Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News > Rumors > Camera Rumors and Predictions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of January 2008 (Sun)   #16
John_TX

Default Re: I'm so excited about the update of the XTI

Sensors are just like cpu's and for the most part, Moore's Law should be fairly applicable. In the electronics industry, 18 months is like 5-7 years in other sectors. There's no way Canon would just sit around and put a 2+ year old sensor back into a new model.

There are a number of "must have" features the new Rebel has got to implement, or else the entire line will be well behind until the next refresh in August 2009. I don't think Canon can wait that long to include spot-metering, more accurate auto-focus, custom white balance, higher ISO range, greater sensor sensitivity, less noise, and higher frame rates.
John_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of January 2008 (Mon)   #17
sboerup

I've seen a number of 350D Cameras for less than $300.
sboerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of January 2008 (Tue)   #18
jiggling_john

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in upgrading the xti at the moment, its more than good enough as it is...
Canon 40D :: 50mm f1.8 mk II :: 17-40mm f4 L :: EX 430 :: Canon EOS 50 :: Canon AE-1 Program :: FD 50mm f1.8 :: FD 28mm f2.8 :: FD 135mm f3.5 :: Ilford HP5 Film :: Developing kit. No website, nothing serious, I just like taking photos
jiggling_john is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of January 2008 (Tue)   #19
jonnythan

Quote:
Originally Posted by derky82 View Post
I'm just rambling here but I'd be surprised if we see a Rebel series update this month! You really can't ask for too much more out of an entry level <$700 camera IMHO.

With the XTi already having the same resolution as the (brand new) 40D, sensor cleaning, the same LCD as the 30D and the bargain price tag i think the XTi is already an amazing piece of gear and is by no means "obselete".

</rambling>
A Digic III would be nice, I think. My girlfriend's new $150 Elph has one
jonnythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of January 2008 (Tue)   #20
jonnythan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_TX View Post
There are a number of "must have" features the new Rebel has got to implement, or else the entire line will be well behind until the next refresh in August 2009. I don't think Canon can wait that long to include spot-metering, more accurate auto-focus, custom white balance, higher ISO range, greater sensor sensitivity, less noise, and higher frame rates.
My XT does custom white balance. The XTi must do this as well, no?
jonnythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of January 2008 (Tue)   #21
olly_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by derky82 View Post
I'm just rambling here but I'd be surprised if we see a Rebel series update this month! You really can't ask for too much more out of an entry level <$700 camera IMHO.
</rambling>
Using that damn timer / shot selection button (which lets be honest, should be within the menu not wasted on a hard button!) for something more useful like direct ISO control (combo with wheel + viewfinder display) would be a fine upgrade in my opinion, and would be VERY easy for Canon to implement!
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #22
sboerup

It will be the Rebel XTs. Same sensor, 3" screen, live-view, dust remover (already had in XTi), increased noise and DR performance (gaining of 2 stops more or so claims Canon), support for UDMA cards, Digic3, Canon wireless master built in, improved AF performance and 4 new cross sensors around the center AF point. Lastly from what I hear it should be priced at $599. Not too shabby.
sboerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #23
w00tgasm

If thats the right price point.
I'll be snatching it A.S.A.P. =)
w00tgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #24
John_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboerup View Post
It will be the Rebel XTs. Same sensor, 3" screen, live-view, dust remover (already had in XTi), increased noise and DR performance (gaining of 2 stops more or so claims Canon), support for UDMA cards, Digic3, Canon wireless master built in, improved AF performance and 4 new cross sensors around the center AF point. Lastly from what I hear it should be priced at $599. Not too shabby.
XTS Just Released!!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Rebel_XTS.html
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #25
w00tgasm

Funny guy =P
w00tgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #26
John_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tgasm View Post
Funny guy =P
Yup! All joking aside, those are the features I'm hoping for as well.
I guess we'll know in less than 2 weeks.
Old 13th of January 2008 (Sun)   #27
BEEEsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly808 View Post
Because it means that 350D prices will plunge even lower, 350D as a backup/loaner body will be great. I'm waiting for 350D bodies to go below $350
Hate to break it to you, but the price isn't going to drop much more. Xti will become the base model at its current price and the Xt will go discontinued at its current price. The new model will debut at a $1000 body-only price.
BEEEsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of January 2008 (Sun)   #28
John_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEEsH View Post
The new model will debut at a $1000 body-only price.
NO way the 450D is going to be a $1000 body. I don't care how you slice it, Canon is not going to have the 450D @ $1000 and the 40D $1200. I'll bet the 450D has an MSRP of no more than $749 and a street price around $685 initially.
Old 17th of January 2008 (Thu)   #29
BEEEsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_TX View Post
NO way the 450D is going to be a $1000 body. I don't care how you slice it, Canon is not going to have the 450D @ $1000 and the 40D $1200. I'll bet the 450D has an MSRP of no more than $749 and a street price around $685 initially.

Won't happen. The 40D price is going to stay where it is, and if anything the 450D will debut @ $899-999, and eventually fall. (I'm talking Canadian prices) The Xti will become the base model at its current price.
BEEEsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2008 (Fri)   #30
danielyamseng
Goldmember

Precisely,otherwise sooner or later they'll have to ditch out those the XTi as a freebies during X'man
danielyamseng is offline   Reply With Quote