Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 21 Oct 2007 (Sunday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Talk me out of changing camps...

GrendelZ
539 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 21, 2007 11:27 |  #1

OK let me start by saying I love Canon and was really looking forward to my next camera. I was waiting like many for the next 5d as my next upgrade, but... I have been reading more and more about the D300 and they have just about convinced me. I cant see how the 7D? will be much better and it will cost twice as much. The only advantage is the full frame sensor but that isn't really a must have for me. The "experts" have raved about the low light performance of the new 12mp sensor in the D300 and it has plenty of speed and live view a great screen and will only cost $1799.

So should I jump?

5DIII & a rotating door of other things

PhotoMayo.net (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,266 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 21, 2007 11:31 |  #2

Remember then you has the cost of new glass..........

What don't you like about the 5D that has made you want to wait for it's replacement????? If full Frame is not the important factor, why not a 40D ????

At the end of the day it is your choice........

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS
My Gear List
My Websiteexternal link

braduardo
Goldmember
2,630 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 21, 2007 11:32 |  #3

$1800 + LENSES...

Why don't you like what you have?

:rolleyes: ----Brad---- :rolleyes:
www.nybergstudio.com (external link)
40D: EF 17-40 f4 L ---- EF 70-200mm f4 L ---- EF 50mm f1.4 ---- EF 85mm f1.8

Chris1le
891 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 21, 2007 11:37 as a reply to  @ braduardo's post |  #4

Because next year Canon will announce a new camera that will beat the Nikon. Then Nikon will beat Canon. Why spend the time going back and forth? I've never understood this. :confused:

My Pictures (external link) : My Gear (external link)
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage

braduardo
Goldmember
2,630 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 21, 2007 12:46 as a reply to  @ Chris1le's post |  #5

Just like you wouldn't buy a new car every year, even though they keep changing things from year to year. Besides, no matter what you have, there will always be something better.

:rolleyes: ----Brad---- :rolleyes:
www.nybergstudio.com (external link)
40D: EF 17-40 f4 L ---- EF 70-200mm f4 L ---- EF 50mm f1.4 ---- EF 85mm f1.8

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 21, 2007 13:58 |  #6

How much for your 30D grip?:)

My Gear

GrendelZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 21, 2007 13:59 as a reply to  @ braduardo's post |  #7

OK so this is the thing. I am hoping to start shooting full time within the next year. I cant afford the mark III at this time or the D3. I was thinking the 5D would be the best upgrade for the money but the D300 seems to equal of pass it in every category except sensor size (and for less money). As I stated I really dont have a lot in the way of lenses so this is a negligible consideration. I am likely going to be building my future kit based on which camera I choose. I'm researching the cost difference of the other things such as grips, flashes, lenses etc... to see if this is a smart move. I'm not just jumping because this is the flavor of the month, I am going to start building my system around this camera.

5DIII & a rotating door of other things

PhotoMayo.net (external link)
instagram (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 21, 2007 17:28 |  #8

I always chuckle when I see the "talk me out of the dark side" threads. If you have progressed to the point where you are ready to work full time as a photographer then you certainly should be able make these determinations on your own.

GrendelZ wrote in post #4164782 (external link)
I'm not just jumping because this is the flavor of the month, I am going to start building my system around this camera.

But the D300 is the flavor of the month right now. If you can categorically say that this is going to be your body for the next couple of years and build around it on that premise then good for you. If you have the type of personality that is going to tempt you to the next "latest and greatest" then you will be looking back to Canon in a short while. It is said above, Nikon will lead for awhile and then Canon and so on.

I do agree that what you have invested so far is not all that significant and you will recoup some of this through its disposition. It is a matter of lining up your priorities and seeing what from each camp matches those the most. Both companies have good lineups on glass. There will be those that will point out the shortcomings of the Nikon lineup but there are gaps in the Canon lineup as well.

If you are really serious about this question then I would hope that you are posting the same question on a pro Nikon site to provide some balance.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,713 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 21, 2007 21:29 |  #9

Jump. You can always jump back. It's only money.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Oct 21, 2007 21:43 |  #10

Jump while the jumping is good. Noinkians.org is anxiously awaiting your arrivial...:lol:

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sponsored links

1,038 views & 0 likes for this thread
Talk me out of changing camps...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.