Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News > Rumors > Camera Rumors and Predictions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of December 2007 (Mon)   #76
liquefied

Default Re: Canon's upgrade of the 5D: what and when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragos Jianu View Post
Quick reality check : In February Nikon is releasing the D3X as the direct competitor to the 1ds3 (in time for the Olympics) and a replacement to the D80 which will probably share, as always before, the same AF system as the D300. 51AF points for 900$? Canon has been beaten to a pole this year. You tell me if IT (not worth calling it he/she) should react and give us some worthy bang for the buck rather then tea spoon feeding us crap. The D80 replacement will be the real Canon killer for those just entering the world of DSLR.
Links please.

liquefied is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #77
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

D3X is not that cheap. Word on the new 5D is wait for the spring. Canon rep at my store is trying to get me a full confirmation. He managed to find out about the 40D couple of months before official release so he's doing the same to find out something on the new Rebel and 5D.

Ya'll know something when I do.
Old 30th of December 2007 (Sun)   #78
danskim

Quote:
I'm with CDI on this one : all this "different camera" thing is just marketing bull****. A way Canon can squeeze some extra $ from you. Look at Nikon. Their current lineup is perfectly incremental. You pay 4000$ more for a 1Ds3 and you only get a slightly larger sensor and more MP trading fps for it. U can buy a damn workstation for 4000$. make is quadcore for all i care, for that kind of money i think i deserve it. Lets get serious, those DigicIII chips are dirt cheap considering the prices of dual core computer CPUs. The only reasonable explanation is DIRTY MARKETING.
Just like saying you can't have 100% viewfinder, weather sealing and proAF under 4500$. Nikon changed that preconception too...It's just MARKETING.
I don't think Digic III chips are the reason for expensive pro DSLRs. Canon's P+S cameras have them also.
To an extent it's marketing. It also has to do with supply and demand. I'm pretty sure there are more computers than digital cameras.... especially high end DSLRs.

Do you really think a $1,000,000 Enzo is 12x better/faster than a $80,000 M5?
There are less of them, and those that are willing to pay (or need) for them buy them.
Old 30th of December 2007 (Sun)   #79
danskim

Quote:
Quick reality check : In February Nikon is releasing the D3X as the direct competitor to the 1ds3 (in time for the Olympics) and a replacement to the D80 which will probably share, as always before, the same AF system as the D300. 51AF points for 900$? Canon has been beaten to a pole this year. You tell me if IT (not worth calling it he/she) should react and give us some worthy bang for the buck rather then tea spoon feeding us crap. The D80 replacement will be the real Canon killer for those just entering the world of DSLR.
Ok, let's say that true... and Canon loses on all fronts this generation.
There's always next generation. It happened for Nikon didn't it? (Assuming the above).
Of course it's not like I don't want more bang for the buck because I do, but I don't think you can really call Canon's products "crap" even if they are/will be inferior this time.
And you have to understand that Canon and Nikon and everyone else operates businesses. Their goal is to make money by increasing their profits...

Also... D80 and its replacement won't be for most people just starting with DSLRs. That's where the D40/D40x and future replacements come in.
Old 30th of December 2007 (Sun)   #80
Pekka
El General Moderator

Canon's CEO says in http://china.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fsS...&storyid=51881

Translation:
"We will launch powerful products. A new version of the mid range
5D will be launched with more pixels and enhanced durability to the
market. With the same price, we will release better products. "

I think this means next 5D will have more megapixels, weather sealing and fully magnesium body, and about the same price.

----------------------------

Last edited by Pekka : 30th of December 2007 (Sun) at 08:59.
Pekka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of December 2007 (Sun)   #81
cyrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka View Post

Translation:

I think this means next 5D will have more megapixels, weather sealing and fully magnesium body, and about the same price.
Seems like they still reserve the 45pt AF for the 1 series.

Wait till Nikon intro FF equivalent of D300 consumer cam with the 51AF points.
Old 30th of December 2007 (Sun)   #82
freakeystyley34

Quote:
If they are making a d3x, i'd love to know where you found it out, as this is the first i've heard of it.

I really don't think the d80 replacement will have the d300 AF in, as the d300 has the AF from the d3 and i'd be surprised if nikon can put pro AF in an slr selling at less than $1000.

I think canon are doing ok, but there are a few things which would win the market back over again imo:
- 1d3n. They should make an update to the 1d3 as soon as possible, before too much of the worlds press switch to nikon. They should make 16mp ish full frame, with a 1.3 crop mode with viewfinder masking, which would be about 9mp. 10fps at 9mp and 8ish at 16mp. Contrast detect AF for live view so no mirror up nonsense. Better screen on the back. A 14-24 competitor would also be amazing. I struggle to believe canon can't do better than the 14L prime when it's so much worse than a nikon zoom of the same aperture and focal length.

- 5d mk2. I really think that staying at 12mp would be the best thing. Unless you're printing really really big, you don't really need more mp than that, and if you do want to print really really big then you should get a 1ds3. By staying at 12mp the high iso noise could rival the d3 at half the price (ish). Canon will obviously want to increase the mp so realistically i think 14mp would be the best we can hope for. 5fps and weather sealing are a must as is a very good AF system, as it'll be competing with the d300 which has pro AF.

- Probably the most important launch financially is the new rebel. It's clearly the one which will sell the most worldwide. I think sticking at 10mp and going to 4fps or maybe 5 with AF from the 30d or something similar (at least 9 point) would be sensible. A better 2.5 inch screen would be the best thing to do as a 3 inch screen on the small body would be ridiculous as there wouldn't be space for anything else. Live view with contrast detect AF is a great idea to bridge the gap from the P+S.

Now i'm pretty sure canon won't do this but it just seems so wierd to me that they don't seem to do the sensible thing very often.

What do you guys think?
freakeystyley34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of December 2007 (Sun)   #83
DLInspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicokat View Post
The 5D is already selling for $2200
Sorry to be off topic here..but god dam calicokat....you're gear added together is ridiculously expensive..how the heck do you afford all of that lol.
Old 31st of December 2007 (Mon)   #84
VTSHEP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka View Post

Translation:

Thanks for this, was there any mention of dates in this article?

Gear: EOS 3D mkMXVI, 1-15600mm smf-IS f0L
VTSHEP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of December 2007 (Mon)   #85
cyrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSHEP1 View Post
Thanks for this, was there any mention of dates in this article?
24th Jan
Old 31st of December 2007 (Mon)   #86
Trout Bum

[QUOTE and fully magnesium body, and about the same price.[/quote]

If that pans out, might that make it a few oz. lighter that the current 5D?
I really hope they don't go above 14 MP.

(Be gentle with me, it's my first time... )

My Zenfolio
Trout Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of January 2008 (Wed)   #87
Geoffery

The new camera is most likely at beta level, undergoing further tests prior to its official announcement by Canon in Fall, in conjunction with Photokina 2008. PMA Show 2008 at Las Vegas end of January is not the ideal place to announce a successor to the EOS 5D. A successor to the EOS Xti Rebel is more likely to be unveiled in conjunction with the PMA event.

A year ago, everyone/everywhere was speculating on the EOS 40D for PMA 2007 and Canon decided to unveil the EOS-1D Mark III instead.

EOS 40D and the EOS-1Ds Mark III became part of the Fall announcement of 2007 instead due to it not being a Photokina year to capitalise on. At this point of time, it is too early for Canon to announce a successor to the EOS 5D as both the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III and Nikon D3 have not been in the market long enough to gauge how much effect (sales-wise) of both against the volumes of the EOS 5D and EOS-1D Mark III.

Rebates and promotions of the 5D currently may not necessary mean it is going to be replaced soon. It may be promoted against the onslaught of Nikon D300 and Sony Alpha A700, both of which are 12MPs and APS-C DSLRs.

Also, the EOS 350D (Rebel XT) has been dropped from the 4th-quarter 2007 catalog line-up of EOS models in my country/region while the EOS 5D remains. In the 4th-quarter 2006 catalog, only the EOS-1D Mark II N was missing from the line-up while EOS 30D remained. 1st-quarter 2008 catalog will be issued at end of January.

Last edited by Geoffery : 2nd of January 2008 (Wed) at 05:20.
Geoffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of January 2008 (Wed)   #88
cloose

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakeystyley34 View Post
If they are making a d3x,

- Probably the most important launch financially is the new rebel. It's clearly the one which will sell the most worldwide. I think sticking at 10mp and going to 4fps or maybe 5 with AF from the 30d or something similar (at least 9 point) would be sensible. A better 2.5 inch screen would be the best thing to do as a 3 inch screen on the small body would be ridiculous as there wouldn't be space for anything else. Live view with contrast detect AF is a great idea to bridge the gap from the P+S.

Now i'm pretty sure canon won't do this but it just seems so wierd to me that they don't seem to do the sensible thing very often.

What do you guys think?
The XTi already had the same AF as the 30D, so an upgraded AF may not happen.
Hate to say it, but I think a mp increase will happen, as this is still a camera geared towards the P&S crowd, where mp's sell. 12mp, live view, 4-5 fps would be my guess.
Old 2nd of January 2008 (Wed)   #89
California4Life

Just for the record, I went ahead and bought a mint condition 5D from a forum member here last week. I am very happy with the decision.

I actually talked to a Canon sales rep about a month ago (a real Canon rep, not some cashier at the local camera shop) and he said that he and his peers had absolutely no idea exactly when the 5D's upgrade would be released, but he said "for sure, no earlier than June." He explained that Canon has two major releases scheduled in the next 6 months, and neither of them were a 5D upgrade. So basically, it could be as soon as June, or as late as December.
Nobody knows, and the ones who might know aren't telling.

The 5D I got is great and I'm sure if the upgrade is worth it, I'll be able to sell mine for a good price and put that towards the new model. My advice? If you want the 5D now, get it now. It's a great camera. No use holding your breath.
Old 2nd of January 2008 (Wed)   #90
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

If the 5D MkII is as much as a new 5D is now, then I may save up, depending on how cheap used 5D's start to go for. FF is looking better and better all the time.