FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 07 Dec 2007 (Friday) 23:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Rrdstarr
Joined Sep 2007
203 posts
Victoria, BC Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

My next door neighbor works as a photographer for Thrifty Foods here in Victoria and asked if I was interested in making him a homemade panoramic head for his tripod. Well being a machinist I couldn't resist!

I am a aviation machinist by trade to qualify that this wasn't botched together!:)

This is my first attempt:
It seems to fit a variety of cameras. Tried taking a pic with my wife's camera, but couldn't get an acceptable one...so I took my camera off and took a pic of her camera mounted on my panoramic! LOL!

Not sure if I should think of making these for profit or not? They are light weight but I placed a 10# block of steel on the arm and it held it without problems! I have roller bearings between the mounting plates and have detent stops every 20 degrees to look the head in place. T-slot track so it is infinitely adjustable!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, Dec 07, 2007 23:50:35

Rick's stuff!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
scot079
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,839 posts
Maryland USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Cool, but isn't it just like a 3D or pan/tilt head? Also, it looks like it may crumble under a heavy camera/lens combo.

Post #2, Dec 08, 2007 01:57:20

- Tim
www.timadkinsphoto.comexternal link
GEARandFEEDBACK

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

scot079 wrote in post #4462253external link
Cool, but isn't it just like a 3D or pan/tilt head? Also, it looks like it may crumble under a heavy camera/lens combo.

http://www.edb.utexas.​edu/teachnet/QTVR/Noda​lPoint.htmexternal link

Info regarding "nodal point" .. different than just panning around in a circle to make a panoramic image.

Most panos are shot with "normal" lenses to allow for maximum area coverage with minimum distortion (iow, don't use WA or UWA lenses...) Big glass has too confined a POV for panos...

Post #3, Dec 08, 2007 02:02:38

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

To the OP:

Looks pretty slick!

Post #4, Dec 08, 2007 02:03:06

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Rrdstarr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
203 posts
Victoria, BC Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Just got some feedback from the neighbor and he said it works great!:):):) Took a panorama of his living room as it is a bit chilly and windy today!

Guess I will build one for myself now!:eek:

Post #5, Dec 08, 2007 15:03:50 as a reply to FlyingPhotog's post 13 hours earlier.

Rick's stuff!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you don't mind a suggestion...

The rail on the camera running parallel to the lens axis of your rig is short (too short in my opinion) while the rail attached directly to the tripod is too long. If you swapped the two so that the longer rail is on the camera, you'd be able to adjust for the nodal point of even longer lenses.

Post #6, Dec 09, 2007 10:13:36

...Leo

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,634 views & 0 likes for this thread
Homemade panoramic
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES