Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts
Thread started 03 Sep 2004 (Friday) 22:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Archangel Gabriella! From Park Concert. Please Critique

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,446 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Trantor
Sep 03, 2004 22:26 |  #1

This is "Miss Placencia" for 2004. She took up her trumpet and joined a jazz ensemble for the last "Concert In The Park" series in Fullerton. Very accomplished young lady. Unfortunately, she was in the shadows and I did not want to push the ISO any higher. Even though I was at the limits of my handholding ability, I think that these might be OK.

Granted I am not happy about cropping here tiara on the first shot, but that is too late to fix. I wish that there was some sort of "window" on the camera that I could look through to see if I like the framing. OH! That's right, the viewfinder - I'm gonna have to start using that!

On the second I don't like the fact that the guys that are not the subject are brighter than her.

The question is, am I being too picky, or are those fatal flaws?

Please Critique

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

10D
70-300 DO IS at 300mm
ISO = 800
1/20th Second (Hand held with the IS on)
f 5.6

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

10D
70-300 DO IS at 240mm
ISO = 400
1/20th Second (Hand held with the IS on)
f 5.6

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

im2postal
49 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Sep 04, 2004 07:33 |  #2

better than you think

We are our own worst critics. That is why so many on the critique corner feel poorly about there shots while others like it.

Your subject looks good to me. It is your background that kills it. Technically I see no problems. You might try using Photoshop to burn out the background.

Robbie ?!

Sailor ­ Don
237 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Texas
Sep 04, 2004 08:23 |  #3

Good photos.

Radtech1,

Good photos. The first one is better. In the second photo, why have the other two trumpet players in the photo if they are out of focus? Why not boost the ISO and stop down for greater DOF? If there is too much pixel noise in the final image, you can always try processing it through one of the many noise reduction programs that are available.

Sailor Don

Molydood
603 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex, UK
Sep 04, 2004 08:41 |  #4

Radtech1 wrote:
Granted I am not happy about cropping here tiara on the first shot, but that is too late to fix. I wish that there was some sort of "window" on the camera that I could look through to see if I like the framing. OH! That's right, the viewfinder - I'm gonna have to start using that!

LOL.

Nice shots. I agree with you comments on the darkness of the girl, but feel it could be corrected with a little time in PS. I really like the shots though.

Pekka has a brass band gallery that is really fantastic, go take a look.

My real name is Martin
20D (FS 300D), fifty, 18-55, 70-200 f4, tubes

2,312 views & 0 likes for this thread
Archangel Gabriella! From Park Concert. Please Critique
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.