, what I would say to those who say their camera underexposes, is to learn manual and always review the histogram after shooting.

I agree with WaltA, have been getting a bit bored with all the 40D posts (but to be fair if I'd bought a 40D, I'd probably be amongst it too!), so this post is quite refreshing.

mrw1004, good shots, I especially like the moon picture.

Avidly looking forward to more comments, well done mikegrasso for starting this!

Pete

This was taken with the kit lens: -

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5DMkIII Canon 24-105mm Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro Canon 50mm 1.4 Canon 17-40mm Sigma 70-300mm DG APO Hoya 77mm Pro 1 Digital CircPol Filter
Manfrotto 055X ProB Tripod Manfrotto 468RC2 Head Hahnel Remote Cable Release HRC280 hot shoe bubble level el cheapo tabletop tripod (but very useful at times) Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW. (Excellent!!)

Adamora
Who said i want a title? :(
Joined Aug 2007
Dubai
Oct 03, 2007 13:51 |  #9

the 400D is a Great camera, learned all the basics in 1 month =), and thats my first time going into photography, Then i really got hooked =D, the 400D is a Great amauter/Pro Dslr

Btw nice shots =)

[Adam]
[100D][Nifty Fifty]

JimMcrae
938 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Edinburgh
Oct 03, 2007 14:37 |  #10

My story identical to Pete Gl - film camera 70s & 80s went to compact digital and bought 400d nearly 3 months ago. Having GREAT fun with it. Got the kit lens and a Tamron 55-200 Di II Macro as part of the package and more than happy with both lenses. Also bought 50mm f/1.4 USM for portrait stuff and 100-400L IS USM for nature/birds.

Please feel free to take a look at my first couple of months on a dslr work (play) here:

Birds - http://www.photobox.co​.uk/album/6655392 (external link)
Portraits - http://www.photobox.co​.uk/album/6655424 (external link)

Any comments would be more than welcome but bear in mind, I ain't no David Bailey!

60d, 400d, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, 24-105mm f/4, 50mm f/1.4, 580ex II, 2 X 430ex II, Bowens 500, cs5

xt_eye
26 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Oct 03, 2007 14:56 |  #11

I bought the 400D about a month ago and I must say I am so happy with it. Its solid, compact, and very versatile. Also I'm amazed at the low noise at 1600. I spent over 2 months researching and concluded that at this point in time, this camera gives you the most bang for your buck by far. The only minor sacrafice is the plastic body as opposed to magnesium alloy, but realistically thats something I'm willing to put up with.
Rock on XTI/400D!

-xt_EyE
Canon 400D / Canon BG-E1 Grip / EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM / Canon EF-II 50mm f/1.8 / EF 28-80mm 3.5/5.6 II

e ­ r ­ y ­ k
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Oct 03, 2007 14:59 |  #12

bought mine december of 06, amazing entry level DSLR which can provide very professional results. i have small hands so the size of the camera doesnt really bother me, the camera feels fine with a grip.

all the pics at www.changaroo.com (external link) are shot with my 400D.

Canon EOS 5Dmk3 //

mikegrasso
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Pottstown, PA
Oct 03, 2007 15:04 as a reply to e r y k's post |  #13

Great looks like we are off to a good start. Let's keep it going.

Some October shots taken this weekend.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 60D
Nothing over an F4.5

Strick
Joined Aug 2007
Katy, TX
Oct 03, 2007 15:25 as a reply to mikegrasso's post |  #14

I have the ole Xti and find it to be a very good camera. Some might overlook it because of size and the lack of a metal frame but is has excellecnt IQ. I admit I like the wheel on the back of my 30D but I still really like the 400D. My wife has now confiscaed mine so I might buy another as a 2nd body.

Here are a few pics. They can do flowers as well as traking an eagle in flight. All for what I consider a bargin price, low enough that I was able to get the 100-400 to take the wagle pic.:D

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

flickr (external link)
www.strickphotography.​com (external link)
www.zoominphoto.com (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Oct 03, 2007 15:26 |  #15

Don't have access to all my shots from here but heres one from Cannon Beach, Oregon from a couple of weeks back.

Shot with F11, 1/200 with my 17-85 IS in the early AM

HOSTED PHOTO

Walt

sponsored links

375,228 views & 5 likes for this thread
XTI/400D Users Chat
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.