Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 19 Dec 2007 (Wednesday) 02:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Twilight over London - Thames, London Eye & Westminster

Wazza
Cream of the Crop
10,627 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Queenstown, New Zealand
Dec 19, 2007 02:31 |  #1

Following from my previous thread, a couple of days later I was with adam* again and made our way to Golden Jubilee Bridges (which is an addition to the Hungerford Bridge rail bridge). An amazing view for photographs, in the right given light.

IMAGE: http://www.warrenwilliams.co.nz/2007/DEC_0270.jpg
Super wide and super distorted

IMAGE: http://www.warrenwilliams.co.nz/2007/DEC_0258.jpg
100% crop of the moon, with adam's 70-200 2.8 (Non IS)

IMAGE: http://www.warrenwilliams.co.nz/2007/DEC_0276.jpg
Many aircraft could be seen streaming across the sky

IMAGE: http://www.warrenwilliams.co.nz/2007/DEC_0278.jpg
Peoples flashes from within the capsules on London Eye can be seen during the long exposure (about 1min)

New Zealand Photography Tours (external link) | Williams Photography - Queenstown Wedding Photography (external link) |
Instagram (external link) | Facebook - Weddings (external link) | Facebook - Landscapes + Tours (external link)

sponsored links
misfit
249 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Dec 19, 2007 02:39 |  #2

Number 3 for me. Has a more calming and gentle feel to it, gives the London Eye just the right amount of motion without it looking like a bicycle wheel. Well done wazza.

regards

Bryan

Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EOS 60D EF 18-55mm (Kit Lens), EF 28-135mm,EF 50mm 1.8 Mk II, MP-E 65mm, EF-100mm F2.8, EF-70-200mm F4L, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 300 F2.8, Sigma 50-500 F4:6.3 APO DG.

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,830 posts
Joined Feb 2006
London
Dec 19, 2007 02:55 |  #3

The last two work best for me, I can't decide between them though. I know you don't like cropping, but I would have gone for a crop in between. There's a bit too much empty space at the top of #3, and the contrail and moon distract in my opinion (though I presume you zoomed out in this one to capture the moon).

Photos from Iceland (external link) | Lake District (external link) | Isle of Lewis (external link) | Macros (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Dec 19, 2007 03:06 |  #4

very cool - are you sure you're not cloning in the skies from Piha? :-)
Don't think I've ever seen that area cloudless...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Matt ­ Peters
Cream of the Crop
12,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Bracknell, England
Dec 19, 2007 03:19 |  #5

Nice shots, think I need to head up next week!

The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)
1D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 MKII | 430ex x2 | RF-602 triggers x4

vulcan2912
547 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Workington,Cumbria
Dec 19, 2007 03:53 |  #6

Hi Warren

Another nice set.I think I prefer the last one and that's probably because the frame is filled a bit more than on the others.Did you by any chance take a picture of the wheel from that location in portrait format.Just holding a piece of paper as a mask in front of the screen shows that it would be a cracking shot.

Cheers
Gary

www.garyforsyth.smugmu​g.comexternal link

Fuji Finepix

john_s
579 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Preston, Lancashire, UK
Dec 19, 2007 06:09 |  #7

Great shots.

Last one's my pick of the bunch.

If Daylight is an all-powerful goddess, Flash is a Wanton
bitch who likes it rough. Dress her up in garishly coloured gels,
force her into all the darkest, dingiest places, bounce her off walls,
and she'll love you for it. - Bob Carlos Clarke

Wazza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,627 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Queenstown, New Zealand
Dec 19, 2007 12:48 |  #8

misfit wrote in post #4532893external link
Number 3 for me. Has a more calming and gentle feel to it, gives the London Eye just the right amount of motion without it looking like a bicycle wheel. Well done wazza.

regards

Bryan

Thanks Bryan for your nice words

curiousgeorge wrote in post #4532919external link
The last two work best for me, I can't decide between them though. I know you don't like cropping, but I would have gone for a crop in between. There's a bit too much empty space at the top of #3, and the contrail and moon distract in my opinion (though I presume you zoomed out in this one to capture the moon).

Thanks I do like 4 myself, however looking at 3, with the page partially scrolled up, looks much better with the top 20% cropped off :) - And yeah, was only shot that wide to get in the moon

joeseph wrote in post #4532951external link
very cool - are you sure you're not cloning in the skies from Piha? :-)
Don't think I've ever seen that area cloudless...

Cheers Duncan, yeah unlike Piha where the skies look like that everyday, this was a rare ocurrence. But to be honest, not that stunning, very dull sky. Only the 1D and filters managed to make it look not so bad.

p33vve wrote in post #4532983external link
Nice shots, think I need to head up next week!

Yeah sounds good! Cheers

vulcan2912 wrote in post #4533043external link
Hi Warren

Another nice set.I think I prefer the last one and that's probably because the frame is filled a bit more than on the others.Did you by any chance take a picture of the wheel from that location in portrait format.Just holding a piece of paper as a mask in front of the screen shows that it would be a cracking shot.

Cheers
Gary

Unfortunately I didn't and my tripod mount is broken.. Can only support camera landscape mode. I did do a crop version of the last two pics, and agree they look good :)

john_s wrote in post #4533300external link
Great shots.

Last one's my pick of the bunch.

Thanks, glad you like the last also

New Zealand Photography Tours (external link) | Williams Photography - Queenstown Wedding Photography (external link) |
Instagram (external link) | Facebook - Weddings (external link) | Facebook - Landscapes + Tours (external link)

White ­ Satin
515 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Manchester UK
Dec 19, 2007 15:22 |  #9

Wazze stop with this beautiful photos I now have to go into manchester city centre to get some shots myself because, I so wanna to take some night photography and you`ve given me the kick to do so I just like your work.....

http://www.myspace.com​/janette35external link

Frank_Hollahan
Goldmember
2,715 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Dec 19, 2007 15:39 |  #10

#2 gets my vote, it has the best composition and gives a good feel of the better perspective.

Wazza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,627 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Queenstown, New Zealand
Dec 20, 2007 02:17 |  #11

White Satin wrote in post #4536048external link
Wazze stop with this beautiful photos I now have to go into manchester city centre to get some shots myself because, I so wanna to take some night photography and you`ve given me the kick to do so I just like your work.....

Thanks mate, it's good to now I've encouraged someone to get out, despite the cold!
Share the examples once you do so

Frank_Hollahan wrote in post #4536170external link
#2 gets my vote, it has the best composition and gives a good feel of the better perspective.

Cheers Frank again :)

BitterSweet
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Idaho
Dec 20, 2007 06:30 |  #12

#3 is my favorite. The ferris wheel makes me a little dizzy since it looks like it's going really fast. The only thing I don't like about it though is the movement under the bridge because it seems out of place.But you had no control over that so. Great Shot.

Tracey McCloskey
www.Bitter-Sweet-Photography.comexternal link
Model Mayhem Link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/bittersweetphotog​raphyexternal link

Wazza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,627 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Queenstown, New Zealand
Dec 20, 2007 16:19 |  #13

Thanks Tracey, don't get too sick ;)
With that 3rd one, I really can't figure out why the dark capsules are showing clearly in the photo. It's a 66 second shutter speed, and really I would have expected to be a fainter blur evenly all around.. UNLESS they stopped the wheel for about 30 seconds, and then resumed it.

khall
Goldmember
3,803 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Wollongong Australia.
Dec 20, 2007 20:58 |  #14

Great pictures you have made London look soft and gentle. They all look so placid.
Enjoy your holiday and have a "Great Christmas"

YNWA.

352McCoy
326 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Washington State
Feb 27, 2008 07:47 |  #15

This is a terrific set of photos of London. Number three works the best for me!

352McCoy;)
Using the Canon xti, 85mm f1.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 L

sponsored links

10,011 views & 0 likes for this thread
Twilight over London - Thames, London Eye & Westminster
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.