Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 05 Jan 2008 (Saturday) 07:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: -=WARNING FAKE RC-1 on E-bay=- :(

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Jan 05, 2008 07:37 |  #1

I think I got an elaborate fake. Just a warning that there might be some dodgy RC-1 Remote Controllers floating around. I got this off Ebay from a reputable seller too!

It looks fake to me and certainly performs poorly, it has stopped working after about 5 actuations. I lost my old real RC-1 so a comparison photo between the old and new unit is unfeasible but from memory the physical dimensions look the same.

However, the dodgy one is made of a much coarser, more bland plastic and the switches are very hard to change compared to my original. The new dodgy unit also doesn't have a shiny black finish like the original, it is much more of a subdued colour and rougher finish, but it still has the Canon logo etc.

In terms of the box, it's hard to tell from the photos, but the "fake" one has a more pixellated and over saturated, purple tinge, and also more of a shiny finish on the box than the original box (similar to the fake Pokemon trading cards I played when I was a kid...if anyone knows what I mean...:oops:)

I've let the seller know and will now see what happens. I think in the future I'll just spend the extra $15 AUD to get a real one from a shop. Saves a lot of trouble...my old one had much better range too! and it worked after 5 actuations :D

Spot the difference (Original one on the left, new dodgy one on the right) (Also note the quality differences in the included documentation)

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/2168833988_ded83c2b6c_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/2168847380_7517f99fda_b.jpg
Sorry about the WB!

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links
BrightStar
40 posts
Joined Oct 2007
UK
Jan 05, 2008 09:23 |  #2

I bought one off ebay and it the manual looks very similar to the one on right.
It also stopped working after a few clicks but then I replaced the batteries...working again.

Performance is overall very poor but then I thought may be that's how they are supposed to be!!!

:cool:

Corejonp1
270 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Clifton Park, Ny
Jan 05, 2008 14:45 as a reply to BrightStar's post |  #3

Good eye. I definately see the differance in packaging. I may still be a new guy, but from what i've learned so far, Canon does a great job of packiging their products. Also, the Instructions that came with the "possible" fake are very poorly folded compared to the instructions that have come with real Canon products. Its' sad, but eBay is becomming more and more a "Scam" bay.

Canon Rebel XT (350D) 18-55 kit lens & 50 Mk2.

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
35,741 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Jan 05, 2008 14:57 |  #4

Definitely a case of 'caveat emptor'!

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006
Columbia SC
Jan 05, 2008 16:29 |  #5

Have you asked Canon about it? Do they know (or even care)?

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.ukexternal link
www.sageworld.orgexternal link
www.sagephotoworld.comexternal link
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavensexternal link

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

Matt ­ Peters
Cream of the Crop
12,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Bracknell, England
Jan 05, 2008 16:54 |  #6

I brought one of ebay, stopped working after a few goes, changed the batteries & still not working! Got a cable release from canon & it works perfect!

The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)
1D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 MKII | 430ex x2 | RF-602 triggers x4

Denny ­ G
Goldmember
1,870 posts
Joined Jul 2004
On the border - US/Mexico
Jan 05, 2008 17:25 as a reply to Matt Peters's post |  #7

Why would anyone buy something from ebay and then come on a photo forum and ask if it's fake?

How does anyone here know?

Corejonp1
270 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Clifton Park, Ny
Jan 05, 2008 17:57 as a reply to Denny G's post |  #8

Honestly I can't say anyone knows for 100%. We can certanly look at the information given, and pictures to infer an opinion. Well, sometimes, you get on ebay, and see a good deal, and go for it, and then think "it was such a good deal...probably wasn't true". I had it happen to myself in the past with a compact flash card (which was taken care of). eBay can be fun, but also dangerous for the impulsive. The OP probably posted on here because many of the people here have, or had the acceory in question, and could probably shed light onto wether or not it is a fake.

Canon Rebel XT (350D) 18-55 kit lens & 50 Mk2.

Denny ­ G
Goldmember
1,870 posts
Joined Jul 2004
On the border - US/Mexico
Jan 05, 2008 18:11 as a reply to Corejonp1's post |  #9

Okay corejonp1, you have a point. You also nailed it when you said

"eBay can be fun, but also dangerous for the impulsive"

Anyway, if OP bought from a legit outfit, he should be able to return it.

pmk
675 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Greater Boston
Jan 05, 2008 18:18 as a reply to Corejonp1's post |  #10

I got a legit one from a legit dealer and it's pretty crappy too, so who knows. I wish Canon would make a decent unit worthy of ripping off. Seems like a lot to go through to replicate a sub-$20 product.

pmk

Canon 7D ~ S100 ~ Canon 24-105L IS~ Canon 100-400L ~ Canon 17-55 ~ Canon 10-22 ~ Canon 100 Macro ~ Canon 580EXII & 430EX ~ Gitzo GT2530 ~ All in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

Singlespeed Photographyexternal link

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Jan 05, 2008 18:31 |  #11

Denny G wrote in post #4638229external link
Why would anyone buy something from ebay and then come on a photo forum and ask if it's fake?

Well , what typically happens is other people check their boxes,packaging etc and discover the signs of a fake.

It happened with Sandisk CF cards, meaning that it's fairly simple to check the card you receive to see if it is genuine. If buying in a shop , you can check before paying.

In this case the red printing of "Remote Controller" may be the giveaway, making it possible to avoid buying online. (Untill the fake manufacturers modify the printing)

My experience has been the fake products have at least one obvious difference. It seems there may be some legal loophole being exploited as it seems unlikely they could make packaging so close to original but make such an obvious mistake.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006
Columbia SC
Jan 05, 2008 18:32 |  #12

I bought a wired remote for my 30D from some ebay vendor based in Hong Kong and got ripped off - it never arrived.

In my opinion, ebay is good if you're buying secondhand stuff. It's not good for anything else. Having said that the photo stuff I bought - with the exception of the Chinese stuff - is generally OK.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.ukexternal link
www.sageworld.orgexternal link
www.sagephotoworld.comexternal link
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavensexternal link

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

ajayclicks
877 posts
Joined May 2006
Bangalore, India
Jan 05, 2008 21:46 |  #13

I got a generic one from ebay HK for 3 USD, still works after dropping it for a few times

http://ajayclicks.comexternal link
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotographyexternal linkhttp://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicksexternal link

smorter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Jan 06, 2008 00:20 |  #14

Daku wrote in post #4635855external link
I bought one off ebay and it the manual looks very similar to the one on right.
It also stopped working after a few clicks but then I replaced the batteries...working again.

Performance is overall very poor but then I thought may be that's how they are supposed to be!!!

I found my old (real) one to be a fair performer. Indoors I could get up to 6-7metres of coverage sometimes. Often it would not fire but that was often due to the fact that it tries to autofocus and sometimes can't.

Corejonp1 wrote in post #4637386external link
Good eye. I definately see the differance in packaging. I may still be a new guy, but from what i've learned so far, Canon does a great job of packiging their products. Also, the Instructions that came with the "possible" fake are very poorly folded compared to the instructions that have come with real Canon products. Its' sad, but eBay is becomming more and more a "Scam" bay.

Yep the instructions is really dodgy, though it sort of reminds me of the stuff that came with my 50mm f/1.8 II :D I found Canon uses fairly thin paper for these type of instruction sheets though, this dodgy one was fairly thick.

Denny G wrote in post #4638229external link

Sorry this would be my indecisiveness's fault. This topic started out as a warning for others, but as I was typing I was worried that it actually is a real RC-1, just an inferior old version or something. I'm not convinced it is a genuine Canon now, I find it hard to believe they would let something that is packaged in such an inferior way hit the market. Also I notice it sounds like there are things moving inside that I didn't notice with my old one.

Roy Mathers wrote in post #4637437external link
Definitely a case of 'caveat emptor'!

Corejonp1 wrote in post #4638423external link
Well, sometimes, you get on ebay, and see a good deal, and go for it, and then think "it was such a good deal...probably wasn't true". I had it happen to myself in the past with a compact flash card (which was taken care of). eBay can be fun, but also dangerous for the impulsive. The OP probably posted on here because many of the people here have, or had the acceory in question, and could probably shed light onto wether or not it is a fake.

Yeah I agree, for something so cheap I thought I'd take the risk but in hindsight it wasn't worth it

rhys wrote in post #4637892external link
Have you asked Canon about it? Do they know (or even care)?

The seller said he'll replace it for me tomorrow, I think I'll ask him if it is a fake, I hope I don't offend him if it isn't or if he didn't know :confused:
I'm reluctant to tell Canon Australia because they'll probably just tell me to buy from authorised dealers in the future. I don't think they look favourably on Ebay parallel imports.

p33vve wrote in post #4638052external link
I brought one of ebay, stopped working after a few goes, changed the batteries & still not working! Got a cable release from canon & it works perfect!

lol same mirrors my experience (except for the cable release part, I'll check that out)

Denny G wrote in post #4638499external link
Okay corejonp1, you have a point. You also nailed it when you said

"eBay can be fun, but also dangerous for the impulsive"

Anyway, if OP bought from a legit outfit, he should be able to return it.

Yep the guy said I could get a replacement, if I get another dodgy one I'll ask him about it and if he says he's not sure I think I'll just go buy a legit one, I lose some cash but at least I get something that works

pmk wrote in post #4638540external link
I got a legit one from a legit dealer and it's pretty crappy too, so who knows. I wish Canon would make a decent unit worthy of ripping off. Seems like a lot to go through to replicate a sub-$20 product.
pmk

Yeah I agree lol, I think it wasn't worth the effort for something this relatively cheap. It looks like a fairly elaborate fake too with all the Canon carvings etc. it would have been a costly exercise.

Choderboy wrote in post #4638626external link
Well , what typically happens is other people check their boxes,packaging etc and discover the signs of a fake.

It happened with Sandisk CF cards, meaning that it's fairly simple to check the card you receive to see if it is genuine. If buying in a shop , you can check before paying.

In this case the red printing of "Remote Controller" may be the giveaway, making it possible to avoid buying online. (Untill the fake manufacturers modify the printing)

My experience has been the fake products have at least one obvious difference. It seems there may be some legal loophole being exploited as it seems unlikely they could make packaging so close to original but make such an obvious mistake.

:confused: I'd hate to be one of those poor people who got dudded on a memory card. Losing photos or even the camera due to getting a fake poor quality CF would be ultra nasty!

rhys wrote in post #4638628external link
I bought a wired remote for my 30D from some ebay vendor based in Hong Kong and got ripped off - it never arrived.

In my opinion, ebay is good if you're buying secondhand stuff. It's not good for anything else. Having said that the photo stuff I bought - with the exception of the Chinese stuff - is generally OK.

I found this guy on ebay but I picked it up because I thought it would be safer. I thought it would be ok because he has near perfect feedback and friends who have purchased glass off him have been satisfied. Maybe he doesn't know it's dodgy stuff, I'll ask him about it. I probably should have checked before I left!

ajayclicks wrote in post #4639614external link
I got a generic one from ebay HK for 3 USD, still works after dropping it for a few times

LOL

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Fureinku
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined May 2006
DFW, TX
Jan 06, 2008 01:34 |  #15

i bought a legit one from a shop, as far as i know anyways, ive never used it, could be DOA for all i know

Gear List | Wish List |

sponsored links

128,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=WARNING FAKE RC-1 on E-bay=- :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.