Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 20 Oct 2007 (Saturday) 13:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Post your best panorama

jonklein611
119 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Moon Twp / Erie Pa
Oct 20, 2007 21:26 |  #16

Tumak wrote in post #4161299external link
Ok, I will. I like this one. Others in this thread are great also.

Thanks, that one was tricky, i was using a post as my tripod cause I left mine @ home *doh!*. As far as getting the color to match, just play in ps for a bit (i use a diff program, but the concept is the same). The stitching program I use tends not to color correct so I try to match them 1st.

To give Ran an idea of how many pictures to use, #1 I used 8-9 photos, #2 I used 3 photos, and in #3 I used 8 (you can count the jet car 8 times, lol). I'd say have your photos overlap by about 1/4 to 1/3 allow smooth coverage. Start at one end, and pick a reference point (say a rock, tree, post, something), and keep that reference point in the next pic. Keep repeating this until you have the whole span that you want as a shot. This makes stitching soooo much easier.

Also, more is not always better, the more you try to stitch together, the more "bending" you have. I'm still new at this, so I'm not sure what could fix this. The biggest pan that I've done that looked good was #1 in my 3. It about 200-250 degress of pan.

Great shots everyone!

Camera: Rebel XTi, 18-55, 70-200 f/4 L, Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW, Lowepro Lens Case 2

sponsored links
Becca
Lady in Red
Joined Apr 2005
Glendale, Arizona
Oct 20, 2007 21:31 |  #17

I think this was 4 shots... handheld from my lounge chair! Tobacco Bay, Bermuda.

IMAGE: http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/BeccaNH/Bermuda%202007/tobaccobay3.jpg

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

SHULTSIE!!!
"Stonehenge wasn't too impressive"
3,964 posts
Joined Jul 2006
DC
Oct 20, 2007 21:38 as a reply to jonklein611's post |  #18

I was just north of Alki Beach. One photo.
Exif Data:
Exposure time: 1.600 s
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv.: 100

IMAGE: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/piflyboy/Skyline_2580v1-2.jpg

Justin
My Gear
My 15 minutes of fame...external link

azpix
Goldmember
3,324 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Chandler, Arizona USA
Oct 20, 2007 21:46 |  #19

tongmaster wrote in post #4160654 (external link)
This panorama was shot in 2004 with a Canon A80. It was taken on the top of Mt Ruapehu in the central North Island of New Zealand. The mountain is an active volcano and very popular winter ski resort.

I used the software that came with the camera and so it is perhaps quite basic.

QUOTED IMAGE

if that's basic then sign me up for for the basic course.

great capture, great pano of an amazing subject. SUPERB CAPTURE!

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

EZRider
831 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Kissimmee, Florida
Oct 20, 2007 21:57 |  #20

Took this one just yesterday on the ride home from work. 2 shots taking very quickly along the side of a road.
Pasture in Kissimmee, Florida

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

And I took this one last year in Canmore, Canada while on a snowboarding trip to Banff.

I forget how many shots it was :( I believe it was 3??

Morning sunrise
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

http://spaces.msn.com/​patriot1964/external link
G2 / 300D / 24-105L IS / 100-400L IS / Nifty Fifty / 420EX

Rendezvous
Goldmember
1,181 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Tauranga, New Zealand
Oct 20, 2007 22:54 |  #21

HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Mt Ruapehu, taken from the Desert Road. Sorry it's a bit big..

danieltalbotPhotographyexternal link
Follow me on Twitter: @danieljtalbotexternal link

tommy52
782 posts
Joined Jul 2007
hon,hi -> tokyo,japan
Oct 20, 2007 23:14 as a reply to post 4161299 |  #22

IMAGE: http://tommy52.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p391376739-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://tommy52.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p425016273-5.jpg
this is a fake pano :o , but i was planning on cropping it like a pano when i took the shot

xti | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 | 10-20 sigma |
and a bunch of crap
My Zenexternal link
pwnslabexternal link

chefonfire
131 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Oct 21, 2007 01:15 |  #23

Hey everyone!
This is a great forum! Some really great shots here!

Here are 3 of mine.

I'm still learning this, so be patient heh. All of these were without a tripod.

This one was taken with my wife's point and shoot SD550. It is a total of 6 shots. Canon's stitching program did this. The picture is the Kilauea crater on the Big Island of Hawaii.

MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

This one is comprised of 8 shots and was done with my XTi. Sorry don't remember the EXIF. It was done with PS CS2

This was a rainbow that I got with my wife's SD550, before I had my XTi. It was 4 images and put together with Canon's stitching software.

Thanks everyone,
Dustin

coralnutz
546 posts
Joined May 2007
Prior Lake, MN
Oct 21, 2007 03:22 |  #24

Wow, there are some really awsome shots in here. Mines not the best, was my first try with the photostitch.

IMAGE: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/coralnutz/Highlandhills2_800.jpg

Flickr Galleryexternal link

tom1s
Goldmember
1,919 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Arizona, USA
Oct 21, 2007 08:06 as a reply to coralnutz's post |  #25

I agree, some very nice shots here. I don't have a lot of experiance making my own panoramic shots, but I do enjoy looking at them.

- I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

HimupNorth
75 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Inverness, Scotland
Oct 21, 2007 11:02 |  #26

This is a pano of 3 shots taken on the Isle of Skye. The hill is Bein na Caillich.

All done in Photoshop including mono conversion.

IMAGE: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/222/492907598_8f7afa958d_b.jpg

coralnutz
546 posts
Joined May 2007
Prior Lake, MN
Oct 21, 2007 11:19 |  #27

Anyone know of any online tutorials for removing the seems in photoshop? Photostitch does a fairly good job, but still have to go into photoshop to remove the seem lines. Is there a way to like highlight the areas and then have the computer average out the color and brightness?

Flickr Galleryexternal link

rammy
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Joined Oct 2004
London, England
Oct 21, 2007 11:29 |  #28

coralnutz wrote in post #4164106external link
Anyone know of any online tutorials for removing the seems in photoshop? Photostitch does a fairly good job, but still have to go into photoshop to remove the seem lines. Is there a way to like highlight the areas and then have the computer average out the color and brightness?

You shouldn't have any seems if shot right. If you are shooting with a P&S camera or are using a polariser filer or some filters on the lens then you will get seems and the best way to balance the images I found is to use the CHANNELS and make levels adjustments on the Green and Blue channels to each image. Overlap them with layers and you should see them blend better.

To get the shots right first, MANUAL everything

Set your ISO.
Preset the White Balance (cloudy is good).
Preset the shutter speed.
Preset the aperture.
Auto Focus and then switch the lens to manual focus.

The easiest way to preset the aperture and shutter speed if you are not familiar with "M" mode is to set the dial to "AV". Dial in F/8 or F/11 for the aperture and see what setting the camera recommends for the shutter speed.

Then switch to "M" mode, dial in the same aperture used on "AV" and dial in the recommended shutter speed you got in "AV" mode.

Overlap your images by 30-50% and shoot left to right.

Gear | Surrey Wedding Photographerexternal link | Surrey Wedding Photographer Blogexternal link | London Architecture Photographerexternal link

chefonfire
131 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Oct 21, 2007 13:04 |  #29

coralnutz wrote in post #4164106external link

Hey Coral,

I know that shots don't always come out the same, especially sunrises or shots with lots of contrast, but there are a couple tricks I learned. I am by no means a photoshop master, but I put all the shots in a new image with separate layers. Then I set the first one with lower opacity and use the erase tool to blend the seems in the layer underneath. You will have to play with the hardness of the eraser, but just use it to help you blend the layers together. After you do this you can turn the opacity back up. When you have it just right you can either lock the second layer or just merge them. Then just repeat the steps with the other layers.

I'm sure this is by no means the only way, but I find this useful. You can also make sure that you set all the levels similarly to prevent huge distortions between the layers.

Also, Practical Photography (UK magazine) has a current issue in the US that has a huge section on taking Panoramic shots, setup, and putting together. Step by step. I'm pretty sure that's the mag. It is one of the UK mags anyway. It says Panoramic something really big on the front, so you should see it.

IM me if you need some help.
Dustin

jnev
258 posts
Joined Apr 2007
san diego, ca
Oct 21, 2007 14:07 |  #30

this was a total of 15 pictures stitched together, taken with my rebel xt and 17-55.

HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

Camera: Rebel XT with BG-E3| 17-55 F/2.8 IS | 70-200 F/4.0L | Planning on others... :D
Computer: MacBook Pro | 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | Snow Leopard 10.6.2 | Dell 2005FPW
Software: Lightroom 2.6 | Photoshop CS4

sponsored links

687,512 views & 2694 likes for this thread
Post your best panorama
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.