Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of December 2007 (Fri)   #31
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Default Re: US DOT [Department Of Tranportations] Sets Lithium Battery Limit for Carry on lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWright View Post
It's nice t know the federal government will eventually regulate air travel right of exsistence. There will be so many so called "safety" and "security" regulations in place nobody will want to put up with the hassle of flying.
Good.

Then I can sue the Feds for "Restraint Of Trade" and retire. If I can't fly, I can't persue my usual line of work so let 'em bring on all the regs they want.

Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #32
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Default Re: US DOT [Department Of Tranportations] Sets Lithium Battery Limit for Carry on lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
That's almost exactly wrong.

No lithium batteries in checked luggage, except installed in equipment. You're not really going to put your camera in your checked luggage, so just figure "no lithium batteries in your checked luggage".

Take all the lithium batteries that you want in your carry-ons, as long as they aren't the mongo batteries. The ones for your camera are way too small to be of concern—even ordinary laptop batteries are okay and they're gigantic compared with camera batteries. You can also take 2 mongo batteries in your carry-ons.

The thing about the plastic is not a requirement, it's a recommendation.
This thing is confusing as heck. I reread it several times and each time it reads differently. But it does sound to me as if I am limited to three batteries. One in the equipment, and two wrapped in plastic.

"However, the rule limits individuals to bringing only two extended-life spare rechargeable lithium batteries, such as laptop and professional audio/video/camera equipment lithium batteries in carry-on baggage."

So, is it two per piece of equipment or two total. I have a PDA, two cameras, laptop, and cell phone all with Li batteries. So does that mean three batteries total or fifteen batteries total?

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #33
Bill Boehme
Enjoy being spanked

How difficult can this be to understand? Stand by for a mandatory group training exercise. See your department manager for a training charge number:

OK, everybody repeat after me,
"No spare uninstalled batteries in checked baggage"!

"No batteries in baggies, no loose batteries, no batteries in a sock with your loose change and paper clips"!

"Nada, none, zip, No way, Jose"!

If you want to carry spare batteries, they MUST be in your carry-on baggage. It would be very smart to put them in a plastic bag (the TSA inspectors will be impressed and may even overlook the cattle prod). Most of the Canon batteries that I know of also have a plastic shield to protect the terminals -- you did keep it didn't you? It has a purpose -- that is why Canon provided it with the battery. The new rule is not a stupid regulation -- it is there to protect the majority of us from the few people who don't get it.

Well, OK, I will admit that there are some dumb regulations. How the heck are we supposed to whip business partners, clients, customers, and hangers-on into shape without the necessary tools at our disposal, i.e.: cattle prods, hand grenades, and gasoline.
Bill Boehme is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #34
koalawalla

Default Re: New TSA rules for flying with Lithium Ion batteries. Better read if you fly!

Aww shucks. Guess i'll have to leave my Energizer e2 car battery at home.
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #35
defordphoto
MKIII Aficionado

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA! As typical, clear as mud.

An austere and pleasant poetry of the real. Ansel Adams
defordphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #36
Jonathan
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: New TSA rules for flying with Lithium Ion batteries. Better read if you fly!

I think that given the large number of planes falling from the sky in fireballs that this is a sensible move. It's the duty of all governments to protect their citizenry from threats such as this. The scandalous loss of life caused by these lithium fueled fires has gone on for too long now. It's just a pity that European governments have failed to take action on this.

Must go - the nurse wants her computer back

My blog site
My Gear List
My Flickr
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #37
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemminglover View Post
I think that given the large number of planes falling from the sky in fireballs that this is a sensible move. It's the duty of all governments to protect their citizenry from threats such as this. The scandalous loss of life caused by these lithium fueled fires has gone on for too long now. It's just a pity that European governments have failed to take action on this.

Must go - the nurse wants her computer back
YOU OWE ME A NEW KEYBOARD...!!!

Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #38
modemanual

Wait, so if i have 4 batteries for my XT, and 2 are in the grip, am i safe?
modemanual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #39
Tom W
Canon Fanosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill boehme View Post
It is very clear and straightforward. I think that this is a good rule as many if not most people do not recognize the fire hazard associated with lithium-ion batteries. In-flight fires are probably the leading root cause of aircraft fatalities. Such type of air transportation regulations are nothing new. Having been an aircraft owner and pilot for around 30 years, I am familiar with air safety regulations. The NTSB is the organization responsible for overseeing air safety and the FAA creates regulations based on findings and recommendations from the NTSB.
I think that if in-flight fires are really a problem, then they could just ban Sony laptop Lithium Ion batteries to resolve the issue.

Seriously, if there's some concern among us intelligent people as to the correct method of carrying spare batteries, imagine how hard it will be for the security people to figure it out.
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #40
Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!

That's freaking rediculious!

The conditions that it would take to set one of those things on fire is not going to happen on the plane unless the plane itself catches fire.

Just someone at DHS trying to justify their job!
Medic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #41
Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill boehme View Post
How difficult can this be to understand? Stand by for a mandatory group training exercise. See your department manager for a training charge number:

OK, everybody repeat after me,
"No spare uninstalled batteries in checked baggage"!

"No batteries in baggies, no loose batteries, no batteries in a sock with your loose change and paper clips"!

"Nada, none, zip, No way, Jose"!

If you want to carry spare batteries, they MUST be in your carry-on baggage. It would be very smart to put them in a plastic bag (the TSA inspectors will be impressed and may even overlook the cattle prod). Most of the Canon batteries that I know of also have a plastic shield to protect the terminals -- you did keep it didn't you? It has a purpose -- that is why Canon provided it with the battery. The new rule is not a stupid regulation -- it is there to protect the majority of us from the few people who don't get it.

Well, OK, I will admit that there are some dumb regulations. How the heck are we supposed to whip business partners, clients, customers, and hangers-on into shape without the necessary tools at our disposal, i.e.: cattle prods, hand grenades, and gasoline.
No problem there...I wouldn't check my camera gear anyway. I don't trust anyone handling my luggage. Period.
Medic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #42
CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales

Default This Just In - Lithium Batteries Not Allowed in Checked Airline Luggage

I just saw this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22421190/

Starting in January, loose lithium batteries will be banned in checked luggage, but allowed in the carry-on.

Soon I'm going to need a PC app to use when I pack to know what's allowed and what can go where. . .

Have Fun,

My Gear list
CoolToolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #43
Doug Pardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl711 View Post
"However, the rule limits individuals to bringing only two extended-life spare rechargeable lithium batteries, such as laptop and professional audio/video/camera equipment lithium batteries in carry-on baggage."
They are referring to the batteries with over 8 grams of lithium each. These are huge batteries that weigh a number of pounds and have capacities measured in watt-hours (and generally over 100 w/h at that).

Camera batteries contain less than a gram of lithium. You can take all of those that you want in your carry-on. The big change is that you cannot put them in your checked luggage.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #44
woloi

Not that I'd ever advocate doing something wrong...but who's going to notice? My dad made me a camera bag out of a small messenger bag, and it has a little zipper pouch. In that pouch I have three spare batteries for my XTi, along with a charger and a spare CF card. When I flew back and forth to Aruba last week (which included two security checkpoints in Aruba...I don't know why), not one of the security agents bothered to even open the bag. How would they know how many batteries I'm carrying?

It's a stupid, unenforceable rule, unless they start making everyone empty their bags out on a table. If they do that, I certainly hope the people revolt.
Old 29th of December 2007 (Sat)   #45
Doug Pardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybfan View Post
So, if I have my camera with 2 batteries in the grip, my laptop with 1 battery in it, and 2 extra batteries in separate bags I'm o.k.? It sounds like I can only have the batteries that are installed in my camera and laptop and that's all. if I have any extras they have to be in my checked luggage.
No, that's not right at all. You can take all of the camera batteries that you want in your carry-on. You cannot put any in your checked luggage unless they're installed in equipment, and I suspect you're not likely to put your camera into your checked luggage so just figure "no batteries in the checked luggage".

Quote:
Sounds like I can only have 2 Li-on batteries total.
Two extended life batteries. Those are huge things, weighing a number of pounds each, with capacities measured in watt-hours (not mAh). Your camera batteries aren't extended life batteries. You can take all of the camera batteries that you want but you must keep them in your carry-on.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote