Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of October 2007 (Wed)   #1
dodorouthier

Default Your routine as pros for bball events

I shoot in dim light most of the time. I use a 50 1.8 and and just added a 85 1.8 for basketball . I own a 30d
Here is what I do, but I am not improving anymore...
I get into a gym, first I look at the speed I get at iso 800 at f 1.8. If I get anything over 1/500, I go to f 2 or 2.2 to help me with sharpness issues. Then I do a costom white balance with a white object on site.
Then I check the exposure and I shoot with the camera on AV mode at a minimum speed of 1/400. I love it when i can use iso 800 but its RarE. I dont like the noise at iso 1600 and over. I sometimes do well...other times I am wasting my time. I used the * for a while to focus with my 20d, did not change the settings for this one. I find that my 70-200 IS focuses well compared to my other lens but the 1.8 is very practical in low light
You pros out there, what is your routine?
I would love to do better
dodorouthier is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of October 2007 (Wed)   #2
Mike R
Goldmember

Default Re: Your routine as pros for bball events

I haven't shot BB yet but for other sports, I shoot in M that way I can use f/2.8 and also set the shutter speed to 1/400. This way I know that they will not change but I can adjust the ISO for the proper exposure. The aperture I use is dependent on the lighting.
Old 31st of October 2007 (Wed)   #3
butcha27

You may be better asking "non-pro's" I shoot pro basketball but the lighting is always reasonably good. I shoot womens too and get some dark gyms though. I don't have an 85 f/1.8 as yet, I always use the 70-200 f/2.8. I'm not sure if my advice will help too much as I also use a 400D and can shoot at ISO1600 without too much noise. I do always shoot in full manual though. If you think I may be able to help just ask or pm me.
butcha27 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of October 2007 (Wed)   #4
dodorouthier

cricket looks fun!
wow,
So manual mode would be the way to go?
Old 31st of October 2007 (Wed)   #5
dodorouthier

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcha27 View Post
You may be better asking "non-pro's" I shoot pro basketball but the lighting is always reasonably good. I shoot womens too and get some dark gyms though. I don't have an 85 f/1.8 as yet, I always use the 70-200 f/2.8. I'm not sure if my advice will help too much as I also use a 400D and can shoot at ISO1600 without too much noise. I do always shoot in full manual though. If you think I may be able to help just ask or pm me.
Saw your gallery, nice work!
how do yoou decide on your metering mode?
Old 31st of October 2007 (Wed)   #6
n1as
Goldmember

Well, I'm no pro, but here's how I shot basketball with my Nikon D40.

M mode. 50mm f/1.8 lens set to f/2.0 ISO set to 1600. Shutter worked out to 1/320. Did custom ISO balance using a piece of paper I carry in the camera bag.

On the D40, the 50mm lens was manual focus so I did what I did years ago; prefocus and let the action come to you.

I'd focus on the basketball net and wait for the kids to run into my zone.

I also worked on panning to follow the player's face when I shot. At ss speeds of 1/320, 1/250, 1/125, there is enough blurring that you have to pan or you'll end up with blurry subjects.

This year, I have the Canon 40D with both 50 f1.8 and 85 f/1.8 lenses. I've optically tested the lenses and quickly found the 50 is very soft at 1.8 and 2 but sharpens up nicely at f/2.8. I plan to use the 85 f/1.8 for most of my shooting with some 50mm work for close under basket stuff.

- Keith -

From last year, Nikon D40, 50mm f/1.8 1/320 s f/2.0 ISO 1600
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n_BBall2.jpg (51.0 KB, 114 views)
n1as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of October 2007 (Wed)   #7
butcha27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodorouthier View Post
Saw your gallery, nice work!
how do yoou decide on your metering mode?
Firstly thanks for the kind words

I'd usually use normal evalutate for basketball I don't find that it'll make a lot of difference. I'm shooting in full manual and know the speed I can get at the gyms I go to. Centre weighted is usually for more backlit subjects. The metering mode may play a much larger role if you're shooting in AV mode though.
butcha27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of October 2007 (Wed)   #8
dodorouthier

thanks for the info!