Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of August 2002 (Thu)   #1
tompegbel

Default how to resize photos

This may been covered but I can't find any info, appreciate any guidance you could offer. I'm new to digital photography. I'm using the Canon S30 and downloading photos to my PC with Zoombrowser EX. Typically I've been shooting at L resolution and Normal compression so the files are large. However when I want to send them by e-mail most of the recipients would prefer a smaller attachment. How do I resize the file for a smaller photo after it's in JPEG?
tompegbel is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of August 2002 (Thu)   #2
slejhamer

Default Re: how to resize photos

What photo editing software do you have? (Zoombrowser can edit, but you don't really want to use it for that)

If you don't have any editing software, try the free Irfanview viewer at www.irfanview.com. It is a small program with tremendous functionality. Install it, open your image with the viewer, and select Image - Resize/Resample. Try 640x480 at 72 dpi for the settings - this should be easy to email and resolution will be decent on a monitor. You can go smaller if necessary.

Good luck,
Old 1st of August 2002 (Thu)   #3
Mike K

Zoombrowser actually has a fairly easy to use dialoge for downsizing and compressing images for email. after selecting an image either right click then select "Send Images by Email" or find the same command under the top tool bar "Internet". After selecting the size and compression rate, it shows you a preview to assess the result and calculates the final file size. Shoot for a files size of something on the order of 100kb or so, more image detail (like leaves) results in larger JPEG files.
This article explains the confusing issue of resolution and provides some guidance if you are using any version of photoshop.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...solution.shtml
The only downside is that ZB does not do any real editing; adding selective color changes and all digital images could use some sharpening (edge contrast). You should consider a real editing program for this function. The newest version of photoshop for photographers, Elements II, should be released in a few weeks and would be one good choice for an editing program.
Mike K
Old 20th of August 2002 (Tue)   #4
tompegbel

Thanks for the replies...it was very insightful. One more question (now that you have me thinking about image editing software)...in regards to PhotoShop Elements...is one able to use the RAW format for image editing with this software or does the photo need to be converted to TIFF or does PSE handle all, i.e. JPG,TIFF and RAW?
Old 20th of August 2002 (Tue)   #5
Mike K

General image editing programs such as PS Elements requires that the proprietary Canon RAW format be converted to JPEG or TIFF for editing. You can use the supplied Canon conversion software or the dialoge embedded into Zoombrowser, its the same code. Alternative programs such as Breezebrowser, Yarc, Scott Professional, etc. are also available for RAW conversion, and add other features.
Mike K
Old 29th of August 2002 (Thu)   #6
tompegbel

Default Re: how to resize and print my photos

Let me continue this post to the next question although I'm not sure how to ask this question but here goes...is it advantageous (in regards to printing photos on my Canon 820) to use PhotoShop Elements as just an editing program and keep either ZoomBrowser or BreezeBrowser as the basic photo manager for organization and printing? I realize there are probably many approaches here but I'm looking for how to best handle my photos as I accummulate more and more.
Old 29th of August 2002 (Thu)   #7
ken-w

Default Re: Re: how to resize and print my photos

Quote:
tompegbel wrote:
organization and printing? I realize there are probably many approaches here but I'm looking for how to best handle my photos as I accummulate more and more.
You'll probably end up with several programs in your digital photographic arsenal. You'll eventually want to create a "workflow", a method of taking the photos from the camera, archiving them and working with them.

Keep in mind that your original photos are your negatives - once you've made an initial editing selection (i.e. keeping the ones you want) you'll want to make sure your photos are stored safely and easily accessible for future use. My own workflow goes something like this:

1) shoot the photos (at the highest resolution the camera will allow).
2) dump them to the computer (Zoombrowser in my case - although I also use Breezebrowser ( www.breezesys.com ) for other things).
3) make an initial selection of "keepers" (before deleting from camera's memory card or microdrive)
4) mark these files as "read-only" and make a copy to a CD-RW before deleting the files on the CF card or microdrive
5) When I have some logical groups organized (ie. summer vacation 2002, my trip to the zoo, etc.) I then burn two CDs with these original photos. I store one CD in the house and one offsite (in case the house burns down or my computer (and CDs) get stolen).
6) Make contact sheets of the images on the CD. These are just image files with small thumbnails of your photos. I use a program called ThumbsPlus ( www.cerious.com ) for this. My contact sheets are 1240 x 940 (just slightly smaller than my screen size) and I get 40 very viewyable photos per sheet.

When I want to retrieve a photo, I just scan through my contact sheets to find the image I want - pop in the CD that the contact sheet refers to and load it into my favourite image editing software. Programs such as ThumbsPlus also have powerful database capabilities, but I don't make use of these (too much work ) I can quickly scan through several thousand photos on my contact sheets to find the photo I want.

This is a workflow for my original photos (my negatives). I use a similar flow for edited photos (i.e. print ready photos).

There are more tools coming on the market to help with organization (my method is a "low tech" variation). Some software such as iMatch ( www.photools.com ) is specifically designed to organize digital photo collections.

The secret is really just keeping logical groupings, archiving your originals and edited photos to CD, and using a retrieval system that you are comfortable with and one that works for you.
ken-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of February 2003 (Fri)   #8
fleliard

Default Re: Re: Re: how to resize and print my photos

very simply put, use a ACDsee 3.......;
and you have all these features...

Frank Leliard Belgium

Quote:
ken-w wrote:
Quote:
tompegbel wrote:
organization and printing? I realize there are probably many approaches here but I'm looking for how to best handle my photos as I accummulate more and more.
You'll probably end up with several programs in your digital photographic arsenal. You'll eventually want to create a "workflow", a method of taking the photos from the camera, archiving them and working with them.

Keep in mind that your original photos are your negatives - once you've made an initial editing selection (i.e. keeping the ones you want) you'll want to make sure your photos are stored safely and easily accessible for future use. My own workflow goes something like this:

1) shoot the photos (at the highest resolution the camera will allow).
2) dump them to the computer (Zoombrowser in my case - although I also use Breezebrowser ( www.breezesys.com ) for other things).
3) make an initial selection of "keepers" (before deleting from camera's memory card or microdrive)
4) mark these files as "read-only" and make a copy to a CD-RW before deleting the files on the CF card or microdrive
5) When I have some logical groups organized (ie. summer vacation 2002, my trip to the zoo, etc.) I then burn two CDs with these original photos. I store one CD in the house and one offsite (in case the house burns down or my computer (and CDs) get stolen).
6) Make contact sheets of the images on the CD. These are just image files with small thumbnails of your photos. I use a program called ThumbsPlus ( www.cerious.com ) for this. My contact sheets are 1240 x 940 (just slightly smaller than my screen size) and I get 40 very viewyable photos per sheet.

When I want to retrieve a photo, I just scan through my contact sheets to find the image I want - pop in the CD that the contact sheet refers to and load it into my favourite image editing software. Programs such as ThumbsPlus also have powerful database capabilities, but I don't make use of these (too much work ) I can quickly scan through several thousand photos on my contact sheets to find the photo I want.

This is a workflow for my original photos (my negatives). I use a similar flow for edited photos (i.e. print ready photos).

There are more tools coming on the market to help with organization (my method is a "low tech" variation). Some software such as iMatch ( www.photools.com ) is specifically designed to organize digital photo collections.

The secret is really just keeping logical groupings, archiving your originals and edited photos to CD, and using a retrieval system that you are comfortable with and one that works for you.
fleliard is offline   Reply With Quote