Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 18 Aug 2004 (Wednesday) 19:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Building a G-Series Infrared Camera

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Aug 18, 2004 19:46 |  #1

I posted this message in "Talk about Photography" and only today realized it was better placed in this forum, which I seldom visit... so here it is...

Some of you may know that I'm shooting infrared with a modified Canon G1 which has had its hot mirror (internal infrared cut filter) replaced by clear glass, producing a camera capable of normal shutter speeds with either a Hoya R72 or B+W 093 infrared filter.

Since I began posting photos from this camera on my website, I've had several people write and ask about modifying their own cameras.

Thanks to the technical knowledge and generosity of Tony Kaplan, the man who did my modifications, plus my own undeniable skill in creating a simple HTML file, the secret to converting your G-series camera is now online at www.kleptography.com/n​otes-irconvert.htm (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.kleptography.com/irconvert/13.jpg

Cheers,

Don

www.kleptography.com (external link)
Above photo by Tony Kaplan

sponsored links
Ballen ­ Photo
19,481 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Aug 18, 2004 22:18 |  #2

Don Ellis wrote:
Thanks to the technical knowledge and generosity of Tony Kaplan, the man who did my modifications, plus my own undeniable skill in creating a simple HTML file, the secret to converting your G-series camera is now online at www.kleptography.com/n​otes-irconvert.htm

Cheers,
Don
www.kleptography.comexternal link

A very interesting and well done article Don, Thanks for posting this.
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 18, 2004 22:27 |  #3

Excellent info Don,

I just made this thread "sticky" and would encourage this to be the new home of -G- series infra red shooting info and tips if anyone has any to share...?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Aug 18, 2004 22:49 |  #4

Ballen Photo wrote:
A very interesting and well done article Don, Thanks for posting this.
-Bruce

Hi Bruce... it's a pleasure... I hope it's helpful (I guess we'll know with a little future feedback). Don

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Aug 18, 2004 23:06 |  #5

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
Excellent info Don,

I just made this thread "sticky" and would encourage this to be the new home of -G- series infra red shooting info and tips if anyone has any to share...?

Hi CDS,

That's kind... I hope someone finds it useful. Those who like infrared photography tend to be a little fanatical and this tutorial may help them reach another level of ease and performance.

As for tips, I'll start off with my best one:

The secret to escaping the magenta plague (which is interesting for only the first dozen shots and only infrequently thereafter) is to stop shooting in JPG.

1. Shoot RAW on P mode with AUTO white balance.
2. Convert to TIF in BreezeBrowser (for instance) using a CUSTOM white balance -- which is as simple as clicking the eyedropper in BB's preview screeen on anything that is a medium to dark gray (it really matters very little).

Using an unmodified G1 with a Hoya R72, you will often get localized pastel-green hues on foliage that are quite pleasing.

IMAGE: http://www.kleptography.com/images-ir72/yachtcar/crw_1975.jpg

But in any case you will be rid of the pinks and magentas and oranges.

Cheers,

Don

Conk
Goldmember
3,368 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Cloverdale B.C.
Oct 01, 2004 10:23 |  #6

Would it be worth my while to find a used G1 and modify it or just use my D-Rebel for IR photography?

Cloverdale Photographyexternal link
Photosexternal link
More Photosexternal link

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Oct 13, 2004 08:23 |  #7

Conk wrote:
Would it be worth my while to find a used G1 and modify it or just use my D-Rebel for IR photography?

Hi Colin,

What a late reply... sorry, buddy. Next time if you're on the verge of a purchasing decision, just send me a personal message.

I don't know how sensitive the D-Rebel is but I would think that it's not as sensitive as a G1... and even if it comes close, it's never going to be as sensitive as a modified G1, so that's what I would do.

On a technical note, your photos from the modified G1, especially with the B+W 093 true infrared filter, will be virtually black-and-white, so you won't have the opportunity to do any fancy channel swapping to create colorized infrared photos if that's something you long for (I don't).

There may be a tinge of color with the modified G1 and a Hoya R72 but, again, not enough to play with for any sort of dramatic colorized picture.

At first, I was disappointed when I modified my G1 and found no color, but that lasted about 20 minutes as I began to appreciate the benefits of not only handheld but high-speed infrared photography.

When I purchased another G1, I thought I would leave it alone and use it with an R72 to regain those colors. But after a day of tripod shooting, I sent that one off for modification and have never been sorry. In bright sunlight, even with the stronger 093 filter, you can expect shutter speeds up to 1/500th of a second.

So there's one man's opinion. :D

Let me know how you get on.

Don

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Oct 19, 2004 21:13 |  #8

The Glass Sandwich

One of the people who actually read the IR conversion instructions wrote to offer an alternative idea for the replacement clear-glass filter -- microscope slides.

They're easier to find and cut, so you might want to consider them over a single piece of tiny glass. I've added Hiroyuki Yoneshima's comments at the end of the conversion page, along with a picture of our Hiro on Half Dome.

http://www.kleptograph​y.com/notes-irconvert.htmexternal link

Cheers,

Don

Zero
73 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Toronto, Canada
Jul 06, 2005 11:41 |  #9

G6 and Infrared

Oh boy!
am I an excited person now! I've been shooting IR (film) starting a few years back but recently aquired the G6 and have been having lots of fun. I was incredibly disappointed by the colour results, and thought perhaps it was an issue of the G6. As soon as I read your post Don, about shooting it in RAW so I promptly turned around (at work), stuck the R72 on and did a test shot.

It still looks brilliant orange, but I hope that will change when I get it back home. I use Photoshop7 though, and am not sure how to make those changes. I will play around and hope.

I've found that I can squeeze out shots that are fairly good at F2 and as fast as 1/15 seconds - ISO 50. As I have just got the camera a short time ago, and only bought the R72 a few weeks later, I haven't had much time to play with it. One day I hope to convert over an older G3 to IR... when they are cheap-cheap in about 4 yrs. ;)

Don, after joining here I found your website and have found it very inspirational. Thanks for all your hard work.:D

dkord
715 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Washington, USA
Jul 14, 2005 02:17 |  #10

Thank you for all the info Don, but I really do not trust my skills to do this. Is there anyone that will perform the conversion? Been thinking about calling the local repair shop.
I played with a R72 filter with my G3 and the focus seems alright, but when I used the 20D it had a harder time. Do I need to manual focus, and if I do do I need to back off a little for IR?

The devil is in the details...Especially at 100% crop!

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/eosdawg/external link

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jul 15, 2005 03:14 as a reply to Zero's post |  #11

Zero wrote:
As soon as I read your post Don, about shooting it in RAW so I promptly turned around (at work), stuck the R72 on and did a test shot.

It still looks brilliant orange, but I hope that will change when I get it back home. I use Photoshop7 though, and am not sure how to make those changes. I will play around and hope.

One day I hope to convert over an older G3 to IR... when they are cheap-cheap in about 4 yrs. ;)

Don, after joining here I found your website and have found it very inspirational. Thanks for all your hard work.:D

Hi Zero,

Sorry for the delay... this sticky thread got lost when Pekka moved to new forum software and CDS was obviously kind enough to go find it and stick it again. Unfortunately, my "email" request for new messages was no longer there and I simply tripped over this today.

Photoshop 7 is fine... it's BreezeBrowser that you use the "custom white balance" technique to get rid of the pink, magenta or orange color. When the RAW image comes up in BreezeBrowser (Ctrl-K), just click your cursor on something that's medium or dark gray and take a look at the results. Play around a bit and try different areas to see the effect. When you see what you like, covert the image to 8-bit or 16-bit TIF (8-bit only for G1 users).

If you really want a converted camera, you might consider buying a G1 for the cost factor.

And you're quite welcome... glad you found my website and enjoyed it.

Good luck.

Don

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jul 15, 2005 03:17 as a reply to dkord's post |  #12

dkord wrote:
Thank you for all the info Don, but I really do not trust my skills to do this. Is there anyone that will perform the conversion? Been thinking about calling the local repair shop.

I played with a R72 filter with my G3 and the focus seems alright, but when I used the 20D it had a harder time. Do I need to manual focus, and if I do do I need to back off a little for IR?

Hi,

I'm sure there are people who will rip your camera apart. :D It's the putting it back together properly and checking it to make sure it focuses properly THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE ZOOM RANGE. It definitely needs to be tested before it's returned to you and this is the first test you'll want to perform yourself.

Unfortunately, the man who did my conversion and several others no longer wants to do them, so I haven't got someone to recommend.

I'm sorry that I can't help you with the 20D question. I use auto-focus only on the G1, but it sounds like you're having problems with the 20D. Perhaps someone can jump in here and suggest something.

Good luck.

Don

dkord
715 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Washington, USA
Jul 15, 2005 12:44 |  #13

Don, thank you for the information. I haven't played with the 20D and IR long enough, so it's probably user error.
I have a friend who said he can take it apart and put it together, I just need to get the glass :) I do trust his compentancy :)
Thanks for commenting on testing the focus at all ranges, I probably would of gloss over that.

The devil is in the details...Especially at 100% crop!

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/eosdawg/external link

mknabster
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Limerick, PA, USA
Aug 24, 2005 11:58 |  #14

Hey Don, I have a question about taking infrared shots. Is there a certain filter I can get for my G6 that can help create an infrared shot? I am so captivated by these that I want to take some of my own. Or is there a way in Photoshop Elemetns to change a picture to make it look like one?

- Matt

MK Studiosexternal link
My Gear

HungryWriter
316 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Los Angeles
Aug 24, 2005 12:05 as a reply to mknabster's post |  #15

mknabster wrote:
Hey Don, I have a question about taking infrared shots. Is there a certain filter I can get for my G6 that can help create an infrared shot? I am so captivated by these that I want to take some of my own. Or is there a way in Photoshop Elemetns to change a picture to make it look like one?

You can try the Hoya Infrared filter found at www.lensmateonline.comexternal link

It's more for the G1.

You can also try some post processing using Photoshop. Here's an action you can use: http://www.nickgallery​.com/web_pages/technic​al%207.htmexternal link

[Canon SX200IS] [Canon SX170IS] * [Canon Rebel EOS T1i] [Canon Speedlite 420EX] [EF 35mm f/2.0] [EF 50mm f/1.4 USM] [EF 85mm f/1.8 USM] [EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens] [EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens] [Giottos MTL Tripod]
*Visit my DadWithAPen Blog (external link)*

sponsored links

135,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
Building a G-Series Infrared Camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.