Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of November 2007 (Sat)   #1
EnronRocks

Default A little pre Basketball Season

So this is a little pre-game "warm up" the local basketball team has, Junior Varsity against Varsity. So, I snapped a few shots.

EnronRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of November 2007 (Sat)   #2
Mike R
Goldmember

Default Re: A little pre Basketball Season

I like all except for the lighting in the last one. What lens did you use?
Old 17th of November 2007 (Sat)   #3
trj911

Nice work. Were you using the 702-200 2.8? If so, how do you like it for bball?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of November 2007 (Sat)   #4
EnronRocks

I am using my Canon 70-200 2.8L. The problem with the gym I was shooting in was that the light was horrid to start off with and some of the lights themselves stopped working during the game. The bulbs went out or something. Over Christmas break they are having a crew come in and replace all the lights with new fixtures. Which helps me out a lot.
Old 17th of November 2007 (Sat)   #5
digitalphz

Great shots...i have been shooting outdoor sports and have been asked to start shooting basketball. Can you help me with some settings? I played with various settings at a football game late yesterday afternoon, but the lighting in a gym is going to be very different. I have a Canon 30d and a Rebel xT with an assortment of lenses...I am a little freaked because the first game is this coming Monday, the 19th. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

phz
Old 17th of November 2007 (Sat)   #6
EnronRocks

I have my camera set on AV with 1600 ISO and Auto White Balance.
Old 17th of November 2007 (Sat)   #7
alteredimensions

I shot a few of my sisters games today, 3rd grade so nothing too terribly important, and was shooting with a 20D+70-200 f2.8. Love this lens for sports! I was shooting in full manual and ISO800 using a flash, the gym was fairly dark, and using -2/3 flash compensation. I am going to take the plunge and buy noise ninja, due to the excessive amounts of noise the 20D makes at anything over ISO800.
Old 17th of November 2007 (Sat)   #8
Mike R
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredimensions View Post
I shot a few of my sisters games today, 3rd grade so nothing too terribly important, and was shooting with a 20D+70-200 f2.8. Love this lens for sports! I was shooting in full manual and ISO800 using a flash, the gym was fairly dark, and using -2/3 flash compensation. I am going to take the plunge and buy noise ninja, due to the excessive amounts of noise the 20D makes at anything over ISO800.
They are to your sister and parents.

It's a great sports lens. I would be lsot without mine and a 1.4TC for daytime outdoor sports.
Old 18th of November 2007 (Sun)   #9
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredimensions View Post
don't ask why I'm up at this hour but I wanted to say that you won't regret getting NN. Here's a few using a 30D and 70-200 f2.8 I have to be honest and say I don't get why folks shoot AV mode for indoor prep sports. Rarely is the lighting good enough that you are battling anything but getting the fastest ss at whatever ISO and ap you max out at. At least that's been my experience. If you like the flashed look or use strobes, it's a whole different game but for me I don't so it's 3200ISO and wide open at 2.8. I managed decent speeds today (around 1/500) and here's how a few turned out with just some modest NN added:

Girls Rec Hoops:

7th Grade Boys (different gym, also missing lights in spots)

Finally, Varsity Football, outdoors Ninja'ing...

and tight

sorry for the thread hijacking but it seemed relevant to post the shots of what Noise Ninja can do for your sports shots when lighting is weak. Don't be afraid to jack the ISO and get a few more clicks of shutter speed. NN in post workflow really makes them usable. The only caution I'd give is to not go overboard with it. It's easy to get really creamy images with little detail left. Hijack over, good luck to all of ya shooting lower level indoor sports this winter, it's sure not easy, but still very rewarding when parents get all sappy....
namasste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2007 (Sun)   #10
EnronRocks

I just bought a copy of noise ninja.....
Old 18th of November 2007 (Sun)   #11
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnronRocks View Post
I just bought a copy of noise ninja.....
lol, after reading my reply or you were one mouse click away already? either way, you'll love what it can do for your high ISO shots and feeling comfortable shooting 3200 is awesome since it affords you a lot more flexibility in ss.
namasste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2007 (Sun)   #12
EnronRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by namasste View Post
lol, after reading my reply or you were one mouse click away already? either way, you'll love what it can do for your high ISO shots and feeling comfortable shooting 3200 is awesome since it affords you a lot more flexibility in ss.
I like it, I got the bundle and have already used it on a few images. Its pretty hardcore.
Old 18th of November 2007 (Sun)   #13
montanafan

Nice job, EnronRocks. I haven't tried Noise Ninja, but I'm sure it'll come in very handy during basketball season. I use Neat Image and love it for my ISO 1600 shots.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2007 (Sun)   #14
EnronRocks

Well, I plan on upgrading to a 30D within the next few months, maybe even a 40D. So, I will get clearer pictures (hopefully) at 1600 ISO. I know a fellow photographer who hardly ever uses 3200 ISO at local sports events around here just because the lighting isn't incredibly horrible. That gym has the worst lights in our area. They are getting replaced too. Most football fields have amazing lights, so thats not a problem either. As for baseball, this area THRIVES on baseball, so they have magnificent lights. I don't see myself using 3200 ISO anytime soon if I get it.
Old 18th of November 2007 (Sun)   #15
RonnieA

f/2.8 isn't fast enough to cover indoor high school sports in my neck of the hardwoods. That's why I purchased the 50 1.8 ($70) and 85 1.8 ($350).

Noise Ninja is great, but use it judiciously, or else you'll get the plastic look.

Enron, try shooting full manual next time out instead of aperture priority. This will give you a consistent shutter speed. In the pic of the guy at the free throw line, the shutter speed was 1/125.

RonnieA is offline   Reply With Quote