Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of December 2007 (Wed)   #1
Nates98cbr

Question Business Portrait

Ok, I read through the stickies and really couldn't come up with a starting point on what to price a business portrait head shot to be used a website (I think for selling insurance.) I've never charged for a photo before and I plan to make some kind of contract so that I retain copyrights of the photo. Any help is greatly appreciated, I just don't know what price to even begin thinking of charging Anyone that does this for a living or side business please chime in and give me advice and what your rates for something like this would be! Thanks in advance!

Nathan
Old 13th of December 2007 (Thu)   #2
Nightstalker

Default Re: Business Portrait

Why follow the herd and charge the same as anyone else? How much do you want / need to charge?

Also consider how much will it cost you to do the job - time / is travelling involved etc...
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of December 2007 (Thu)   #3
Nates98cbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
Why follow the herd and charge the same as anyone else? How much do you want / need to charge?

Also consider how much will it cost you to do the job - time / is travelling involved etc...
Yea but I just wanted a general idea of what I could/should charge, I was thinking around $20 since this is the first time I've ever charged for any photo work.
Old 13th of December 2007 (Thu)   #4
Rupuze

A general rule: Don't undercharge! Do you want to be known as a bargain photographer?
It's hard to get away from a label like that.
Rupuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of December 2007 (Thu)   #5
sfaust
Goldmember

Are you just selling the usgae, in the sense that the portrait is already taken and they just want to use it on their website?

Or are you also taking the photograph as well.

In the former, $20 may or may not be reasonable. In the later, $20 doesn't even cover the drive to the location, or even testing and packing the equipment before hand.

For a photographer to show up at a client site, take portraits of say 4 individuals, process the images, and deliver them back to the client runs around $300-$600 in my area. Usage is typically included in those cases.

sfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of December 2007 (Fri)   #6
Nates98cbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaust View Post
Are you just selling the usgae, in the sense that the portrait is already taken and they just want to use it on their website?

Or are you also taking the photograph as well.

In the former, $20 may or may not be reasonable. In the later, $20 doesn't even cover the drive to the location, or even testing and packing the equipment before hand.

For a photographer to show up at a client site, take portraits of say 4 individuals, process the images, and deliver them back to the client runs around $300-$600 in my area. Usage is typically included in those cases.
I'll be taking the photo as well, there wouldn't be too much of a drive and I don't have much equipment yet (no lighting or backdrops), so packing the equipment isnt going to be bad either. It kinda sucks because it's a friend of my sister and I think she wants me to give her a good price. I don't know, this is tricky for me. It would prob consist of maybe two or three poses so to speak and would prob be done at my sister's house using a wall for the backdrop.
Old 14th of December 2007 (Fri)   #7
Hland

Im having this same problem! I have friends that want me to do there portraits, and i have no clue what ot price on and im like you i have no backdrops unless you add the sheets i use on my daughter when i do her shots but shes two there small. But other then that i have my camera lenses and flash thats it. They what was said you dont want to undercharge but for me being new at it and not having many portriats taken of others you dont want to overcharge to where they never want you to take ur pictures again. KWIM!
Hland is offline   Reply With Quote