LIST NEARBY THREADS

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
Joined Jun 2007
1,272 posts
Laguna Hills, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Village_Idiot wrote in post #4483925external link
Uno Vivitar 285HV over head and to the right, behind a white shoot through umbrella.

I over did the skin smooth a bit much on this one. I really like the pose though. This is one of my first attempts at shooting people in a "modeling" situation.
QUOTED IMAGE

That's a nice shot V_I.

Post #61, Dec 11, 2007 14:05:59

Randy

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
e ­ r ­ y ­ k
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
2,026 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/erykv1/finals/resize.jpg

Post #62, Dec 11, 2007 15:53:20

Canon EOS 5D // keepin' it old school

http://www.changaroo.c​om/external link

swatcop169
Joined Nov 2004
710 posts
Western North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

For you guys that are using a single strobe. Can you give me some insight. I'm doing a calender shoot Friday night for a girl and I only have the one AB800 with the stock umbrellia. I was thinking about ordering two more AB400's with softboxes and a octabox for a hair light but not sure if that is going to be needed.

Different locations, etc will be used in making this calendar. One I know of is going to be in a garage with a Dodge Viper.

Post #63, Dec 11, 2007 21:00:38

e ­ r ­ y ­ k
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
2,026 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

swat, i think whats more important is that you get a reflector. sure, more strobes would help, but you will be surprised how much a reflector will help :) plus, theyre really cheap!

is the shoot going to be taking place mostly indoors or outdoors?

Post #64, Dec 11, 2007 21:04:48

Canon EOS 5D // keepin' it old school

http://www.changaroo.c​om/external link

swatcop169
Joined Nov 2004
710 posts
Western North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

e r y k wrote in post #4486719external link
swat, i think whats more important is that you get a reflector. sure, more strobes would help, but you will be surprised how much a reflector will help :) plus, theyre really cheap!

is the shoot going to be taking place mostly indoors or outdoors?

Mostly indoors as its looking like its going to be either semi-nude or totally nude.

Can a reflector be made cheap or should I just order one? I've been looking at ordering some more strobes but haven't gotten around to it and I'm afraid it might be to late now.

Also, I have a Sigma SuperDG 500 flash that could be used I think, but not sure.

Post #65, Dec 11, 2007 21:14:06

sponsored links
sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
2,297 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Reflectors and mirrors will give you a three light setup without the expense of buying more lights. The AB800 has more than enough power to handle the lighting for small full length sets.

The downside, is that is seems you are short on time. You'll need to make sure you have enough time to practice with the reflector and mirrors before the shoot. Of course, the same really goes for multi light setups as well.

Here is what I would do to make the AB800 work triple duty. I would get a full length diffuser panel, and a 2'x3' acrylic mirror (lighter than glass and safer). You can then aim the light through the diffuser as a large softbox, but at the same time allow some light to pass the panel toward the back of the set (spill light, or split lighting). Use the mirror to then redirect that light back onto the subject from the other side. Its the perfect intensity as a kicker light, and the light through the diffusion panel acts as a full length main. The difference is usually about a stop or so, which is perfect for the main/kicker lighting setup.

You can also use another silver or gold reflector to further add dimension on the subject using that spill light, from what ever angle you see fit or needs more fill. If you balance it all with ambient lighting, it will be a very nice overall lighting effect.

The other downside is that it will be difficult if you also need to light the car. The reflectivity of the cars surface will cause you lots of issues unless you are lucky, or shoot it outside with a nice overcast or late afternoon sky to create nice smooth tonality on the cars finish.

But for standard full length poses, this technique works really really well.

Post #66, Dec 11, 2007 21:50:44

Stephen
Commercial Photographyexternal link
My Photography Blogexternal link

swatcop169
Joined Nov 2004
710 posts
Western North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

sfaust wrote in post #4486990external link
Reflectors and mirrors will give you a three light setup without the expense of buying more lights. The AB800 has more than enough power to handle the lighting for small full length sets.

The downside, is that is seems you are short on time. You'll need to make sure you have enough time to practice with the reflector and mirrors before the shoot. Of course, the same really goes for multi light setups as well.

Here is what I would do to make the AB800 work triple duty. I would get a full length diffuser panel, and a 2'x3' acrylic mirror (lighter than glass and safer). You can then aim the light through the diffuser as a large softbox, but at the same time allow some light to pass the panel toward the back of the set (spill light, or split lighting). Use the mirror to then redirect that light back onto the subject from the other side. Its the perfect intensity as a kicker light, and the light through the diffusion panel acts as a full length main. The difference is usually about a stop or so, which is perfect for the main/kicker lighting setup.

You can also use another silver or gold reflector to further add dimension on the subject using that spill light, from what ever angle you see fit or needs more fill. If you balance it all with ambient lighting, it will be a very nice overall lighting effect.

The other downside is that it will be difficult if you also need to light the car. The reflectivity of the cars surface will cause you lots of issues unless you are lucky, or shoot it outside with a nice overcast or late afternoon sky to create nice smooth tonality on the cars finish.

But for standard full length poses, this technique works really really well.

Thanks for the reply. Great information here. Let say I were to just order some more lights. Whould this setup work?

I have already;
1. AB800 with standard umbrella

I would order;
2 AB400
2 10' stands
1. Boom Arm
1 35" octabox with LGSR
2 Medium Softboxes
1 AB Radio Flash Trigger
3 AB Radio Flash Receiver

That would give me 3 lights, two with softboxes on it, one with a octabox on it. Fire them all wirelesslly using the AB wireless setup.

Would also pickup a Sekonic light meter to help also.

Post #67, Dec 11, 2007 21:57:58

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
2,297 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Sure it would. Although you will still have some issues with the car shot, but overall its a capable setup if you know how to use it all. I would even forgo a soft box or the octabox in lieu of a reflector and a set of grids. Those would be more useful for adding kicker highlights, etc.

Post #68, Dec 11, 2007 22:21:16

Stephen

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
10,536 posts
A dream world where nothing is what it seems.
[MORE/SHARE]

swatcop169 wrote in post #4487035external link
Thanks for the reply. Great information here. Let say I were to just order some more lights. Whould this setup work?

I have already;
1. AB800 with standard umbrella

I would order;
2 AB400
2 10' stands
1. Boom Arm
1 35" octabox with LGSR
2 Medium Softboxes
1 AB Radio Flash Trigger
3 AB Radio Flash Receiver

That would give me 3 lights, two with softboxes on it, one with a octabox on it. Fire them all wirelesslly using the AB wireless setup.

Would also pickup a Sekonic light meter to help also.

My 2-cents... get AB 800's instead of the 400's.... Your power will be a balanced set and much easier to work with ratios than trying to figure out the difference in output.. Plus you can be more creative with the 800's down the road... :)

Post #69, Dec 11, 2007 22:26:28

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
www.ksnyderphoto.comexternal link

swatcop169
Joined Nov 2004
710 posts
Western North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

sfaust wrote in post #4487161external link
Sure it would. Although you will still have some issues with the car shot, but overall its a capable setup if you know how to use it all. I would even forgo a soft box or the octabox in lieu of a reflector and a set of grids. Those would be more useful for adding kicker highlights, etc.

I'm not so much worried about getting the entire car in the shot. Just where she will be, which will most likely be in the drivers seat.

Post #70, Dec 11, 2007 22:30:05

swatcop169
Joined Nov 2004
710 posts
Western North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

Kristy wrote in post #4487199external link
My 2-cents... get AB 800's instead of the 400's.... Your power will be a balanced set and much easier to work with ratios than trying to figure out the difference in output.. Plus you can be more creative with the 800's down the road... :)

Thanks Kristy. I would love to pickup two more AB800's, but I'm kinda tight on money at this point and the AB400's would have to do for now.

Post #71, Dec 11, 2007 22:30:43

sponsored links
sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
2,297 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If you are only lighting part of the car, there won't be an issue then.

swatcop169 wrote in post #4487230external link
Thanks Kristy. I would love to pickup two more AB800's, but I'm kinda tight on money at this point and the AB400's would have to do for now.

Actually, Kristy brings up a very good point. And in light of that, if you can't get two 800's, I would recommend just getting one 800 for now, and pick up the second one later on.

Two 800's would do fine for this shoot, and later you won't be selling the 400's at a loss and buying two 800s. So I would recommend 1 800, soft box, grid set, and a large silver and gold reflector. You'll have more than enough to pull this off.

Post #72, Dec 11, 2007 22:49:50

Stephen

swatcop169
Joined Nov 2004
710 posts
Western North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

sfaust wrote in post #4487350external link
If you are only lighting part of the car, there won't be an issue then.

Actually, Kristy brings up a very good point. And in light of that, if you can't get two 800's, I would recommend just getting one 800 for now, and pick up the second one later on.

Two 800's would do fine for this shoot, and later you won't be selling the 400's at a loss and buying two 800s. So I would recommend 1 800, soft box, grid set, and a large silver and gold reflector. You'll have more than enough to pull this off.

Thanks you just seconded what someone else said. Two AB800's fitted with softboxes and maybe a 5 n 1 reflector should be more then plenty.

Post #73, Dec 11, 2007 22:55:36

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2007
5,020 posts
california
[MORE/SHARE]

first post here. Have been reading the lighting forum. So much to learn. Last night of hannukah, and we are expecting. Shot this iso 1000, 1/120 of sec, 85 mm, 1.8, with my 430 ex, with home made soft box to my left point up at her face. I think I like the results, although I dont know if it takes too much away from the candles.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://farm3.static.fl​ickr.com ...2104342475_ef12d2c5​60.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

larger version
http://bighugelabs.com ...?id=2104342475&size​=largeexternal link

Post #74, Dec 11, 2007 23:10:15

My Flickrexternal link
Gear List
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​205576

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
2,297 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

You say you have a lot to learn, but you did balance the light sources pretty well here. If you want the candles more prominent, you can reduce the flash power just a bit. I would also add a warming gel on the flash to make the light warmer, and closer to the candles color balance.

Post #75, Dec 12, 2007 14:35:40

Stephen

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,031,193 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a single strobe - creative examples - post yours
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES