Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #61
shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 1,271
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village_Idiot View Post
Uno Vivitar 285HV over head and to the right, behind a white shoot through umbrella.

I over did the skin smooth a bit much on this one. I really like the pose though. This is one of my first attempts at shooting people in a "modeling" situation.
That's a nice shot V_I.
__________________
Randy
shooterman is offline  
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #62
e r y k
Goldmember
 
e r y k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,023
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

__________________
Canon EOS 5D // keepin' it old school

e r y k is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #63
swatcop169
Member
 
swatcop169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 710
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

For you guys that are using a single strobe. Can you give me some insight. I'm doing a calender shoot Friday night for a girl and I only have the one AB800 with the stock umbrellia. I was thinking about ordering two more AB400's with softboxes and a octabox for a hair light but not sure if that is going to be needed.

Different locations, etc will be used in making this calendar. One I know of is going to be in a garage with a Dodge Viper.
swatcop169 is offline  
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #64
e r y k
Goldmember
 
e r y k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,023
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

swat, i think whats more important is that you get a reflector. sure, more strobes would help, but you will be surprised how much a reflector will help plus, theyre really cheap!

is the shoot going to be taking place mostly indoors or outdoors?
__________________
Canon EOS 5D // keepin' it old school

e r y k is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #65
swatcop169
Member
 
swatcop169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 710
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by e r y k View Post
swat, i think whats more important is that you get a reflector. sure, more strobes would help, but you will be surprised how much a reflector will help plus, theyre really cheap!

is the shoot going to be taking place mostly indoors or outdoors?
Mostly indoors as its looking like its going to be either semi-nude or totally nude.

Can a reflector be made cheap or should I just order one? I've been looking at ordering some more strobes but haven't gotten around to it and I'm afraid it might be to late now.

Also, I have a Sigma SuperDG 500 flash that could be used I think, but not sure.
swatcop169 is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #66
sfaust
Goldmember
 
sfaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,297
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Reflectors and mirrors will give you a three light setup without the expense of buying more lights. The AB800 has more than enough power to handle the lighting for small full length sets.

The downside, is that is seems you are short on time. You'll need to make sure you have enough time to practice with the reflector and mirrors before the shoot. Of course, the same really goes for multi light setups as well.

Here is what I would do to make the AB800 work triple duty. I would get a full length diffuser panel, and a 2'x3' acrylic mirror (lighter than glass and safer). You can then aim the light through the diffuser as a large softbox, but at the same time allow some light to pass the panel toward the back of the set (spill light, or split lighting). Use the mirror to then redirect that light back onto the subject from the other side. Its the perfect intensity as a kicker light, and the light through the diffusion panel acts as a full length main. The difference is usually about a stop or so, which is perfect for the main/kicker lighting setup.

You can also use another silver or gold reflector to further add dimension on the subject using that spill light, from what ever angle you see fit or needs more fill. If you balance it all with ambient lighting, it will be a very nice overall lighting effect.

The other downside is that it will be difficult if you also need to light the car. The reflectivity of the cars surface will cause you lots of issues unless you are lucky, or shoot it outside with a nice overcast or late afternoon sky to create nice smooth tonality on the cars finish.

But for standard full length poses, this technique works really really well.
__________________
Stephen
Commercial Photography
My Photography Blog

sfaust is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #67
swatcop169
Member
 
swatcop169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 710
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaust View Post
Reflectors and mirrors will give you a three light setup without the expense of buying more lights. The AB800 has more than enough power to handle the lighting for small full length sets.

The downside, is that is seems you are short on time. You'll need to make sure you have enough time to practice with the reflector and mirrors before the shoot. Of course, the same really goes for multi light setups as well.

Here is what I would do to make the AB800 work triple duty. I would get a full length diffuser panel, and a 2'x3' acrylic mirror (lighter than glass and safer). You can then aim the light through the diffuser as a large softbox, but at the same time allow some light to pass the panel toward the back of the set (spill light, or split lighting). Use the mirror to then redirect that light back onto the subject from the other side. Its the perfect intensity as a kicker light, and the light through the diffusion panel acts as a full length main. The difference is usually about a stop or so, which is perfect for the main/kicker lighting setup.

You can also use another silver or gold reflector to further add dimension on the subject using that spill light, from what ever angle you see fit or needs more fill. If you balance it all with ambient lighting, it will be a very nice overall lighting effect.

The other downside is that it will be difficult if you also need to light the car. The reflectivity of the cars surface will cause you lots of issues unless you are lucky, or shoot it outside with a nice overcast or late afternoon sky to create nice smooth tonality on the cars finish.

But for standard full length poses, this technique works really really well.
Thanks for the reply. Great information here. Let say I were to just order some more lights. Whould this setup work?

I have already;
1. AB800 with standard umbrella

I would order;
2 AB400
2 10' stands
1. Boom Arm
1 35" octabox with LGSR
2 Medium Softboxes
1 AB Radio Flash Trigger
3 AB Radio Flash Receiver

That would give me 3 lights, two with softboxes on it, one with a octabox on it. Fire them all wirelesslly using the AB wireless setup.

Would also pickup a Sekonic light meter to help also.
swatcop169 is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #68
sfaust
Goldmember
 
sfaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,297
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Sure it would. Although you will still have some issues with the car shot, but overall its a capable setup if you know how to use it all. I would even forgo a soft box or the octabox in lieu of a reflector and a set of grids. Those would be more useful for adding kicker highlights, etc.
__________________
Stephen
Commercial Photography
My Photography Blog

sfaust is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #69
Kristy
Cream of the Crop
 
Kristy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: A dream world where nothing is what it seems.
Posts: 10,532
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatcop169 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Great information here. Let say I were to just order some more lights. Whould this setup work?

I have already;
1. AB800 with standard umbrella

I would order;
2 AB400
2 10' stands
1. Boom Arm
1 35" octabox with LGSR
2 Medium Softboxes
1 AB Radio Flash Trigger
3 AB Radio Flash Receiver

That would give me 3 lights, two with softboxes on it, one with a octabox on it. Fire them all wirelesslly using the AB wireless setup.

Would also pickup a Sekonic light meter to help also.
My 2-cents... get AB 800's instead of the 400's.... Your power will be a balanced set and much easier to work with ratios than trying to figure out the difference in output.. Plus you can be more creative with the 800's down the road...
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 580ex, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
www.ksnyderphoto.com
Kristy is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #70
swatcop169
Member
 
swatcop169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 710
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaust View Post
Sure it would. Although you will still have some issues with the car shot, but overall its a capable setup if you know how to use it all. I would even forgo a soft box or the octabox in lieu of a reflector and a set of grids. Those would be more useful for adding kicker highlights, etc.
I'm not so much worried about getting the entire car in the shot. Just where she will be, which will most likely be in the drivers seat.
swatcop169 is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #71
swatcop169
Member
 
swatcop169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 710
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
My 2-cents... get AB 800's instead of the 400's.... Your power will be a balanced set and much easier to work with ratios than trying to figure out the difference in output.. Plus you can be more creative with the 800's down the road...
Thanks Kristy. I would love to pickup two more AB800's, but I'm kinda tight on money at this point and the AB400's would have to do for now.
swatcop169 is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #72
sfaust
Goldmember
 
sfaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,297
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

If you are only lighting part of the car, there won't be an issue then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatcop169 View Post
Thanks Kristy. I would love to pickup two more AB800's, but I'm kinda tight on money at this point and the AB400's would have to do for now.
Actually, Kristy brings up a very good point. And in light of that, if you can't get two 800's, I would recommend just getting one 800 for now, and pick up the second one later on.

Two 800's would do fine for this shoot, and later you won't be selling the 400's at a loss and buying two 800s. So I would recommend 1 800, soft box, grid set, and a large silver and gold reflector. You'll have more than enough to pull this off.
__________________
Stephen
Commercial Photography
My Photography Blog

sfaust is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #73
swatcop169
Member
 
swatcop169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 710
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaust View Post
If you are only lighting part of the car, there won't be an issue then.



Actually, Kristy brings up a very good point. And in light of that, if you can't get two 800's, I would recommend just getting one 800 for now, and pick up the second one later on.

Two 800's would do fine for this shoot, and later you won't be selling the 400's at a loss and buying two 800s. So I would recommend 1 800, soft box, grid set, and a large silver and gold reflector. You'll have more than enough to pull this off.
Thanks you just seconded what someone else said. Two AB800's fitted with softboxes and maybe a 5 n 1 reflector should be more then plenty.
swatcop169 is offline  
Old 11th of December 2007 (Tue)   #74
kevindar
Goldmember
 
kevindar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: california
Posts: 4,975
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

first post here. Have been reading the lighting forum. So much to learn. Last night of hannukah, and we are expecting. Shot this iso 1000, 1/120 of sec, 85 mm, 1.8, with my 430 ex, with home made soft box to my left point up at her face. I think I like the results, although I dont know if it takes too much away from the candles.


larger version
http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/onblac...475&size=large
__________________
My Flickr
Gear List
kevindar is offline  
Old 12th of December 2007 (Wed)   #75
sfaust
Goldmember
 
sfaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,297
Default Re: Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours

You say you have a lot to learn, but you did balance the light sources pretty well here. If you want the candles more prominent, you can reduce the flash power just a bit. I would also add a warming gel on the flash to make the light warmer, and closer to the candles color balance.
__________________
Stephen
Commercial Photography
My Photography Blog

sfaust is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single Strobe Pictures golden1245 People 10 15th of December 2007 (Sat) 20:07
Over/Under Single Strobe jrjphoto People 4 11th of September 2007 (Tue) 21:36
Wedding formals strobe setup & examples tim Weddings and Other Family Events 9 23rd of May 2006 (Tue) 21:56
Looking for examples of Strobe Photography shafiq Canon EOS Digital Cameras 1 18th of December 2003 (Thu) 04:24


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.