How do I calibrate monitor without a calibration tool?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 17 Nov 2007 (Saturday) 06:18   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

bphillips330
Joined Oct 2006
622 posts
ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to "profile" my monitor to get it as accurate as possible without one of those tools. It is not in my budget right now to purchase the device that you put on the monitor to calibrate it. I have done some editing and when i send it to costco it is hit and miss what I wanted.

I know that could be as costco is not a Pro Lab but i have had very good luck with snapshots. There are some pictures i would like to blow up, and if I am going to spend that money, i want it to be as close as possible.

How do some of the Pro labs (mpix, or whatever you recommend) do on color correcting.

last question. Which calibration device is the most recommended for the least amount of money. I know that is hard to do. But on a budget, what do people recommend.

Thanks

Post #1, Nov 17, 2007 06:18:36

Body : 50D and 400/xti + grip
Lenses: 50mm 1.8 II / Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 / kit len /
70-200 f2.8L IS!!!! / Canon 1.4 TC II / Sigma 70-300mm dl Macro super
Flash: 580 exII
A whole bunch of other goodies.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Doogiekr
Joined Nov 2007
298 posts
Spain, for the moment.
[MORE/SHARE]

I am by no means an expert, but I like my Huey Pro. It really helped me to get my colors to match from screen to printer, and its only $110 or so from B and H. Im still fighting some with black and white tones, but for colors it was a drastic help.

As far as calibrating without it, I am not sure. I found mine was pretty far off before I got the Huey, so obviously I did not do a good job without it.

Post #2, Nov 17, 2007 06:25:33

~Doogie
"From the very core of our being, we simply desire contentment." - 14th Dalai Lama

My Gear

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

It depends on what type of monitor you have. If you have a CRT then you can use Adobe Gamma to do some very basic calibration. But since CRT are no longer being manufactured Adobe has stopped including Gamma in its most recent software packages so you'd need to get it from some other source.

If you have a LCD/TFT (flat panel) monitor then you need a calibration device since most TFT monitors only allow you to adjust brightness. Adobe Gamma does not work with LCD/TFT monitors.

Post #3, Nov 17, 2007 07:40:13

Gear List

bphillips330
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2006
622 posts
ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #4331935external link
It depends on what type of monitor you have. If you have a CRT then you can use Adobe Gamma to do some very basic calibration. But since CRT are no longer being manufactured Adobe has stopped including Gamma in its most recent software packages so you'd need to get it from some other source.

If you have a LCD/TFT (flat panel) monitor then you need a calibration device since most TFT monitors only allow you to adjust brightness. Adobe Gamma does not work with LCD/TFT monitors.

I have a 20" crt display. Does the calibration device save some sort of profile that will load each time the computer loads up?

Post #4, Nov 17, 2007 08:44:03

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, the device will save a profile that is loaded by the operating system each time it boots up.

Now depending on the age of your monitor a calibration device might not work. Most CRT monitors have a useful life of 4-5 years and if its older it might be too out of spec to be corrected by calibration.

Post #5, Nov 17, 2007 10:36:01

Gear List

sponsored links
bphillips330
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2006
622 posts
ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

So if my monitor is 5 years old or so, is it not worth me trying to calibrate it. I guess it might help alittle to try and get as close as possible.

Post #6, Nov 17, 2007 16:54:24

snowyowl13
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
2,775 posts
Prince Edward Island, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #4331935external link

I wasn't aware of this. I suppose then that I should uninstall Adobe Gamma and just use Naturalcolour (Samsung's program supplied with the monitor) to calibrate my monitor. i can't really afford Spyder right now.

Post #7, Nov 18, 2007 07:35:12

Dan
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Canon 20D:18-55mm EF-S, 75-300mm EF, Sigma F4-5.6 DG Macro 70-300mm APO, Canon 100-400 mm F4.5-F5.6 L IS USM
http://snowyowl.smugmu​g.com/Natureexternal link

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

Most calibration devices sit neglected for long periods (in my case it's 3 weeks between calibrations). Why not ask around locally? Someone must have one you can borrow!

Thats probably one useful reason for joining a local photo group.

While the manufacturer would probably tell you that its not allowed according to the licence, they are never going to a) find out OR b) bother to do anything about it if they do.

Richard

Post #8, Nov 18, 2007 08:48:02 as a reply to snowyowl13's post 1 hour earlier.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

snowyowl13
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
2,775 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Good thought. Well worth follow-up.

Post #9, Nov 18, 2007 10:29:09

Dan
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Canon 20D:18-55mm EF-S, 75-300mm EF, Sigma F4-5.6 DG Macro 70-300mm APO, Canon 100-400 mm F4.5-F5.6 L IS USM

sandro9mm
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,718 posts
Italy, Milan
[MORE/SHARE]

hi sorry for the off-topic, do laptop computers need calibration?

Post #10, Nov 18, 2007 11:41:58

Photography Tipsexternal link - Learn photography now!
Famous photographersexternal link - Video Interviews, photos, biography
My gearexternal link

sandro9mm
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,718 posts
Italy, Milan
[MORE/SHARE]

OP check this website: http://www.normankoren​.com ...neprints1A.html#Tes​tPrintexternal link

this is technique of calibrating without tools :) looks pretty good

Post #11, Nov 18, 2007 11:46:24

Photography Tipsexternal link - Learn photography now!
Famous photographersexternal link - Video Interviews, photos, biography
My gearexternal link

sponsored links
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

To the OP,

I can feel for you! Before I got a "device" I went through this, because I was just setting up my new laptop and at the time was trying to do things on-the-fly.

Fortunately, I had both a good photo printer and a nearby store (Walgreens) that has a good printer, the Fuji Frontier, so: I made two or three rounds of: print a set of photos on my printer and print the same set at Walgreens, plus put them out on the Web, then make adjustments to my monitor, repeat the process...

Of course, the time and printing costs add up to asking yourself "why didn't I just get the dang calibration set?" but when you're just getting started you do what you must!

I printed pics out on my own printer as well as Walgreens 'cause I wanted to make sure that I was getting the same results from each as well as "good enough" on the Web.

Post #12, Nov 18, 2007 23:48:54

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

sandro9mm wrote in post #4338856external link
hi sorry for the off-topic, do laptop computers need calibration?

Yes, off course.
Even calibrated, laptop screens will be marginal mostly.

Post #13, Nov 19, 2007 07:03:15

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

snowyowl13
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
2,775 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

snowyowl13 wrote in post #4337851external link
I wasn't aware of this. I suppose then that I should uninstall Adobe Gamma and just use Naturalcolour (Samsung's program supplied with the monitor) to calibrate my monitor. i can't really afford Spyder right now.

Nobody answered this. Should I uninstall Adobe Gamma or does it matter?

Post #14, Nov 19, 2007 08:03:37

Dan

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
5,545 posts
Racine, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

At mininum you should remove it from your Startup folder so it doesn't lauch by default at every reboot.

snowyowl13 wrote in post #4344333external link
Nobody answered this. Should I uninstall Adobe Gamma or does it matter?

Post #15, Nov 19, 2007 08:54:26

Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I calibrate monitor without a calibration tool?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES