FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 22 Dec 2007 (Saturday) 11:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

buffytwin
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2007
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi there, I dropped my camera and now the lens will not close. When I turn it on it makes a very high pitch sound and you can hear its trying to move the lens, it moves a tiny bit then the error comes up on my camera and turns itself off. Are there any possible fixes I can try myself? I really want my camera over Xmas, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Post #1, Dec 22, 2007 11:50:49

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
5,458 posts
Quito - Ecuador
[MORE/SHARE]

Somebody posted the link bellow in a ‘G9 lens error’ thread recently:

http://www.e18error.co​m/external link

It includes some fixing procedures.

Good luck

Post #2, Dec 22, 2007 12:10:52

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

d30gaijin
Joined Nov 2007
57 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

buffytwin wrote in post #4552193external link
Hi there, I dropped my camera and now the lens will not close. When I turn it on it makes a very high pitch sound and you can hear its trying to move the lens, it moves a tiny bit then the error comes up on my camera and turns itself off. Are there any possible fixes I can try myself? I really want my camera over Xmas, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome to the world of the infamous Canon e18 error. You have a lot of company.

The previous message provides the web site that will let you know what you're in for.

Best of luck.

Don

Post #3, Dec 22, 2007 20:17:56

Leica IIIc Nikon F Nikon F2 Nikon FE Pentax SII Pentax SPF Leica M6 X 2 Leica R5 Contax G1 Canon D30 Canon Rebel Ti Leica 0 Canon10D Canon G5 Pentax *istDS Canon SD1000 Samsung NV15 Canon G9 Canon 40D and too many lenses to list but they run from 16mm to 280, none of which are third party.
Wow! Does that qualify me for anything?

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,184 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Telescoping lenses are common design elements in the ongoing quest for smaller cameras. They're also highly susceptible to damage. Canon doesn't have a monopoly on this problem.

Post #4, Dec 22, 2007 20:21:54

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

d30gaijin
Joined Nov 2007
57 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Jon wrote in post #4554459external link
Telescoping lenses are common design elements in the ongoing quest for smaller cameras. They're also highly susceptible to damage. Canon doesn't have a monopoly on this problem.

No but they sure have a monopoly on e18 error.

Post #5, Dec 23, 2007 00:30:35

Leica IIIc Nikon F Nikon F2 Nikon FE Pentax SII Pentax SPF Leica M6 X 2 Leica R5 Contax G1 Canon D30 Canon Rebel Ti Leica 0 Canon10D Canon G5 Pentax *istDS Canon SD1000 Samsung NV15 Canon G9 Canon 40D and too many lenses to list but they run from 16mm to 280, none of which are third party.
Wow! Does that qualify me for anything?

sponsored links
simwells
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
1,504 posts
Sheffield, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

d30gaijin wrote in post #4555510external link

Well personally I'd rather get e18 telling me there's a lens error than just the camera shutting up, or simply error appearing as with most cameras.

Post #6, Dec 23, 2007 01:57:25

Gear List

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,184 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

d30gaijin wrote in post #4555510external link

Because everyone else has their own name for it. You thought there was an industry standard for error messages?

Post #7, Dec 23, 2007 07:46:52

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

WorkingClassHero
Joined Jan 2007
687 posts
ɹǝpun uʍop
[MORE/SHARE]

Chalk up another one. Our A570IS has this problem. It's less than 6 months old, so back to Canon it goes.

Post #8, Jan 12, 2008 18:32:04

ALAN
Gear List

billyb119
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2008
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

e18 error costs about 130.00 big ones if your camera is out of warrnty. is it worth fixing?

Post #9, Apr 17, 2008 19:47:50

bayoubooger
Joined Feb 2006
101 posts
29.66N~95.49W
[MORE/SHARE]

DON"T drop the camera?

Post #10, Apr 17, 2008 19:51:28 as a reply to billyb119's post 3 minutes earlier.

:lol:"The chief enemy of creativity is good taste." Picasso
S5 IS and a few options, still reading.

billyb119
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2008
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I didn't drop it and there is no corrosion or sand in it. i wish it was that simple then i would at least have excuse.

Post #11, Apr 17, 2008 19:55:01

sponsored links
puttycat
Joined Mar 2008
77 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think dropping the camera is canons fault. the op stated that it was dropped, that seems bad for the camera ihmo.

Post #12, Apr 19, 2008 09:51:06

Changing the world in insignificant ways

anytakers4me
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2010
7 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

billyb119 wrote in post #5351421external link
e18 error costs about 130.00 big ones if your camera is out of warrnty. is it worth fixing?

It's totally worth fixing! I had a different problem on a Canon G9 which basically wouldn't turn on one day. If you go to www.CamerasAndParts.co​mexternal link they deal with problems on the Canon Powershot camera models, they don't work on any other brand. I had them take care of mine and I can tell you from experience that my camera came completely perfect again. They do the repair and they also do all of the service for the camera at the same time and it all comes included in their service package that they have on their site. I now have an SD870 that is having a lens error, I sending this one there too to have it serviced. I can only think there must be a defect with these cameras, why are so many people getting these lens errors? I'm sure Canon turns their back to the problem.

Amy

Post #13, Jan 09, 2010 16:44:30

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
66,284 posts
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
[MORE/SHARE]

anytakers4me wrote in post #9360274external link
It's totally worth fixing! I had a different problem on a Canon G9 which basically wouldn't turn on one day. If you go to www.CamerasAndParts.co​mexternal link they deal with problems on the Canon Powershot camera models, they don't work on any other brand. I had them take care of mine and I can tell you from experience that my camera came completely perfect again. They do the repair and they also do all of the service for the camera at the same time and it all comes included in their service package that they have on their site. I now have an SD870 that is having a lens error, I sending this one there too to have it serviced. I can only think there must be a defect with these cameras, why are so many people getting these lens errors? I'm sure Canon turns their back to the problem.

Amy

First...welcome to POTN Amy.

I'm pretty sure you will find that Canon hasn't turned their back on anything. If your camera is in warranty and it stops working...they will repair it for free. If your camera is out of warranty they will fix it for a fee. If you drop or otherwise damage your camera, they will fix it if it is possible to do, for a fee.

I don't know of any manufacturer that will repair a camera that was physically damaged by the user for free. And you can rest assured that Cameras and parts .com aren't going to fix it for free either. As for paying $139 to get the camera repaired, it really boils down to the cost of the camera initially....paying $139 to repair a camera that only costs $149 new seems rather foolish. In fact, I'm not sure I would pay that much to fix a $249 camera...I would probably save my pennies and buy new....while taking advantage of new features and a new warranty.

Post #14, Jan 09, 2010 16:59:59

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
40,940 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens error, restart Camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES