When to use Metallic paper or normal glossy?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 14 Dec 2007 (Friday) 08:42   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

bphillips330
Joined Oct 2006
622 posts
ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

I ran 5 prints through Mpix / Whcc / Costco to do comparisons. Whcc gave the first 5 prints for free but they were on their luster of glossy not sure. When I put all 5 prints by each other from the three different labs (mpix was in mettalic, costco glossy, whcc (glossy or lustre?))

One of the pictures was a colorful sunset, the red's and oranges really *POP* with the metallic paper, along with a black and white i sent over. It is really hard to compare the three labs as They are on different paper. I am going to have to resend to labs so they are on same paper.

When do you all use metallic, glossy, luster, etc..............?

Post #1, Dec 14, 2007 08:42:24

Body : 50D and 400/xti + grip
Lenses: 50mm 1.8 II / Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 / kit len /
70-200 f2.8L IS!!!! / Canon 1.4 TC II / Sigma 70-300mm dl Macro super
Flash: 580 exII
A whole bunch of other goodies.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I use luster unless I have a good reason to use something else. Metallic is cool, but the effect gets old pretty quick. Having said that I just printed a few photos from my friends wedding for him, and I did them on metallic paper. I ordered a photo for (and of) myself on luster.

Post #2, Dec 14, 2007 13:54:22

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

showngo
Joined Oct 2007
250 posts
Lakewood, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

I always use lustre, the only time I switch up the paper type I use is for a special image that sits on a cover or intro image to a project.

Post #3, Dec 14, 2007 15:04:11

Ben
My Gearexternal link

Trainboy
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
2,541 posts
Canadian Pacific Railway headquarters
[MORE/SHARE]

What's the difference between lustre and glossy? I've always done glossy before (except for framing)

Post #4, Dec 14, 2007 16:19:07

www.matthicksphoto.comexternal link

showngo
Joined Oct 2007
250 posts
Lakewood, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

Glossy is just that, very glossy and smooth finish to the paper. It often has bad glare when viewing in bright areas, over saturation and susceptible to finger prints and smudges. Lustre is not a semi-gloss or matte, nor gloss. It is between semi-gloss and gloss. Has more of a texture to it, and the best color accuracy IMHO.

It is like the difference between and Anti-glare LCD and a Glossy Screen LCD. Both have their uses.

What does everybody else think?

Oh and biggest difference is price ;)

Post #5, Dec 14, 2007 16:26:29

Ben
My Gearexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Sauk
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
4,148 posts
Sandy, UT
[MORE/SHARE]

so what are the advantages of metallic?

Post #6, Dec 14, 2007 20:48:32

Name: Matt | Feedback |
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,501 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

AthleticsPhotog wrote in post #4507080external link
so what are the advantages of metallic?

It's shiny, it has a wow factor because not many people have seen it. Colors are very vibrant.

Post #7, Dec 14, 2007 23:23:46

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

buddy4344
Joined Nov 2006
914 posts
Allentown, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

I just had printed at Adorama two 20x30 posters of some African wildlife I shot (they were running a sale and these were only $10 each plus shipping!) onlly choices were metallic paper or glossy. The metallic really surprised me. The elephants looked alive with that paper. The lion didn't like the paper as well :(

Post #8, Feb 24, 2008 12:59:03

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 30D, 300D, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400L IS, 24-105L IS, 400DO IS, 500L IS. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,864 views & 0 likes for this thread
When to use Metallic paper or normal glossy?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES