Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of October 2007 (Wed)   #16
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Individual and Team Portraits FAQ

Rochester Red Wings logo on the shirts, nice!
MJPhotos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of October 2007 (Wed)   #17
dekalbSTEEL

Yeah, a lot of the leagues around here that are not affiliated with Williamsport use the minor league stuff. redwings, , timberrattlers, rivercats, muckdogs, sidewinders, etc
Old 18th of October 2007 (Thu)   #18
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

oddly enough, I have never seen the Muckdogs used around here - 15 mins from Batavia.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of October 2007 (Fri)   #19
lennyp06

what is the turn around for prints?
lennyp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of October 2007 (Fri)   #20
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp06 View Post
what is the turn around for prints?
Depends on the lab. I have decided to use Miller's for my first attempts. They have shipped an order to me in one day, with overnight FedEx as standard shipping.

In2Photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of October 2007 (Fri)   #21
lennyp06

Sorry i meant to ask how long from the shoot does it take for you to deliver.
Old 19th of October 2007 (Fri)   #22
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Sorry i meant to ask how long from the shoot does it take for you to deliver.
Oh! I am going to tell my clients 2-3 weeks but do everything I can to reduce that time frame. I am thinking 1-2 weeks is an easy target for smaller orders.

Old 19th of October 2007 (Fri)   #23
lennyp06

Thanks im doing pics today for two football teams and two soccer teams which equates to about 56 kids, and they need them by next saturday. Do-able right?
Old 20th of October 2007 (Sat)   #24
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Thanks im doing pics today for two football teams and two soccer teams which equates to about 56 kids, and they need them by next saturday. Do-able right?
Yes, if you find a lab that does orders that fast or do them as a rush order (which will cost more).

Old 20th of October 2007 (Sat)   #25
Croasdail
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post
Oh! I am going to tell my clients 2-3 weeks but do everything I can to reduce that time frame. I am thinking 1-2 weeks is an easy target for smaller orders.
Do not under estimate the amount of post shoot work there is. I would quote long and over achieve rather then set expectations of a fast turn around.

dekalbSTEEL - your example shot is just one more that shows anyone with a camera is playing photographer now. Honestly, that is a horrible pose for a team. It would have taken someone who knew what they were doing no more time to at a minimum get the groupings balanced. But in the end, most parents don't really care that much, and this is good enough. I understand your shot was just a snap, so it is what it is. But the pose is very amateur if that - and people are starting to be happy with this level of work. Oh well, sorry this sounds harsh... but there should be a considerable difference between what a pro does and what any jane/joe off the street produces.

Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.
Croasdail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of October 2007 (Sat)   #26
dekalbSTEEL

Mark, I agree

The shooter told me she had just started working for this company (name withheld to protect the innocent) and the only help she had was a teenager taking the envelopes from the players and writing the file# as the shots were taken. No assistant to help in staging.
The league is run by the park district, so it's not very organized, either. they didn't even have set times for each team. The coaches just had to get their players all together and wait in line. The photographer just showed up at the fields every night for a week until all the teams happened to have a game that night.
Old 20th of October 2007 (Sat)   #27
Croasdail
Cream of the Crop

Understood. I have even seen the quality of work done by one of the larger nationals based locally really take a nose dive, which is weird since you would think going digital would make it even easier to get it right. But with digital taking so many of the worries out of technically getting images right, perhaps the level of training the person behind the camera is getting isn't what it used to be. I feel for the photographer you had here though - I have been in those situations myself and it is tough. I really do feel for her. Cheers!

Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.
Croasdail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #28
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croasdail View Post
Understood. I have even seen the quality of work done by one of the larger nationals based locally really take a nose dive, which is weird since you would think going digital would make it even easier to get it right. But with digital taking so many of the worries out of technically getting images right, perhaps the level of training the person behind the camera is getting isn't what it used to be. I feel for the photographer you had here though - I have been in those situations myself and it is tough. I really do feel for her. Cheers!
Definately, I've noticed that to. They are now saying how ANYONE CAN DO IT, 2 hour training available in ads. Then you have people shooting who have no clue what white balance or overexposed means and no clue how to set things up. I've only done one league but three sports - one is better run than others and so on, I wouldn't wish a new shooter in it though, they'd be lost. If it wasn't for shooting baseball portraits in the pros all the time I would have been, companies don't seem to care to much as it's gotten easier they will hire whoever with minimal training.

On the other note, I would definately say 2-3 weeks and aim for 2. All that packaging, sorting, checking off the envelopes, printing the shipping labels (if shipping), etc, etc, etc, is tedious work that takes forever.
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #29
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPhotos24 View Post
On the other note, I would definately say 2-3 weeks and aim for 2. All that packaging, sorting, checking off the envelopes, printing the shipping labels (if shipping), etc, etc, etc, is tedious work that takes forever.
Most of the labs that I have considered will do all the packaging for you for minimal fees. Some charge flat rates and others charge a percentage of the order. Miller's charges 10%.

Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #30
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post
Most of the labs that I have considered will do all the packaging for you for minimal fees. Some charge flat rates and others charge a percentage of the order. Miller's charges 10%.
That's interesting, I get them all ordered and then organize them myself. Getting them in the sleeves and ready to go isn't a problem, it's when I have to mail them that sucks (when the photos were done late in the season and not able to hand deliver them to parents). It not only cuts drastically into profit becuase of postage and shipping supplies, but it also triples the time to package and get them ready to go. Definately a benefit if the lab does it.