Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of December 2007 (Sun)   #1
Bob_McBob

Default Tripods for tall people

I'm in the market for a new set of tripod legs, but all the regular Gitzo models seem to be too short for me. I'm 6'4", and my eye level is about 70.5". Take away 4" for the Arca Swiss head, 3.5" for the 40D (less if has a tripod-mounted lens), and that gets me about 63" to have the tripod at eye level. Unfortunately, the tallest regular Gitzo model is the 3530SLV, at 58.3". The next model up is the 3540XLS, which is a 4 section "overhead" model that extends all the way to 78". It's also 1.2" longer when folded, 0.3lbs heavier, and $100 more expensive.

Are there any other tall photographers here with an opinion on what to do? Do I want to be stooping 5" all the time? Would I be okay with the shorter tripod? I read a post from last June by a guy who's 6' tall and says a 58" tripod is 3" too tall for him...
Bob_McBob is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of December 2007 (Mon)   #2
squiress

Default Re: Tripods for tall people

I hate stooping. You do have the option of getting one with a center column that would make things easier. I don't mind extending my center column a couple of inches. I think it takes nothing that I can see away from stability. Still, any movement of mass away from the yoke is going to detract from stability. The differences you mention are really the key to whether or not the XLS will work for you. If they will keep you from using the tripod, you might consider the center column model and judiciously use it.

Stew
squiress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2007 (Mon)   #3
Familiaphoto
Goldmember

I'm 6'4" as well and use a Manfrotto 3021BPRO. Extending the column up no more than half way and I'm ok, I do stoop a bit but I can live with it. Being as tall as I am I have come accept that I will hit my head alot and be too tall for most things. When shooting I spend most of my time kneeling or stooping over to get the right perspective. So far my back is holding up.

Blog | Gear | Gallery

Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...
Familiaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of December 2007 (Mon)   #4
Bob_McBob

The other issue I've thought of is that shooting at my eye level is probably going to give some weird angles, so I may end up stooping most of the time, anyway.
Bob_McBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2007 (Mon)   #5
Familiaphoto
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_McBob View Post
The other issue I've thought of is that shooting at my eye level is probably going to give some weird angles, so I may end up stooping most of the time, anyway.
Bob, that is exactely why I stoop alot. Being this tall, if I were to stand straight up most pictures would be looking down on subjects. The only time I've had my tripod at full height is when doing fireworks, otherwise I adjust it to be level with my subjects.

Blog | Gear | Gallery

Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...
Familiaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2007 (Mon)   #6
12345Michael54321

A couple of years back, I decided I wanted one really tall tripod. A tripod where I'd never have to think to myself, "This tripod would be perfect, if only it were a couple of inches taller."

I wound up buying a Bogen 3036. Which I think is also called the Manfrotto 475.

It's not compact or lightweight, but it's tall enough for a 7 footer, and sturdy enough to handle anything up to and including an 8x10 view camera. And used ones in near mint condition can often be found for around $100.

Well, just a thought.
12345Michael54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2007 (Mon)   #7
Echo63
Goldmember

Im 6'6 and got a Slik Pro 700 DX
with the centre column fully extended the threaded bit to bolt the head on is at eye level for me
it is fairly stable, but to get the best out of it you have to use a remote release and mirror lock up

i often find its easier (and more stable) to kneel down, and use the tripod a collapsed
Old 3rd of December 2007 (Mon)   #8
deadpass
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo63 View Post
Im 6'6 and got a Slik Pro 700 DX
with the centre column fully extended the threaded bit to bolt the head on is at eye level for me
it is fairly stable, but to get the best out of it you have to use a remote release and mirror lock up

i often find its easier (and more stable) to kneel down, and use the tripod a collapsed
I have the same legs with a 488RC2, i'm 6'3" and I can make it too tall for me.
Old 3rd of December 2007 (Mon)   #9
dekalbSTEEL

How bout a right angle viewfinder?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ght_Angle.html
Old 4th of December 2007 (Tue)   #10
da_nige

I'm 6'2 and I use a 3530LSV and fully extended it is above my eye height by the time I add my head and camera

Gitzo 3530LSV tripod and Manfrotto monopod, various pieces of camo gear, various filters and cables. Lowepro (x3) Dakine and Crumpler bags.
da_nige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of December 2007 (Tue)   #11
Bootsie
"Dang! I am a loser"

My dad is 6'5", so I will have him try my Amvona Tripod, I think that it will be tall enough.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of December 2007 (Tue)   #12
Echo63
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
I have the same legs with a 488RC2, i'm 6'3" and I can make it too tall for me.
i use the 488rc2 on mine too, with the head+ camera i can also make it too tall for me

the Threaded bit to mount the head onto (under the head) is at eye level for me when fully extended
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #13
blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"

I have the Manfrotto 3021BPRO with the 488RC2 head. I'm only 5'-11" & this setup makes it difficult for me to see the top of the camera. I usually have to shorten the legs a bit. I would think this setup would be perfect for somebody 6'-4" tall, even if the center column had to be raised an inch or two

Gear List
blueM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #14
simwells

My 055PROB (3021) with 488RC2 is about ideal for me without extending the centre column at all, this is with a gripped camera and I'm 6'3". In this position it's a couple of inches below my eye level, which I find ideal as I tend to want to stoop slightly when looking into the viewfinder, find it more comfortable than trying to stay perfectly upright.
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #15
NZDoug
"old fashion"

Location: French Bay, on the shores of the mighty Manukau Harbour, Aoteoroa

The subject and view point determine the camera height, not the height of the photographer.