Thread started 07 Dec 2007 (Friday) 06:27   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
1,879 posts
Perth, 'straya
[MORE/SHARE]

I just purchased a 40D and was wondering what would be the best CF to get?

Is the 40D CFII compatible?

Any brands ppl have had issues with?

Thanks

Wayne

Post #1, Dec 07, 2007 06:27:32

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
madferrit
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,043 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Personally I would go for a brand I can trust, rather than something non-branded. Sandisk seems to be the popular choice. But buy it from a reputable place, as there are many fakes out there on ebay.

The other thing you might want to look at is card speed. Overall answer is that any CF card will be fine for your 40D.

Post #2, Dec 07, 2007 06:30:47

My Canon can.. I just need to find out how :rolleyes:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=298914

tonydee
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
2,009 posts
Tokyo
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought a 2GB Lexar Professional 300x (45MB/sec) to start, then 4GB and 8GB IOData 133xs. In practice, using a Digital Kiss X (400D) I don't notice the difference when using the Lexar, so I just leave the 8GB in. Really, 3fps RAW ~= 30MB/sec, so that speed falls between the two cards, so it should make a little difference but I wouldn't worry about it unless you shoot sports or moving wildlife and are really worried about missing the moment. The 2GB Lexar cost as much as the 4GB IOData card. No problems at all with any of them, with 10000 pics shot on these cards. Cheers, Tony

Post #3, Dec 07, 2007 10:40:56

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonyponexternal link recent work

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
Joined May 2002
26,008 posts
NW Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

tonydee wrote in post #4457407external link
I bought a 2GB Lexar Professional 300x (45MB/sec) to start, then 4GB and 8GB IOData 133xs. In practice, using a Digital Kiss X (400D) I don't notice the difference when using the Lexar, so I just leave the 8GB in. Really, 3fps RAW ~= 30MB/sec, so that speed falls between the two cards, so it should make a little difference but I wouldn't worry about it unless you shoot sports or moving wildlife and are really worried about missing the moment. The 2GB Lexar cost as much as the 4GB IOData card. No problems at all with any of them, with 10000 pics shot on these cards. Cheers, Tony

You cannot realize the full speed of the Lexar cards, only a select set of electronics can utilize the UDMA capabilities of the Lexar, as an FYI. I am not sure what the normal speeds of the Lexars are without UDMA though, probably very, very close to that of the Sandisk.

Post #4, Dec 07, 2007 10:45:33

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link

carianoff
Joined Nov 2007
611 posts
Detroitish, Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

SanDisk Ultra II at least. But for a little more you can get the Extreme III, which boasts better read/write speed, comes with a carrying case and has a Ducati logo on the box.

Post #5, Dec 07, 2007 10:47:11 as a reply to tonydee's post 6 minutes earlier.

My Flickrexternal link
My Arsenal & Info

sponsored links
CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
Joined May 2005
4,052 posts
Piteå, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

I use Sandisk Extreme III on my 30D and 40D. Not sure if there's a speed difference from the Sandisk Ultra II's, but they are starting to get hard to get hold of anyway. I have a few 4 GB's, a few 2 GB's and a few 1 GB's (totally around 40 GB, but I shoot weddings in Raw, so I need more than I use).

Post #6, Dec 07, 2007 11:00:17

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

::John::
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2005
8,537 posts
Canberra, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

CyberPet wrote in post #4457522external link
I use Sandisk Extreme III on my 30D and 40D. Not sure if there's a speed difference from the Sandisk Ultra II's, but they are starting to get hard to get hold of anyway. I have a few 4 GB's, a few 2 GB's and a few 1 GB's (totally around 40 GB, but I shoot weddings in Raw, so I need more than I use).

Similar - Sandisk Extreme III 3 x 4Gb. Ultra II 2 x 2Gb, 2 x 1Gb and a couple of 512Mb cards used on the 40D and the 5D. Only ever had one card failure and the pictures were recovered through some free software found via POTN. Card was reformatted and has never failed since (touches wood).

Post #7, Dec 07, 2007 14:13:43

andrewhuxman
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2005
7,837 posts
Rockford Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Sandisk Extreme III 12 GB and your good to go.Even though I have plenty of 2 GB which are not large enough at all.

Post #8, Dec 07, 2007 14:16:55

A little L goes a long way.

Canon 7D,40D, gripped,16-35MM 2.8L,24-105MM F4L,70-200MM 2.8 IS USM L,500MM F4L
www.machtwomedia.comexternal link

toasted1
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2007
7 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

IMHO Kingston rules in the service department... They are having a sale on the website... just picked up a 133x 16gb for my New Zealand trip... Watch out with using a micro drive cf card with the live view... it will overheat the card and destroy it... btw live view rocks, try using the picture zoom button, it digitally zooms 10x to allow manual focus... i can get super sharp exposures...

Post #9, Dec 07, 2007 14:54:48

rnsmomma
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2009
8 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

does it matter if the card is a 233x for my 40D?

Post #10, Apr 13, 2009 20:23:25

roastpuff
Joined Jul 2008
143 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rnsmomma wrote in post #7724136external link

It would depend on what you were doing. If you're planning to do a lot of high-speed burst shots (sports events, similar etc) then yes it would probably matter. If it's mostly portraits or something less fast-paced it wouldn't matter as much thanks to the fairly good buffer on the 40D.

I found that since getting my 5D2 I'm less worried about speed thanks to my huge buffer even when shooting full-size RAW files. However, on my friend's old 5D Classic I would bump into the buffer limit when shooting fencing bouts and have to wait for the buffer to clear into the card - this was on a Sandisk Ultra II.

On my XSi, the buffer would take a long time to clear when shooting RAW burst mode, and when I got Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards it helped a lot as it was writing a lot faster compared to the regular Kingston Class 6 SDHC cards.

Post #11, Apr 13, 2009 20:36:53

sponsored links
griptape
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
2,036 posts
Home
[MORE/SHARE]

rnsmomma wrote in post #7724136external link

The buffer will flush a little faster, so you'll be able to get a few more shots out of burst mode before the fps slows down, and it will transfer to your computer much quicker through a card reader. Whether those benefits are worth the extra cost is up to you (it is to me, I still have a few slower 16GB and 8GB cards, but a the transfer speed to my PC leads me to using one of my 266x 8GB cards most of the time).

Post #12, Apr 13, 2009 20:49:06

wayne_eddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
1,879 posts
Perth, 'straya
[MORE/SHARE]

Now I'm up for a new CF card in time for my trip to Japan in a few weeks.

Some electronic devices will not recognise large storage cards.

Is there a max limit for the size (in GIG) the 40D will take?

thanks,

Wayne.

Post #13, Apr 14, 2009 04:49:53

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

low ­ orbit
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
1,730 posts
Christchurch, NZ
[MORE/SHARE]

You're better off IMO to have several smaller cards than one large one Wayne. That way if a card fails (doesn't happen often but it happens) then you won't lose all your shots. For a 40D I'd go 8 gig and maybe a few 4's?

Cheers.

Post #14, Apr 14, 2009 05:17:26

Shoot as if it were film

Find my photographs here - updated June 2014external link
GKPE Chatter

CanonDad
Joined Apr 2009
39 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep, dont go for too much more than 4GB.
For the file sizes of a 40D you'd get enough shots on 4GB to keep you happy. Any more and risk losign ALOT of shots.

Post #15, Apr 14, 2009 05:24:27

: My Gear :
.external link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D & CF Cards
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES