FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Oct 2007 (Tuesday) 01:52   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mikaelrules
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I haven't used my 40D for a week or two and now when I turn it on and try to do anything, the small LCD just says "buSY" on it. The camera Auto Focuses fine but I am unable to take any pictures or even review the pictures I have taken. Am I missing anything here? =/

I've tried removing the battery including the tiny back up one yet the problem still exists.

Post #1, Oct 30, 2007 01:52:54

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
M24
Joined Sep 2007
234 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Do you mean the LCD on the top of the body?

Have you removed all batteries, including the date battery? If not, please do that, cycle the power switch and shutter switch a few times and then let the camera sit for half an hour or so. After that, put the batteries back in and start over. If you still have the same problem, you need to get a replacement.

I'm curious what brought this issue on. Did you make any changes of lenses or other accessories? The reason I ask is that I'm on my second 40D, which started Err 99-ing and it is back for service now. I'm awaiting word on what the problem is. It would be really great if we could figure out if there is some combination of accessories that the 40Ds just don't like. I know that isn't a happy thought, but I am beginning to wonder.

Best,

Michael

Post #2, Oct 30, 2007 02:02:55

40D kit is sold | G10 Love it!!! | 350D w/BG-E3 | EF-S 10-22 | 70-200 2.8L | Canon 1.4x II | Tammy 28-300 VC | B+W filters | Novoflex Magicball | 50D and 5D MKII on the way...

mikaelrules
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yup, I mean the LCD on top of the body. Right now the camera is sitting without any batteries and I'm going to try again later tonight to see how it goes.

I did not touch the camera from the time I last used it to the time this error started showing up. All I did was take out the CF card a few days ago to copy pictures. The lens on the camera is still the one I was using when the camera was working fine. (24-70L, if it matters).

I hope I don't have to send this back to Canon because I'm leaving for Tokyo tomorrow and might have to take the 350D instead. :confused:

Post #3, Oct 30, 2007 02:07:24 as a reply to M24's post 4 minutes earlier.

M24
Joined Sep 2007
234 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Small world, I was in Tokyo with my 350D back in March/April of this year. If you are in Shinjuku, you've got to check out the Canon Digital Center there, it's caddy-corned across the street from the Hilton.

I have heard that some people have had to leave their cameras sit overnight with all batteries removed to clear them. Too bad you have to leave tomorrow. That is a really weird error. I take it that the error continues with a CF card in place. That's the only thing I can think of. Please keep us posted. I'm really wondering about the 40D, way too many issues around the world with this camera.

Even if your 40D isn't working, why not take it with you? If you are in Tokyo, Canon will work on your camera there while you wait. Their service was incredible when I was there. Don't worry if you don't speak Japanese, there will be someone there to help you.

Good luck,

Michael

Post #4, Oct 30, 2007 02:29:55 as a reply to mikaelrules's post 22 minutes earlier.

40D kit is sold | G10 Love it!!! | 350D w/BG-E3 | EF-S 10-22 | 70-200 2.8L | Canon 1.4x II | Tammy 28-300 VC | B+W filters | Novoflex Magicball | 50D and 5D MKII on the way...

LotsToLearn
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
2,290 posts
GTA, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Try another card if you have one. Could be corrupt and the body could be stuck reading it.

Post #5, Oct 30, 2007 06:57:39

sponsored links
twofruitz
Joined Oct 2007
840 posts
AUSTRALIA
[MORE/SHARE]

It will also do this if there is/was a problem with the USB connection?

Post #6, Oct 30, 2007 07:14:31

Gear List

mikaelrules
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, I just put the batteries back in and still got the same result. Same goes for trying another CF card. I've never used the camera's USB connection, but I just tried plugging it in and... nothing happened. The computer did not detect anything and the camera remained in its "stuck" state. I guess my camera's off to canon when I get to Tokyo then.

Post #7, Oct 30, 2007 09:51:56

M24
Joined Sep 2007
234 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Please let us know what happens when you return from tokyo.

Also, when I was at the Canon Digital Center in Shinjuku, they had just about every model laid out on a table for consumers to play with. Back then in March, I got to play with a 1D MK III and was blown away. Perhaps you will get to handle a 1Ds MK III?

I am looking forward to hearing more on your story.

Best,

Michael

Post #8, Oct 30, 2007 14:50:10 as a reply to mikaelrules's post 4 hours earlier.

mikaelrules
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2005
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, I just got back from the Canon service center here in Tokyo and they said it would take 10 days for them to get it fixed. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be here that long so I guess I'm just going to get the camera fixed when I return to the Philippines on Sunday. :(

Post #9, Oct 31, 2007 07:11:15 as a reply to M24's post 16 hours earlier.

M24
Joined Sep 2007
234 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Ten days!!! Wow!

Did they tell you what is wrong with it  ???

I hope they gave you some info.

Also, did you get to play with anything new while there?

I'm jealous, if I could, I'd be on a plane to Tokyo today, I love it there!!!

Best,

Michael

Post #10, Oct 31, 2007 13:35:29 as a reply to mikaelrules's post 6 hours earlier.

Aliengreen
Joined Nov 2007
31 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi guys, I'm having the very same problem on my 40D, and I think its a CF card problem, although I use a fast Extreme III 2.0G Sandisk card. Maybe this happens when you delete your old data with a PC instead of the camera? Or maybe when you have all the sharpening functions turned on? But why the unusually long delay between shots when you have the highly-touted DIGIC III processor inside your camera? I'm with M24 on this, I wish Canon gave us some info....

Post #11, Dec 22, 2007 22:28:12

sponsored links
led ­ hed
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 posts
Apsley, On. CAN.
[MORE/SHARE]

my 40D and 30D both still show 'busy' AFTER all pics are finished downloading to the pc, i just turn camera off and disconnect cord with no problems.

i saw a thread like this a week aog.

Post #12, Dec 22, 2007 22:57:00

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

phocalphobe
Joined Apr 2005
903 posts
kapolei, hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

are you able to get into the menu?

if so, maybe resetting all options to default might do the trick.

and, failing that how 'bout installing or re-installing (if possible) newest firmware?

Post #13, Dec 22, 2007 23:31:29 as a reply to led hed's post 34 minutes earlier.

i'm a canon gear junkie..........i..... need....help..........​..in buying me more canon gear.:p

Gear List

led ­ hed
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 posts
Apsley, On. CAN.
[MORE/SHARE]

phocalphobe wrote in post #4555280external link
are you able to get into the menu?

if so, maybe resetting all options to default might do the trick.

and, failing that how 'bout installing or re-installing (if possible) newest firmware?

me? i'm able to still access all functions, so i'm not concerned at this point.

Post #14, Dec 22, 2007 23:52:42

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

Aliengreen
Joined Nov 2007
31 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

phocalphobe, were you asking me? I checked my firmware, its an older version (v1.3), but seems the new one posted by Canon is fraught with problems too (v1.5). I'll try resetting to defaults and see what happens. My problem started when I started shooting in low light and the batteries of the hotshoe flash gave out. Maybe it tripped something...

Post #15, Dec 23, 2007 04:02:02

LIST NEARBY THREADS
15,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 40D stuck at "buSY"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES