Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #1
Stinky_1

Default Rebel XTi shows "Busy" a LOT! HELP

Hello everyone,

I purchased a Rebel XTi about 2 months ago now. I am VERY happy with the pictures I have been able to get so far. I am by no means an expert photographer, but love to shoot pics anyway. So I figured this camera would be a good balance between advanced features, and noob ability.

Now, for my problem.

I am finding that when I first turn it on I am able to snap rapid shots for about 10 - 15 pictures with no problem. The whole while my "max burst shot" counter never goes off from "9". Its my understanding that if I can no longer shoot as many pics that counter will go down. And I have in fact seen it do that on more than one occasion.

For some reason though, after my first quick burst of pics I can only snap one picture, then it says "BUSY" on the screen and in the viewfinder. It stays like that for what seems like a long time. Anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute.

If I hold the shutter half way it will still focus the shot, but refuse to snap a pic. The "CF" light on the back is NOT blinking at all. At first I thought it was because I am using a "slower" memory card. And that its taking time to transfer my first burst to the card. But I would guess no light means no transfer.

I have tried different settings on the camera itself. Even reverted to default settings. If I shut the camera off then wait 1 minute and turn it back on I can still only shoot one pic at a time followed by a LONG "busy", then when it goes away I can shoot one more pic, followed by more busy.

I tried looking through the manual to see what it says about this, and to my surorise nothing is shown at all about it. It does not even say what the busy display shows for. So I have no where to even start guessing.

I have found that I get the error worse when I shoot in low light, or if I am using ANY lens on the closer zoom settings.

If my subject is near, and the zoom is back off as far as possible in good light, I seem to have no problems at all.

I have also tried charging the battery to full figuring it was waiting for the flash, but that does not seem to make a difference. And the flash seems to have no problem bursting for the first 20 shots, why would it take 30 seconds to charge for ever after that??

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have missed a few good shots all ready for this busy sign. And with Christmas only a few days away I would HATE to have to wait for the camera. One of the reasons I bought this was because of the speed of pics. My A610 worked great, but could not shoot as many shots as this one in a row, and was VERY slow to start up.
Stinky_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #2
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Default Re: Rebel XTi shows "Busy" a LOT! HELP

Is it happening when using on-board flash?

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #3
Stinky_1

yes, sorry. I should have specified. That is with the on board flash.

I suppose a good way to eliminate that as a suspect would be to throw my external flash on there and see if it still happens.

Good thinking. I will try that right away and post back in a few minutes.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #4
Stinky_1

ok, so first test......

The camera keeps shooting on and on with no problems. One thing to note, the flash is NOT keeping up with the pictures. So I shoot 3 shots in a row, only ONE of them would have the flash going. The camera does not get any feedback to say that the flash is not ready, so it just chugs along assuming that the flash is working just fine.

I would have tested more, but my CF card got full on me. So I am dumping it to the PC right now and will try "round 2" in a few more minutes.

So far though, it looks like it may be an issue with the flash.

thanks for the help so far. And hope to get more in the future.
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #5
jiggling_john

im not sure your onboard flash will or is meant to keep up...
Canon 40D :: 50mm f1.8 mk II :: 17-40mm f4 L :: EX 430 :: Canon EOS 50 :: Canon AE-1 Program :: FD 50mm f1.8 :: FD 28mm f2.8 :: FD 135mm f3.5 :: Ilford HP5 Film :: Developing kit. No website, nothing serious, I just like taking photos
jiggling_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #6
smallpotatoes

Page 54 of the manual mentions that this will happen to protect your flash.

Jaci
smallpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #7
Stinky_1

awsome, thank you for the help. I guess its giving it time to let the flash cool down to keep the circuitry in tact?

I will have to slow down a bit I guess.

Thanks guys.
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #8
Corejonp1

I'm no camera expert, but Atleast based on my limited electronics background, The time between flashes is partly determined by the capacitors ability to recharge, also, probably to keep the light element from over heating..
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #9
timbop
Goldmember

get an external flash - they recycle much faster and are much stronger.

Formerly: 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, 550ex, 430ex
timbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2007 (Sun)   #10
ALaS
Goldmember

the "on board" flash recycles very slow.
ALaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of December 2007 (Wed)   #11
jdharris

I don't know if this will help you since you do have an external flash, but I too have noticed the BUSY issue when using the onboard flash. It has been random for me, where I could be a in a fast sequence of shots, or just took a picture a moment ago and now I am ready to take another. Either way, it is annoying, but I did find a way around it. Use the dial to change from one mode to another and then back to your original mode (Like Av to M and then back to Av). This will get you one more quick shot, but I wouldn't suggest doing this too frequently if the issue actually is with allowing the flash components to cool off so you don't overheat them.

http://jdharrisphotography.wordpress.com/
jdharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of December 2007 (Wed)   #12
mai_lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbop View Post
get an external flash - they recycle much faster and are much stronger.
agreed - this is why my christmas gifts included a 430ex... I can't STAND the onboard flash... it super sux

Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM, Speedlite 580EX II

mai_lin is offline   Reply With Quote