Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 14 Dec 2007 (Friday) 08:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

When to use Metallic paper or normal glossy?

bphillips330
634 posts
Joined Oct 2006
ohio
Dec 14, 2007 08:42 |  #1

I ran 5 prints through Mpix / Whcc / Costco to do comparisons. Whcc gave the first 5 prints for free but they were on their luster of glossy not sure. When I put all 5 prints by each other from the three different labs (mpix was in mettalic, costco glossy, whcc (glossy or lustre?))

One of the pictures was a colorful sunset, the red's and oranges really *POP* with the metallic paper, along with a black and white i sent over. It is really hard to compare the three labs as They are on different paper. I am going to have to resend to labs so they are on same paper.

When do you all use metallic, glossy, luster, etc..............?

Body : 50D and 400/xti + grip
Lenses: 50mm 1.8 II / Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 / kit len /
70-200 f2.8L IS!!!! / Canon 1.4 TC II / Sigma 70-300mm dl Macro super
Flash: 580 exII
A whole bunch of other goodies.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,529 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Dec 14, 2007 13:54 |  #2

I use luster unless I have a good reason to use something else. Metallic is cool, but the effect gets old pretty quick. Having said that I just printed a few photos from my friends wedding for him, and I did them on metallic paper. I ordered a photo for (and of) myself on luster.

Professional wedding photographer, engineer.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

showngo
250 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Lakewood, WA
Dec 14, 2007 15:04 |  #3

I always use lustre, the only time I switch up the paper type I use is for a special image that sits on a cover or intro image to a project.

Ben
My Gearexternal link

Matthew ­ Hicks ­ Photography
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dec 14, 2007 16:19 |  #4

What's the difference between lustre and glossy? I've always done glossy before (except for framing)

Calgary Wedding Photography by Matthew Hicks: www.matthicksphoto.com (external link)

showngo
250 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Lakewood, WA
Dec 14, 2007 16:26 |  #5

Glossy is just that, very glossy and smooth finish to the paper. It often has bad glare when viewing in bright areas, over saturation and susceptible to finger prints and smudges. Lustre is not a semi-gloss or matte, nor gloss. It is between semi-gloss and gloss. Has more of a texture to it, and the best color accuracy IMHO.

It is like the difference between and Anti-glare LCD and a Glossy Screen LCD. Both have their uses.

What does everybody else think?

Oh and biggest difference is price ;)

Ben
My Gearexternal link

Sauk
Goldmember
4,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Sandy, UT
Dec 14, 2007 20:48 |  #6

so what are the advantages of metallic?

Name: Matt | Feedback |
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,529 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Dec 14, 2007 23:23 |  #7

AthleticsPhotog wrote in post #4507080external link
so what are the advantages of metallic?

It's shiny, it has a wow factor because not many people have seen it. Colors are very vibrant.

Professional wedding photographer, engineer.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

buddy4344
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
Allentown, PA
Feb 24, 2008 12:59 |  #8

I just had printed at Adorama two 20x30 posters of some African wildlife I shot (they were running a sale and these were only $10 each plus shipping!) onlly choices were metallic paper or glossy. The metallic really surprised me. The elephants looked alive with that paper. The lion didn't like the paper as well :(

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

sponsored links

10,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
When to use Metallic paper or normal glossy?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.