Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 02 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 21:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Volunteering through photography

mai_lin
637 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Rhode Island
Dec 02, 2007 21:21 |  #1

* the american child photographers charity guildexternal link

* Think Pink Photography!external link Think Pink Photography was founded in October 2007 to support individuals and their families who have been touched by breast cancer. We are a charitable organization that serves two main purposes - celebrating life and supporting the cause. Check us out and spread the word - awareness is everything and we need your support!

* Special Olympics - Contact your local organization, once they've done a background check, shoot their events at no charge.

* Operation Love, Reunited, this one is surely American 100% http://www.oplove.org/external link

* Now I Lay Me Down To Sleepexternal link

I do fairly regular photo classes for a local non-profit. For those with a random P&S I'll show them how to use it, what the different features and such are. For those with a DSLR we'll cover better technique, and for those that actually know what they are doing its a nice hike. I'll take up to 10 people and its $50 per person for a 1 day (5 hrs) thing. I get my expenses covered ($20 ish) and the rest of the money goes to the non profit.

I'm a member of a local group of photographers who volunteers every year to shoot for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation's "Race For The Cure".

I volunteer for a non for profit therapeutic riding stable that helps disabled children and also disabled veterans. I usually drive out there a couple of times a year to do photographs for brochures and other advertising pieces they need.

Find an organization that you believe in thats located in your community and volunteer your photo services.

What about Big Brothers Big Sisters, a foster care home or something similar? There are many children out there who never get their picture taken and would like to be able to play "model" for a little while.

I have done work for adoption agencies helping with photographs of older kids wanting homes... may be worth a call to your local social services group.

Recently I have also been doing work at a local retirement center taking images of their residents that they can send to their families that are distant.

For the animal lover check with local humane societies they are always needing photos of their adoptable animals as well as for events and sometimes cruelty cases.

For the wildlife amateurs & lovers, check with your local zoo. I've found that these often run as non-profit organizations & their marketing department could use some ad shots. It's great to use to get your name & work out there for a portfolio!

I have done some volunteer stuff for a musicians benevolent fund and some benefit concerts.

Something I'm planning to do in 2008 is to do a photo trip for an NGO I know in Belgium. Basically, they help children from the streets to learn a job through a sponsored education program, conducted by local instructors and professionals. It also includes micro financing projects that these people would have after their training, or helping them to find a job afterwards.

The most I've done is for our local PBS station and the metropolitan parks district. The PBS station depends upon viewer donations, grants and work donated by a volunteer base.

I donate images to a non profit nature site for there species profiles, which is used in many schools for biology lessons.

* The Down Syndrome Society,which every year has what they call a "Buddy Walk". These walks take place all over the U.S. & abroad http://www.buddywalk.o​rg/external link I bet these folks would be delighted to have any of your skills & support.

I shoot a lot of youth sports, and my absolute hands-down favorite part of shooting the league is the Challengers division. This is a group of kids with special needs of all types, organized by some very good people with giant hearts. These kids, who are often left out of sports, are smiling from ear to ear. It's an amazing this to be part of.

Might be donating my Photoshop skills to the Richard Dawkins Foundation

i haven't really seen it mentioned yet, but about volunteering to photograph children as part of the ID kit, where they take fingerprints, etc. i've seen a mention of this in a photo mag but haven't contacted anyone yet, cuz i don't have much of a profile and this may be a requirement.

I volunteer every year at an assisted living center for senior citizens. Valentine's Day and around Thanksgiving. Valentines Day is a hoot with all the seniors trying to get a kiss for their picture. Thanksgiving I tell them to get together all the family.

* Another great volunteer organization is The Littlest Heroes Project. http://www.littlesther​oesproject.org...ject/​Home.htmlexternal link

* A sensational program - it uses sport as a way to give some of the most marginalised people in society a way to gain some self respect and self esteem and to rebuild their shattered lives. More information on it can be found at http://www3.homelesswo​rldcup.org/external link

If there is anyone in the Dallas, Texas area that would like to volunteer it is always needed at our non-profit. I take all the photos here but I am not very good, I just get lucky alot. Here is our website and my email for anyone interested. http://www.dallasmetro​.netexternal link

A few months back, I volunteered at a Extreme Makeover Home Edition build (the show on ABC for those who don't know), and the builder in charge of the show had volunteer professional photographers taking 'behind the scene' photos during the build. In talking with the photographers both nights I worked there, they were there on their own time using their own equipment, and they were having the time of their lives! The 2 I met taught me a lot about taking photos in low light situations (we were working the graveyard shift after all).

http://DeCesariPhotogr​aphy.comexternal link
Canon EOS 5Dmk II and 40D

Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM, Speedlite 580EX II :D
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...Excalibur_3200_W_S_​2.htmlexternal link

sponsored links
S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Dec 02, 2007 21:43 |  #2

Yes, I'll join this thread.

Special Olympics - Contact your local organization, once they've done a background check, shoot their events at no charge.

Operation Love, Reunited, this one is surely American 100%
http://www.oplove.org/external link

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

Primm
787 posts
Joined Aug 2007
I come from the land Down Under
Dec 02, 2007 22:30 |  #3

Infant bereavement photography - not the easiest gig in the world, but very, very worthwhile.

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleepexternal link

Ruth.
20D
+ 400mm f/5.6 L + 300mm f/4 L IS + 70-200 f/4 L + 17-40mm f/4 L + 50mm 1.8
Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today!external link

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004
Sacramento, CA USA
Dec 02, 2007 22:38 |  #4

I do fairly regular photo classes for a local non-profit. For those with a random P&S I'll show them how to use it, what the different features and such are. For those with a DSLR we'll cover better technique, and for those that actually know what they are doing its a nice hike. I'll take up to 10 people and its $50 per person for a 1 day (5 hrs) thing. I get my expenses covered ($20 ish) and the rest of the money goes to the non profit.

It's fun, and a popular event.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

S.Horton
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Dec 03, 2007 06:35 |  #5

@OP did you have a sticky thread in mind where people can post ways to actually volunteer?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005
San Diego, CA
Dec 03, 2007 08:51 as a reply to S.Horton's post |  #6
banned

I'm a member of a local group of photographers who volunteers every year to shoot for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation's "Race For The Cure".

I missed it this year (it was held yesterday), but it's worthwhile...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photographyexternal link

mai_lin
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Rhode Island
Dec 03, 2007 10:58 as a reply to Steve Parr's post |  #7

I think a sticky thread would be awesome but I don't think I can ask for that :oops:

http://DeCesariPhotogr​aphy.comexternal link
Canon EOS 5Dmk II and 40D

Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM, Speedlite 580EX II :D
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...Excalibur_3200_W_S_​2.htmlexternal link

Vortex99
"just got back from therapy... "
2,772 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Frozen Tundra of Canada
Dec 03, 2007 11:07 |  #8

What a great idea.....

We need a sticky for this....

Whats the protocol for getting a sticky on this forum?

-Peter

S.Horton
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Dec 03, 2007 11:52 |  #9

We tell a MOD, there are rules.......... I'll ask.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

Vortex99
"just got back from therapy... "
2,772 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Frozen Tundra of Canada
Dec 03, 2007 11:56 |  #10

hortonsl62 wrote in post #4431815external link
We tell a MOD, there are rules.......... I'll ask.

Sorry to say I only browsed the rules.....
Perhaps I should give them a read through...

-Peter

carianoff
611 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Detroitish, Michigan
Dec 03, 2007 12:03 as a reply to Vortex99's post |  #11

Fantastic thread idea. Great organization, although i really don't like how they post full phone numbers of the photographers on that site. I guess its good for those that have a business line, not so good for shared lines.

My Flickrexternal link
My Arsenal & Info

kona77
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Southern ME
Dec 04, 2007 12:30 as a reply to carianoff's post |  #12

mai_lin wrote in post #4428615external link
I've seen a few posts regarding different organizations to volunteer with as a photographer.

Tonight I came across another, the american child photographers charity guildexternal link

For anyone interested.

Maybe we can start a thread listing many ways to volunteer?

Jen

What a fantastic thread.

I have bookmarked your link and I will definitely join.

hortonsl62 wrote in post #4428761external link
Yes, I'll join this thread.

Special Olympics - Contact your local organization, once they've done a background check, shoot their events at no charge.

Operation Love, Reunited, this one is surely American 100%
http://www.oplove.org/external link

I can tell you that providing photos for such wonderful people will be cherished forever. Thank you for taking the time for such a special group of people. Way to go!:lol:

I have looked into your link on Operation Love and I have the application. I just have not had time to fill it out and get the ball rolling. This will be one of my New Year's resolutions.

Primm wrote in post #4429052external link
Infant bereavement photography - not the easiest gig in the world, but very, very worthwhile.

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleepexternal link

Wow, what a tough shoot. I looked and there are 3 or 4 people in my area already doing that. I wonder if it would be beneficial for the organization to have another photographer doing this?

I am just curious, have you done any of these? If so how did it go?

Proud father of a 10 year old son with Down Syndrome.

Primm
787 posts
Joined Aug 2007
I come from the land Down Under
Dec 04, 2007 18:00 |  #13

kona77 wrote in post #4438907external link
Wow, what a tough shoot. I looked and there are 3 or 4 people in my area already doing that. I wonder if it would be beneficial for the organization to have another photographer doing this?

I am just curious, have you done any of these? If so how did it go?

I'm not a member of Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, I'm an absolute amateur, as far as I know there is no Australian branch, although I'm thinking about approaching them to organise one.

I do know that if there are already 3 or 4 people in your area, another one would absolutely be beneficial. Often infant death happens in the middle of the night or at other inconvenient times, and having more people on call would increase the chances of someone being available. Also with a gig like this, any one person would not want to be doing it too often, or the stress and burnout could become overwhelming.

I work in a NICU, and I have often considered offering to take photos with my 20D for parents that are better than the crappy little P&S we have at work for the purpose. I don't think I'm a talented photographer by any stretch, but I think a better low-light lens and some PP would be wonderful in these situations. But I'm not confident enough in my ability to put it out there just yet.

Ruth.
20D
+ 400mm f/5.6 L + 300mm f/4 L IS + 70-200 f/4 L + 17-40mm f/4 L + 50mm 1.8
Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today!external link

kona77
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Southern ME
Dec 04, 2007 21:49 |  #14

Primm wrote in post #4440797 (external link)
I'm not a member of Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, I'm an absolute amateur, as far as I know there is no Australian branch, although I'm thinking about approaching them to organise one.

I do know that if there are already 3 or 4 people in your area, another one would absolutely be beneficial. Often infant death happens in the middle of the night or at other inconvenient times, and having more people on call would increase the chances of someone being available. Also with a gig like this, any one person would not want to be doing it too often, or the stress and burnout could become overwhelming.

I work in a NICU, and I have often considered offering to take photos with my 20D for parents that are better than the crappy little P&S we have at work for the purpose. I don't think I'm a talented photographer by any stretch, but I think a better low-light lens and some PP would be wonderful in these situations. But I'm not confident enough in my ability to put it out there just yet.

Primm.

That is some good information. Unfortunately our new son had open heart surgery when he was 5 days old and we spent 3 weeks in NICU and PICU. I could see the difficult emotions that all of us parents were experiencing at that time.

I took a few pictures but that was a tremendous effort at the time because all of our energy was just going to love our new son and help him start his new life. I am very glad I have the pictures I do and it was because the NICU nurse talked me into taking some. I think having another photographer there would of made a world of difference.

Although it was an extremely difficult time and it brings back some uncomfortable feelings, I also value the power of the photos showing how we have overcome a life and death situation.

Here is one of the pictures I took after my son just had open heart surgery.

Thanks

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Proud father of a 10 year old son with Down Syndrome.

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,251 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Australia.
Dec 04, 2007 22:21 |  #15

Primm wrote in post #4440797external link

I like this idea - while I don't think I could do it every week due to how draining it'd be but I think that it'd be a great thing to organise. If you ever do approach them about it let me know? (both parents work in JHH's NICU and I'm also a nurse)

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.auexternal link Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514external link & 1610/1614external link - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Homeexternal link - FA-100external link

sponsored links

115,030 views & 1 like for this thread
Volunteering through photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.