Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Dec 2007 (Thursday) 23:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Store Warranty vs Canon USA Warranty

tszumowski
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 06, 2007 23:30 |  #1

Hi,
I'm in the market for a 40D. Many of the online resellers claim the camera is new and factory sealed, but are offering a store warrranty vs the Canon USA warranty. This doesn't smell right to me. I am being too skeptical?

sponsored links
viperx27
305 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 06, 2007 23:33 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

where are you looking? there are some stickies on places to avoid at the top of the forum.

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 06, 2007 23:42 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Do you have direct links?

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

tszumowski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 07, 2007 00:03 |  #4

Companies like US1Camera, Digicombos are selling the body only for $1169 and $1040. One of the sponsored links on Amazon is Prestige Camera and they are selling it for $883. I looked up Prestige on reseller ratings and they had more hate mail then I've ever seen.

dilorenzo1954
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 07, 2007 00:36 as a reply to  @ tszumowski's post |  #5

Even the reputable stores like Calumet try pushing their extended warranties. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 'B" stock (used and returned within 2 weeks) 40D that still has the full Canon warranty and still they tried to push the Mack warranty or the "Calumet Complete Protection Plan" for $300 (2 years). I have until Saturday to decide but I kind of made up my mind...Buy the camera, but skip the extended warranty.

Ed

“A photograph is usually looked at- seldom looked into.” ~Ansel Adams

harrydog
146 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 07, 2007 07:43 |  #6

Sometimes a "store warranty" is offered when they are not an authorized dealer and the manufacturer's warranty is not valid. I know that's the case for some things but I'm obviously not sure in this case.
I would want the Canon USA warranty and if they can't offer that, I buy elsewhere.

jotphoto
72 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 07, 2007 18:47 |  #7

This is also a comon practice with companys selling grey market cameras, since the manufacture will not warranty them they will give a store warranty. This warranty is normally not as good as the manufactures warranty. IN fact if it is a Nikon Gray market camera Nikon will not repair it ever, regardless if you are willing to pay for repair or not.

Jeff

Everyone has a photographic memory, some are just out of film.:lol:

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 07, 2007 18:52 |  #8

Sure a lot of misinformation here...

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

tszumowski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 07, 2007 20:44 |  #9

Thanks everyone. You've been a great help. Think I'll pay a little extra and go with the Canon warranty.

dilorenzo1954
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 07, 2007 20:45 |  #10

cosworth wrote in post #4460187 (external link)

Why don't you just clear it up for us then....;)

Ed

“A photograph is usually looked at- seldom looked into.” ~Ansel Adams

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,354 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 07, 2007 22:15 |  #11

cosworth wrote in post #4460187 (external link)

It would be more helpful in answering the OP's question to say what information is good and what isn't.

Although the spin doctors have gotten better at putting a "nice" interpretation on the term "gray market", a practice that has been going on since the 1960's, it amounts to bringing products from the far East into the USA outside of authorized channels.

The practice began with the hole-in-the-wall businesses along Camera Row who bypassed the import network and dodged import tariffs by using complex circuitous routes involving front organizations that were alleged importers for other countries to bring in equipment (stereo, television, camera, telescope, etc.) that was originally destined for other markets outside the USA. They were not authorized dealers and their goal was to beat the prices of legitimate dealers. This meant that the equipment came in without any warranty and if they had any operating manual at all, it was most likely not in English. Generally speaking, the equipment also did not come with any of the standard accessories that were included with legal equipment.

Back then, if there was any sort of warranty, it was only as good as the reputation of the dealer -- which is to say, it was worthless. All of this was reported very heavily in the stereo and photography magazines of the time and combined with mounting consumer complaints, laws were passed to try to get the situation under control. Since I was stationed at USMA West Point at the time, I made an occasional trip into the city to visit the camera stores and observe the practice that I had read about.

It took quite a few years and a lot of legislative action, but the end result was there were two types of products -- one fully sanctioned by the manufacturer and covered by their USA warranty and the other gray market type of equipment that had to be, in all respects, the same product with all of the same stuff in its package, had to be labeled as gray market, and had to have a warranty that was in all respects fully equal to the USA warranty. That last part has always remained a difficult to define and enforce area, that is entirely dependent upon the integrity of the dealer.

Now, even the most reputable dealers frequently sell gray market merchandise at a few dollars less than the regular USA warranted merchandise. You can fully trust reputable dealers such as B&H if you buy a gray market item from them, but the price difference isn't very great -- for instance, a $1650 Canon lens might cost $1630 for the gray market version. The problem is that unscrupulous dealers are still out there and probably always will be.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

sponsored links

3,421 views & 0 likes for this thread
Store Warranty vs Canon USA Warranty
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.