Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of November 2007 (Tue)   #1
MrKickalot

Default HS Basketball Portraits Poses?

I have a shoot tomorrow for the girls High School Basketball team. This is my first BB Team and I need some ideas of good poses. I've been so busy this job has creep up on me and I haven't had time to look for good examples.

Thanks for your help!

Jason
MrKickalot is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of November 2007 (Tue)   #2
jsanz11

Default Re: HS Basketball Portraits Poses?

I don't have any examples with me to show but i usually stand them at mid court with the ball in one hand and their other hand behind their back forming a V with their arm kind of like a superman stance...Kind of gives them that tough stance since most highschool boys don't want to smile for their picture.
-Joey
WWW.JSPHOTOSTUDIO.COM
jsanz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2007 (Tue)   #3
dshootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanz11 View Post
most highschool boys don't want to smile for their picture.
...but these are girls...

If you're looking for the 3/4 shot, you can have them stand at an angle to the camera with the ball on the near side hip. Centers can have the ball just above the waist with both hands on either side. If you're feeling ambitious (and depending on your lighting capabilities) you can get them to start at the top of the key and drive left or right (depending on which is their preferred route) and grab an "action" shot in the lane. Another possibility is for the player to "curl" the ball on the shoulder farthest from the lens. This usually works better for a close up or head shot. Good luck! Here's a link to my examples (sorry, no girls' sports yet).

http://www.splitpixeldesign.com/
dshootist is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of November 2007 (Tue)   #4
CatchingUp

I did a set where I brought a ladder in..set it up under the goal and had the girls palm the ball on the rim like they might be dunking it; or against the backboard. I was on a ladder myself and shot from like the waist up. They came out nice.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."
CatchingUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of November 2007 (Tue)   #5
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

Depends on what each girl likes but as a group my team hated the shots like that when we did them last year (I was coaching, not shooting). The guy did them a bit differently than like they were dunking, since girls don't dunk. He had them hold the ball by there chin and he shot from the rim area on a ladder looking down at them on the court. The kids complained non-stop and then so did the parents asking me to re-shoot (they bought pics the year before from me).

Best rule, KISS - Keep it simple stupid. These are old and not great, but I gave them the option of what they wanted to do (how to pose) after giving them a few options.

Last edited by MJPhotos24 : 13th of November 2007 (Tue) at 18:38.
MJPhotos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of November 2007 (Wed)   #6
NVcameraman

The poses you have shown could be improved by not shooting "square" to the camera. It is best, especially with girls, that the body is turned 30-45degrees as this will "thin" the size that is presented to the camera and not make them look fatter than they really are. Shots #3, #4, #5 watch the ball orientation so it is not upside down or crooked. Also with girls if they kneel (#3 + #4) dont have them squat back on their leg as it will make thigh bulg and make it also look fat. have them kneel more on top of the knee with legs forming a 45 degree angle. When I am shooting girls sports I give girls options of STAND, KNEEL, SIT, or LAY. The STANDING shot is either full body or 3/4 cut at the thigh and player turned so the ball is on back hip. KNEEL is basically like above (but not squatting back). SITTING one that is popular is to sit either 45 or 90 from camera with leg closest to camera straight and other leg bent with knee up and elbow on to of knee and elbow of other arm on ball at their side. LAYING one that is also popular with the girls is to be on stomach facing camera at about 45 degrees with legs bent at knee with ball resting on feet or between feet that are crossed. Also can have ball in hands like in the shot #2
Old 14th of November 2007 (Wed)   #7
montanafan

I agree with what NVcameraman has said. Girls aren't so much interested in looking athletic in their photos as looking good. Avoid any kind of pose that will make any part of their body look bigger, like their thighs when they're kneeling. Shoot at a slight angle. You'll find that most girls like the last two poses that NVcameraman described. In the last pose he described though, if the girl has a rather large behind it will be noticeable. I would persuade her to go with the sitting pose instead, without going into any details about why, of course.

Last edited by montanafan : 14th of November 2007 (Wed) at 01:55.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of November 2007 (Wed)   #8
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop

Like I said if you missed it, these are old and not great just showing quick examples of something to work from - I think this may have been my first "shoot" with a youth team since we got towards the end of the season and no school photographer showed up. For basketball it was also probaly my last, the school photog showed up the next year (and that's where I got the complaints about the stupid poses). This group was the best I've ever coached, in terms of they really couldn't care about the photos and would have rather spent the time practicing (I wish I could clone them!!)

poses shown could be improved by not shooting "square" to the camera.
Yup, I do that more now - however, it does depend on the persons build, not every straight on photo will make a person look "fat".

ball orientation
Definately, do that now.

#3/4
That's what they wanted, I suggested more upright and they didn't want it. They got to check out the results in camera, #3 re-did hers to get it like that - she wanted relaxed sitting back. #4, well just wanted to drop some 3's and get on with practice and could care less.

Right now my main ones are...
Stand, Sit, Kneel, Lay...(like most).

Standing, full body in soccer (because they have the foot on the ball). Basketball however would crop it more to the upper body, with her just standing there it does nothing to add to it by keeping in the legs.

Sitting, there's a few ways to do it...I've shown a girl an example and she does her own little twist that looks good so don't make her change.

Kneel, usually is the same thing with them upright, hand on ball on the ground - but again some girls change it up a bit and it looks good so don't MAKE them do the "sample" picture I showed them exactly. #3 wanted to sit back, and if you're telling me she looks fat cuz of it, you're insane. I would have rather had that at an angle looking back.

Laying, well there's a couple that can be done with laying. Laying on the side or laying on the stomach. The day you see me asking a girl to put a b-ball on her feet is the day I quit. A soccer ball on the feet, maybe - it makes more sense. The photog made one of my teams do this before and when they got there photos back I never heard so many darn complaints (basketball). A b-ball on the feet is a violation anyways, my teams are to disciplined to do that kinda thing! :P

Coaching 16 seasons in 5 sports having school photographers come in you get to learn quickly what the players don't want...and of course teams differ. I've had teams that cared more about looking good, others that really just wanted to get them done and could care less. Either way when they get them back they always critique them, so best to give them options and let them adjust as they want. I found out the school doesn't have a photog this year, so will be doing b-ball shots soon to update these too better shots. Don't think I've shot b-ball since these actually.
MJPhotos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of November 2007 (Thu)   #9
dshootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKickalot View Post
I have a shoot tomorrow for the girls High School Basketball team.
So, how did it go? Can you post your results?
dshootist is offline   Reply With Quote