Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #1
GrendelZ

Default Talk me out of changing camps...

OK let me start by saying I love Canon and was really looking forward to my next camera. I was waiting like many for the next 5d as my next upgrade, but... I have been reading more and more about the D300 and they have just about convinced me. I cant see how the 7D? will be much better and it will cost twice as much. The only advantage is the full frame sensor but that isn't really a must have for me. The "experts" have raved about the low light performance of the new 12mp sensor in the D300 and it has plenty of speed and live view a great screen and will only cost $1799.

So should I jump?

6D & a rotating door of other things

flickr
GrendelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #2
Pete W

Default Re: Talk me out of changing camps...

Remember then you has the cost of new glass..........

What don't you like about the 5D that has made you want to wait for it's replacement?? If full Frame is not the important factor, why not a 40D ?

At the end of the day it is your choice........
My Website
Pete W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #3
braduardo
Goldmember

$1800 + LENSES...

Why don't you like what you have?
braduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #4
Chris1le

Because next year Canon will announce a new camera that will beat the Nikon. Then Nikon will beat Canon. Why spend the time going back and forth? I've never understood this.
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #5
braduardo
Goldmember

Just like you wouldn't buy a new car every year, even though they keep changing things from year to year. Besides, no matter what you have, there will always be something better.
braduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #6
runninmann
what the heck do I know?

How much for your 30D grip?
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #7
GrendelZ

OK so this is the thing. I am hoping to start shooting full time within the next year. I cant afford the mark III at this time or the D3. I was thinking the 5D would be the best upgrade for the money but the D300 seems to equal of pass it in every category except sensor size (and for less money). As I stated I really dont have a lot in the way of lenses so this is a negligible consideration. I am likely going to be building my future kit based on which camera I choose. I'm researching the cost difference of the other things such as grips, flashes, lenses etc... to see if this is a smart move. I'm not just jumping because this is the flavor of the month, I am going to start building my system around this camera.

6D & a rotating door of other things

flickr
GrendelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #8
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

I always chuckle when I see the "talk me out of the dark side" threads. If you have progressed to the point where you are ready to work full time as a photographer then you certainly should be able make these determinations on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelZ View Post
I'm not just jumping because this is the flavor of the month, I am going to start building my system around this camera.
But the D300 is the flavor of the month right now. If you can categorically say that this is going to be your body for the next couple of years and build around it on that premise then good for you. If you have the type of personality that is going to tempt you to the next "latest and greatest" then you will be looking back to Canon in a short while. It is said above, Nikon will lead for awhile and then Canon and so on.

I do agree that what you have invested so far is not all that significant and you will recoup some of this through its disposition. It is a matter of lining up your priorities and seeing what from each camp matches those the most. Both companies have good lineups on glass. There will be those that will point out the shortcomings of the Nikon lineup but there are gaps in the Canon lineup as well.

If you are really serious about this question then I would hope that you are posting the same question on a pro Nikon site to provide some balance.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #9
Tapeman
Sliced Bread

Jump. You can always jump back. It's only money.
Old 21st of October 2007 (Sun)   #10
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself

Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jump while the jumping is good. Noinkians.org is anxiously awaiting your arrivial...
Woolburr is offline   Reply With Quote