Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of December 2007 (Sat)   #1
buffytwin

Default Lens error, restart Camera

Hi there, I dropped my camera and now the lens will not close. When I turn it on it makes a very high pitch sound and you can hear its trying to move the lens, it moves a tiny bit then the error comes up on my camera and turns itself off. Are there any possible fixes I can try myself? I really want my camera over Xmas, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
buffytwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of December 2007 (Sat)   #2
rpolitsr

Default Re: Lens error, restart Camera

Somebody posted the link bellow in a ‘G9 lens error’ thread recently:

http://www.e18error.com/

It includes some fixing procedures.

Good luck

Canon powershot Pro1, EOS RebelXT, EF-S 18-55mm II, speedlite 420EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries

"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."
rpolitsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of December 2007 (Sat)   #3
d30gaijin
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffytwin View Post
Hi there, I dropped my camera and now the lens will not close. When I turn it on it makes a very high pitch sound and you can hear its trying to move the lens, it moves a tiny bit then the error comes up on my camera and turns itself off. Are there any possible fixes I can try myself? I really want my camera over Xmas, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Welcome to the world of the infamous Canon e18 error. You have a lot of company.

The previous message provides the web site that will let you know what you're in for.

Best of luck.

Don
d30gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of December 2007 (Sat)   #4
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Telescoping lenses are common design elements in the ongoing quest for smaller cameras. They're also highly susceptible to damage. Canon doesn't have a monopoly on this problem.
T90 and stuff | F-1n, New F-1, FTb and more stuff out on loan
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #5
d30gaijin
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Telescoping lenses are common design elements in the ongoing quest for smaller cameras. They're also highly susceptible to damage. Canon doesn't have a monopoly on this problem.
No but they sure have a monopoly on e18 error.
d30gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #6
simwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by d30gaijin View Post
Well personally I'd rather get e18 telling me there's a lens error than just the camera shutting up, or simply error appearing as with most cameras.
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #7
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by d30gaijin View Post
Because everyone else has their own name for it. You thought there was an industry standard for error messages?
T90 and stuff | F-1n, New F-1, FTb and more stuff out on loan
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #8
WorkingClassHero

Chalk up another one. Our A570IS has this problem. It's less than 6 months old, so back to Canon it goes.
Old 17th of April 2008 (Thu)   #9
billyb119

e18 error costs about 130.00 big ones if your camera is out of warrnty. is it worth fixing?
billyb119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of April 2008 (Thu)   #10
bayoubooger

DON"T drop the camera?

S5 IS and a few options, still reading.
bayoubooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of April 2008 (Thu)   #11
billyb119

I didn't drop it and there is no corrosion or sand in it. i wish it was that simple then i would at least have excuse.
billyb119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2008 (Sat)   #12
puttycat

I don't think dropping the camera is canons fault. the op stated that it was dropped, that seems bad for the camera ihmo.
puttycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of January 2010 (Sat)   #13
anytakers4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb119 View Post
e18 error costs about 130.00 big ones if your camera is out of warrnty. is it worth fixing?
It's totally worth fixing! I had a different problem on a Canon G9 which basically wouldn't turn on one day. If you go to www.CamerasAndParts.com they deal with problems on the Canon Powershot camera models, they don't work on any other brand. I had them take care of mine and I can tell you from experience that my camera came completely perfect again. They do the repair and they also do all of the service for the camera at the same time and it all comes included in their service package that they have on their site. I now have an SD870 that is having a lens error, I sending this one there too to have it serviced. I can only think there must be a defect with these cameras, why are so many people getting these lens errors? I'm sure Canon turns their back to the problem.

Amy
anytakers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of January 2010 (Sat)   #14
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself

Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anytakers4me View Post
It's totally worth fixing! I had a different problem on a Canon G9 which basically wouldn't turn on one day. If you go to www.CamerasAndParts.com they deal with problems on the Canon Powershot camera models, they don't work on any other brand. I had them take care of mine and I can tell you from experience that my camera came completely perfect again. They do the repair and they also do all of the service for the camera at the same time and it all comes included in their service package that they have on their site. I now have an SD870 that is having a lens error, I sending this one there too to have it serviced. I can only think there must be a defect with these cameras, why are so many people getting these lens errors? I'm sure Canon turns their back to the problem.

Amy
First...welcome to POTN Amy.

I'm pretty sure you will find that Canon hasn't turned their back on anything. If your camera is in warranty and it stops working...they will repair it for free. If your camera is out of warranty they will fix it for a fee. If you drop or otherwise damage your camera, they will fix it if it is possible to do, for a fee.

I don't know of any manufacturer that will repair a camera that was physically damaged by the user for free. And you can rest assured that Cameras and parts .com aren't going to fix it for free either. As for paying $139 to get the camera repaired, it really boils down to the cost of the camera initially....paying $139 to repair a camera that only costs $149 new seems rather foolish. In fact, I'm not sure I would pay that much to fix a $249 camera...I would probably save my pennies and buy new....while taking advantage of new features and a new warranty.
Woolburr is offline   Reply With Quote