FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 21 Oct 2007 (Sunday) 11:27   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

GrendelZ
Joined Mar 2005
512 posts
WhiteHouse,TN
[MORE/SHARE]

OK let me start by saying I love Canon and was really looking forward to my next camera. I was waiting like many for the next 5d as my next upgrade, but... I have been reading more and more about the D300 and they have just about convinced me. I cant see how the 7D? will be much better and it will cost twice as much. The only advantage is the full frame sensor but that isn't really a must have for me. The "experts" have raved about the low light performance of the new 12mp sensor in the D300 and it has plenty of speed and live view a great screen and will only cost $1799.

So should I jump?

Post #1, Oct 21, 2007 11:27:27

6D & a rotating door of other things

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Pete ­ W
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
1,257 posts
Sawbridgeworth, Herts. UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Remember then you has the cost of new glass..........

What don't you like about the 5D that has made you want to wait for it's replacement????? If full Frame is not the important factor, why not a 40D ????

At the end of the day it is your choice........

Post #2, Oct 21, 2007 11:31:02

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS
My Gear List
My Websiteexternal link

braduardo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
2,629 posts
Minneapolis, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

$1800 + LENSES...

Why don't you like what you have?

Post #3, Oct 21, 2007 11:32:18

:rolleyes: ----Brad---- :rolleyes:
www.nybergstudio.comexternal link
40D: EF 17-40 f4 L ---- EF 70-200mm f4 L ---- EF 50mm f1.4 ---- EF 85mm f1.8

Chris1le
Joined Aug 2003
891 posts
Gig Harbor, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

Because next year Canon will announce a new camera that will beat the Nikon. Then Nikon will beat Canon. Why spend the time going back and forth? I've never understood this. :confused:

Post #4, Oct 21, 2007 11:37:28 as a reply to braduardo's post 5 minutes earlier.

My Picturesexternal link : My Gearexternal link
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage

braduardo
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
2,629 posts
Minneapolis, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

Just like you wouldn't buy a new car every year, even though they keep changing things from year to year. Besides, no matter what you have, there will always be something better.

Post #5, Oct 21, 2007 12:46:42 as a reply to Chris1le's post 1 hour earlier.

:rolleyes: ----Brad---- :rolleyes:
www.nybergstudio.comexternal link
40D: EF 17-40 f4 L ---- EF 70-200mm f4 L ---- EF 50mm f1.4 ---- EF 85mm f1.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
7,793 posts
Michigan-U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

How much for your 30D grip?:)

Post #6, Oct 21, 2007 13:58:32

My Gear

GrendelZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2005
512 posts
WhiteHouse,TN
[MORE/SHARE]

OK so this is the thing. I am hoping to start shooting full time within the next year. I cant afford the mark III at this time or the D3. I was thinking the 5D would be the best upgrade for the money but the D300 seems to equal of pass it in every category except sensor size (and for less money). As I stated I really dont have a lot in the way of lenses so this is a negligible consideration. I am likely going to be building my future kit based on which camera I choose. I'm researching the cost difference of the other things such as grips, flashes, lenses etc... to see if this is a smart move. I'm not just jumping because this is the flavor of the month, I am going to start building my system around this camera.

Post #7, Oct 21, 2007 13:59:20 as a reply to braduardo's post 1 hour earlier.

6D & a rotating door of other things

flickrexternal link

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I always chuckle when I see the "talk me out of the dark side" threads. If you have progressed to the point where you are ready to work full time as a photographer then you certainly should be able make these determinations on your own.

GrendelZ wrote in post #4164782external link
I'm not just jumping because this is the flavor of the month, I am going to start building my system around this camera.

But the D300 is the flavor of the month right now. If you can categorically say that this is going to be your body for the next couple of years and build around it on that premise then good for you. If you have the type of personality that is going to tempt you to the next "latest and greatest" then you will be looking back to Canon in a short while. It is said above, Nikon will lead for awhile and then Canon and so on.

I do agree that what you have invested so far is not all that significant and you will recoup some of this through its disposition. It is a matter of lining up your priorities and seeing what from each camp matches those the most. Both companies have good lineups on glass. There will be those that will point out the shortcomings of the Nikon lineup but there are gaps in the Canon lineup as well.

If you are really serious about this question then I would hope that you are posting the same question on a pro Nikon site to provide some balance.

Post #8, Oct 21, 2007 17:28:51

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
Joined Jan 2004
3,281 posts
Twin Cities
[MORE/SHARE]

Jump. You can always jump back. It's only money.

Post #9, Oct 21, 2007 21:29:17

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII,
2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2. Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
66,283 posts
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
[MORE/SHARE]

Jump while the jumping is good. Noinkians.org is anxiously awaiting your arrivial...:lol:

Post #10, Oct 21, 2007 21:43:30

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
539 views & 0 likes for this thread
Talk me out of changing camps...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES