Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 03 Oct 2007 (Wednesday) 22:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another try at volleyball

XTi ­ Guy
125 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 03, 2007 22:56 |  #1

C&C Please.
Trying to get the focus thing right.Taken with a 24-70 f2.8L.no PP other than resize to post.Shot at 2.8 Manual 1/200 with Flash.I think it`s still OOF, seems to look worse after resizing to post.Is shooting at 2.8 messing up my focus?Meaning my DOP is real tight and causing the images to look like this?
Still learning this gym lighting thing.:confused: Also might be some camera shake.Flash is OK to use where I`m at but I would like to get away from it as much as possible.The lighting in this gym was very bad.
Looking back at some photos from last year taken with the 28-135 f3.5-5.5 IS the OOF was not an issue.So I either need to learn to hold this new 24-70 or I`ve got to get it calibrated.Leaning towards the latter as I do occasionally get some pics that are sharp.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
RonnieA
968 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 04, 2007 04:56 |  #2

Shooting at 2.8 isn't messing up your focus. And camera shake shouldn't be an issue, since you should be able to shoot handheld down to 1/100 or so with your lens fully zoomed without it playing a factor.

By looking at the pic, it seems to me that focus is on the the "CL" on the back wall and the players suffer from motion blur due to slow shutter speed.

Another things to think about is framing. You captured 40 feet of the back wall but cut off the legs of the players.

MkII x 2 | Rebel XT | EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 | 17-40mm 4 L | 50mm 1.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 70-200mm 2.8L | 300 2.8L IS | 1.4x & 2x TCs | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW | 580ex II
Four Seam Images (external link)
http://rallycapphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

royv
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 04, 2007 06:00 |  #3

I agree, the composition is very bad, and the ugly flash shadows don't do any good to the picture either. It also seems a bit unsharp, or OoF.

Canon 1D mark III | Canon S95 | Sigma 50 1.4 | 17-40L | 135L | 70-200 2.8L
Flickr (external link)

coleygm
317 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2007 21:43 |  #4

Don't beat yourself up over it. Shooting indoor HS volleyball is possibly the hardest sports to shoot. Lighting in most HS gyms is horrible, which means you need pretty good equipment to even come away with fair shots.

Nothing wrong with your equipment either, although the 24-70 might not give you the reach you'll want. the 2.8 is the important part though and shooting wide open at 1600 should give you good results, unless it's an unusually poor gym lighting wise.

I shot the majority of my sports this fall with an XTi and a 70-200 2.8 with great results. I always use center focus in AI Servo set to manual...usually 2.8 @ 400-500. I never use a flash for volleyball, as it's a quick way to get asked to leave. (Volleyball and Gymnastics are the two sports i don't use a flash).

I just started shooting with a 40d, and i can't say enough about that camera....but that's a different thread.

Greg
DigitalTheta.com (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 04, 2007 21:44 |  #5

We are not allowed to use flash at all inside the gym. That's why shooting volleyball is one of the most difficult of all the indoor sports to get the right composition and exposure.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

zipp669
57 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 04, 2007 22:22 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #6

This is my first time shooting VB and agree that it is the hardest to shoot.
I started out shooting without flash and the yearbook sponsor said he always uses it and so I have used it the last 3 games.
I think it shoots better without flash using my 20d and 70-200 2.8. Less shots are blurry without flash but having a heck of a time getting a good focus. the background is in focus but the player is oof.
dont have pic to show you right now but it is a tough sport to shoot.

Canon 1d Mark iv, 4-1d Mark IIN, 7D ii, 2 - 40d, 2 - 20d, 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8L, 28-70 2.8L, 24-105 f4, Tamron 18-200, canon 50mm 1.8 & 1.4, tamron 1.4 tc, 3 - 580ex, 420ex, manfrotto monopod, Manfrotto tripod, custom brackets digital pro, 15 cf cards, 2- bg-e2, 2 of Al Jacobsens little black boxes. Norman 200b www.zippsphotos.com (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 04, 2007 22:34 |  #7

I can use flash where I shoot volleyball, nobody minds. I even asked the girls on the team. For the best results I use manual, 1/400 shutter and f/2.8 I set the flash for HSS to allow the higher shutter speed. When I tried slower shutter speeds I ended up with a slight blur and the ball looked oval. My ISO is set to 400. Check with the officals about using flash, if you are not next to the court, they may allow it and if you are cose to the court you can always use FEC to lower the output.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

coleygm
317 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 04, 2007 23:12 as a reply to  @ Mike R's post |  #8

Here is a shot i got recently with my XTi and 70-200 2.8 IS

ISO1600
f2.8
1/400th
AI Servo
Center Focus
Manual Mode

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

About the only thing harder than indoor volleyball IMO is maybe Top Fuel Drag Racing....although that's mainly becuase i jump like a little girl when they hit the gas.

Greg
DigitalTheta.com (external link)

KirkHMB
677 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 05, 2007 14:23 as a reply to  @ coleygm's post |  #9

With a little cropping, this picture becomes much more interesting

IMAGE: http://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/photos/204354788-O.jpg

I wouldnt shoot into this background if you can help it. The stands and the busy mural really kill this shot. I prefer portrait format for my VB stuff near the net, except shots like this, were you've got 4 players in the photo. Shot from the baseline in portrait mode, you might have had a more interesting shot, and maybe gotten rid of the back wall stuff

shooting club VB and club soccer, hoping to get back to landscape work soon.

Gear List

david888lee
804 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 06, 2007 03:44 as a reply to  @ KirkHMB's post |  #10

i think your shutter speed is too slow. it should be 1/500 imo.

Canon 50d | Canon Xti | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 30 f/1.4

[-=Feedback=-] [flickr] external link

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 07, 2007 09:48 |  #11

Yes, and I don't like the shadows from the flash. That's why being in the stands with a long lens is much better.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links

1,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another try at volleyball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.