Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #1
wayne_eddy

Default 40D & CF Cards

I just purchased a 40D and was wondering what would be the best CF to get?

Is the 40D CFII compatible?

Any brands ppl have had issues with?

Thanks

Wayne
wayne_eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #2
madferrit

Default Re: 40D & CF Cards

Personally I would go for a brand I can trust, rather than something non-branded. Sandisk seems to be the popular choice. But buy it from a reputable place, as there are many fakes out there on ebay.

The other thing you might want to look at is card speed. Overall answer is that any CF card will be fine for your 40D.
Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #3
tonydee
Goldmember

I bought a 2GB Lexar Professional 300x (45MB/sec) to start, then 4GB and 8GB IOData 133xs. In practice, using a Digital Kiss X (400D) I don't notice the difference when using the Lexar, so I just leave the 8GB in. Really, 3fps RAW ~= 30MB/sec, so that speed falls between the two cards, so it should make a little difference but I wouldn't worry about it unless you shoot sports or moving wildlife and are really worried about missing the moment. The 2GB Lexar cost as much as the 4GB IOData card. No problems at all with any of them, with 10000 pics shot on these cards. Cheers, Tony
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #4
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydee View Post
I bought a 2GB Lexar Professional 300x (45MB/sec) to start, then 4GB and 8GB IOData 133xs. In practice, using a Digital Kiss X (400D) I don't notice the difference when using the Lexar, so I just leave the 8GB in. Really, 3fps RAW ~= 30MB/sec, so that speed falls between the two cards, so it should make a little difference but I wouldn't worry about it unless you shoot sports or moving wildlife and are really worried about missing the moment. The 2GB Lexar cost as much as the 4GB IOData card. No problems at all with any of them, with 10000 pics shot on these cards. Cheers, Tony
You cannot realize the full speed of the Lexar cards, only a select set of electronics can utilize the UDMA capabilities of the Lexar, as an FYI. I am not sure what the normal speeds of the Lexars are without UDMA though, probably very, very close to that of the Sandisk.
TeamSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #5
carianoff

SanDisk Ultra II at least. But for a little more you can get the Extreme III, which boasts better read/write speed, comes with a carrying case and has a Ducati logo on the box.

My Arsenal & Info
carianoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #6
CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock

I use Sandisk Extreme III on my 30D and 40D. Not sure if there's a speed difference from the Sandisk Ultra II's, but they are starting to get hard to get hold of anyway. I have a few 4 GB's, a few 2 GB's and a few 1 GB's (totally around 40 GB, but I shoot weddings in Raw, so I need more than I use).
CyberPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #7
::John::
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPet View Post
I use Sandisk Extreme III on my 30D and 40D. Not sure if there's a speed difference from the Sandisk Ultra II's, but they are starting to get hard to get hold of anyway. I have a few 4 GB's, a few 2 GB's and a few 1 GB's (totally around 40 GB, but I shoot weddings in Raw, so I need more than I use).

Similar - Sandisk Extreme III 3 x 4Gb. Ultra II 2 x 2Gb, 2 x 1Gb and a couple of 512Mb cards used on the 40D and the 5D. Only ever had one card failure and the pictures were recovered through some free software found via POTN. Card was reformatted and has never failed since (touches wood).
::John:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #8
andrewhuxman
Cream of the Crop

Sandisk Extreme III 12 GB and your good to go.Even though I have plenty of 2 GB which are not large enough at all.

Canon 7D,40D, gripped,16-35MM 2.8L,24-105MM F4L,70-200MM 2.8 IS USM L,500MM F4L
www.machtwomedia.com
andrewhuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of December 2007 (Fri)   #9
toasted1

IMHO Kingston rules in the service department... They are having a sale on the website... just picked up a 133x 16gb for my New Zealand trip... Watch out with using a micro drive cf card with the live view... it will overheat the card and destroy it... btw live view rocks, try using the picture zoom button, it digitally zooms 10x to allow manual focus... i can get super sharp exposures...
toasted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2009 (Mon)   #10
rnsmomma

does it matter if the card is a 233x for my 40D?
rnsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2009 (Mon)   #11
roastpuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnsmomma View Post
It would depend on what you were doing. If you're planning to do a lot of high-speed burst shots (sports events, similar etc) then yes it would probably matter. If it's mostly portraits or something less fast-paced it wouldn't matter as much thanks to the fairly good buffer on the 40D.

I found that since getting my 5D2 I'm less worried about speed thanks to my huge buffer even when shooting full-size RAW files. However, on my friend's old 5D Classic I would bump into the buffer limit when shooting fencing bouts and have to wait for the buffer to clear into the card - this was on a Sandisk Ultra II.

On my XSi, the buffer would take a long time to clear when shooting RAW burst mode, and when I got Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards it helped a lot as it was writing a lot faster compared to the regular Kingston Class 6 SDHC cards.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2009 (Mon)   #12
griptape
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnsmomma View Post
The buffer will flush a little faster, so you'll be able to get a few more shots out of burst mode before the fps slows down, and it will transfer to your computer much quicker through a card reader. Whether those benefits are worth the extra cost is up to you (it is to me, I still have a few slower 16GB and 8GB cards, but a the transfer speed to my PC leads me to using one of my 266x 8GB cards most of the time).
griptape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of April 2009 (Tue)   #13
wayne_eddy

Now I'm up for a new CF card in time for my trip to Japan in a few weeks.

Some electronic devices will not recognise large storage cards.

Is there a max limit for the size (in GIG) the 40D will take?

thanks,

Wayne.
wayne_eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of April 2009 (Tue)   #14
low orbit

You're better off IMO to have several smaller cards than one large one Wayne. That way if a card fails (doesn't happen often but it happens) then you won't lose all your shots. For a 40D I'd go 8 gig and maybe a few 4's?

Cheers.
Old 14th of April 2009 (Tue)   #15
CanonDad

Yep, dont go for too much more than 4GB.
For the file sizes of a 40D you'd get enough shots on 4GB to keep you happy. Any more and risk losign ALOT of shots.