Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #1
71sbeetle
Goldmember

Default 40D Focusing Screen DIY - Pics inside

Quick note:
This procedure is similar on the Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 50D and Canon EOS 5D, and I am sure it covers all the other bodies that have user-changeable focusing screen (I've only personally done it on the 40D, 50D and 5D)

Alright, since I wanted to swap my 40D focusing screen to the Ef-D with grid lines I've been looking for a DIY to see how easy it really was, but I couldn't
find one, so I decided to make one to help out whoever else is considering it. This is a guide only, you should still read the instructions that come with
the focusing screen you are using, also do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damage to you or your camera equipment.
Alright first of all, bring your 40D and your newly purchased focusing screen (in that case for me the Ef-D screen):

Then open the box for the focusing screen, this is what you should have, instructions and the focusing screen and tool:

Now lay your 40D down and take the body cap off, try doing that in a non dusty area. You will be looking for the little locking clip that holds the focusing
screen holder up, I circled it in red in the picture:

Put the provided tool under the clip:

and pull up on it, the focusing screen holder will come down:

Then using the same tool, press on the blue part of the handle top open the clip and clip it on the little tab that sticks out from the focusing screen:

Lift the focusing screen up and slid it out:

Then set the focusing screen you just removed in that little area made for it in the box:

Last edited by 71sbeetle : 20th of March 2009 (Fri) at 12:16.
71sbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #2
71sbeetle
Goldmember

Default Re: 40D Focusing Screen DIY - Pics inside

Now pick up the new focusing screen:

Put it in the focusing screen holder, basically reverse steps from removing the other one:

And push the focusing screen holder back up until it clicks:

Replace the body cap on the camera, turn the camera ON, go to Menu, Custom Functions IV: Operation/Others, then go to C.Fn 5 and choose the appropriate
Focusing Screen (0: Ef-A, 1: Ef-D, 2: Ef-S)

That's it, you're done ! Go out and enjoy your new focusing screen !
Sorry if some of the pics are blurry, I am not used to my wife's Canon SD870IS yet

The whole thing including opening the box, taking my 40D out the Pelican case and taking pictures of the whole process took me 7 minutes, I'm guessing the swap itself should take about 90 seconds at most !

Hope that helps someone
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #3
ChucklesKY

Great tutorial! I had started a thread about these focusing screens a couple of weeks ago. I was wondering exactly how it was done. Most everyone said it was easy but couldn't really explain or I couldn't really visualize. This really helps a lot! Good job!
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #4
kaitanium
Goldmember

wut the heck, i didnt even know canon made a focusing screen

does this screen have the circle in the center to help you manually focus like the haodas? but i guess it wont matter cuz i dont have a 40d

Last edited by kaitanium : 5th of December 2007 (Wed) at 16:44.
kaitanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #5
koalawalla

Thanks for showing us this! I just found a defect on my focusing screen on the far upper right. Didn't even notice it till I tested my camera on a blank sheet of paper. I'll probably swap it eventually.
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #6
71sbeetle
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalawalla View Post
Thanks for showing us this! I just found a defect on my focusing screen on the far upper right. Didn't even notice it till I tested my camera on a blank sheet of paper. I'll probably swap it eventually.

mine has a defect too towards the center, I took the screen back out and it looks like the coating on the screen is uneven at that spot .... I wonder if I should call Canon or the place I bought it at (Adorama) ?
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #7
71sbeetle
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitanium View Post
wut the heck, i didnt even know canon made a focusing screen

does this screen have the circle in the center to help you manually focus like the haodas? but i guess it wont matter cuz i dont have a 40d

No but they make the Ef-S which is for manual focusing, but is better with f/2.8 or better lenses, otherwise it will make the viewfinder quite dark
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #8
71sbeetle
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesKY View Post
Great tutorial! I had started a thread about these focusing screens a couple of weeks ago. I was wondering exactly how it was done. Most everyone said it was easy but couldn't really explain or I couldn't really visualize. This really helps a lot! Good job!

Yup remember seeing your thread and this is why I made the DIY, I had ordered my screen I think the day before you posted it, and then I remember seeing your thread and I thought, hey, I am not the only one out there that would like an idea of what's involved before buying one, so I decided I'd make a DIY when I installed mine and here it is
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #9
tampaphotogal

is the screen with the grid lines any brighter than the original one? just wondering if I should try one or pay more for the katz eye brighter one.
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #10
carianoff

I want a katz one with a focus ring, but i really think I'm going to have someone do it. I just don't have the guts.

My Arsenal & Info
carianoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #11
71sbeetle
Goldmember

don't think it's brighter but I know it will not mess up the metering like the katz eye does, oh and it is so easy to swap it's not even funny lol
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #12
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sbeetle View Post
don't think it's brighter but I know it will not mess up the metering like the katz eye does, oh and it is so easy to swap it's not even funny lol
Yep, under a minute even if you're not very fast. I put the Ef-S in mine a few weeks ago. I have the grid screen too, which I'll pop in as needed. The grid stays in my 5D.

Mark
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blog (NSFW)- My Complete Gear List - Mac-Photo Website - My Tumblr Site (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES
Mark_Cohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #13
ChucklesKY

The Katz Eye screens look pretty sweet. But unfortunately they have all different kinds of varied exposure compensation to use based on different compositions. For this reason there is no way I would get one. With the Canon OEM focusing screens all you do is change the Custom Function and the exposure value change is all automatic. No manual setup or thinking. I don't like thinking. It makes my brain sweat!
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #14
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop

I have the Katz Eye screen, but without the split prism. I haven't noticed much in the way of metering issues with it. Mine's got their "OptiBrite" treatment. I got it because I wanted more precision than the standard Canon screen without sacrificing brightness and I wanted a "rule of thirds" grid.

The screen works quite nicely in my experience. I use the Ef-A setting in the camera.

Note that I haven't done any formal testing of the metering accuracy.

About the only real downside of the screen is that it's rather expensive. The Canon screens are about $35 apiece. Unless you really want the specific features of the Katz Eye, you're probably better off sticking with the Canon screens.
kcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2007 (Wed)   #15
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time

that's really cool

thanks for doing it. I have the 40D and been thinking about doing the same thing at some point. I was wondering how it was done.

I just have one question, do the focus points still show up?