Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports
Thread started 11 Jan 2008 (Friday) 14:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Indoor Motocross ( Arenacross) suggestions please?????

picprinter
57 posts
Joined Aug 2007
York, PA
Jan 11, 2008 14:58 |  #1

I was hoping that if there were any indoor motocross photographers in here if they help me with some ideas. This year I am doing some photography at an indoor motocrossevent to support a charity. Below is a rather poor multi image composite put together toshow you the arena and the course. Don't judge this composite because I threw it together just to give you an idea of the lay out.

Where would YOU think the best photo ops are presented in a situationsuch as this? But let metell you the following, I MUST shoot with fill flash ! ! ! Sorry to all the available light fans in these forums but the promoter saw our fill flash images from last year's show and compared themto the other photographer who was shooting available light and hired us with the understanding we would shoot with flash. They also want the crowd of spectators in the background.

So, the course is run as follows, out the starting gate they dash across the whole length of the arena ( down in the image ) and turn right to go over a triple set of small bumps, then to two larger bumps which the good riders double. I primarily was shooting from what I marked as #1 and shot the riders in the air or just launching off the first big bump and had the crowd in the background. The riders then pass through the starting gate area to the other side of the arena going through a timing section of small bumps, the finish line area and then a double jump. From there they counter back through the center of the arena turning 180 degrees to jump across a big double jump in the center of the arena and around again.

Last year I shot from position #1 which gave me ops with bikes in the air and the crowd for the background. (sample below)

I also had a photographer shooting in position #2. He was shooting the riders coming straight at him, catching them in the air or just before touchdown on the back side of that double jump. The crowd also filled the background in these images. This is harder to do with the promoter requiring us to shoot fill flash because of the distance between camera and
subject.

Likewise we used position #3 catching riders coming off the big double in the center of the arena, crowd in the background. This was easier to fill flash the rider because the camera to subject distance is shorter than position #2.

Position #4 gives a shot similiar to position #1 but the rider don't get as much air there because of the quick turn they need to make.

How would you shoot this???????????

These sample images all come from the practice sessions so there isn't much of a crowd in the stands but for the finals the stands are full.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Position #1 Sample

Position #1 Sample

Position #2 Sample

Position #3 Sample

gear: Canon A2 ( yes, some still like to shoot film), Canon D60, Canon 1d Mk2, Canon 28-70L, Canon 70-200L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-300 ( can't find it right now), 550EX, 580EX, Sunpak 622 SuperPro, Norman 200B. Fuji SFA1257 Printer, Fuji FA720 Enlarger, Fuji Pictrostat Digital 400 Printer.

sponsored links
srn_photo
348 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Jan 12, 2008 11:03 |  #2

Shoot more ambient light and less flash. Just more ambient light would help these pictures. I would work on your timing and see more of the jumps witch the riders left off of. That is just my style tho.

:)

BrownDogWilson
Goldmember
1,444 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Jan 12, 2008 11:26 |  #3

For moto, you will get your best shots as riders are exiting corners, if there is any roost to be had that is where you will get it. For the start, a good shot is always the first corner where they are all coming in together. For air shots, I like to get in front of them a bit more so in case they lay it flat you will be at a good angle. Shots of them going them through the whoops don't ever seem to turn out as good as you think they should. It looks great live, but in photos they are just going straight over some bumps,,,just my 2 cents..Here is a link to some of the shots I took at Supercross in Anaheim last week..

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/BrownDogWilson/A​108RACEDAYexternal link

1DX, 1D MarkIV, 5D MarkIII, 70-200mm 2.8., 400mm 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 17-40, 15mm
BrownDogWilson.net

salexande867
179 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Jan 12, 2008 13:51 as a reply to BrownDogWilson's post |  #4

Almost everyone that shoots supercrss/arenacross focuses on the single rider getting air. As a photographer and rider, I suggest you remember that it is a race. Include that part in your photos. A shot of a single rider looks like a single rider riding around a track.

With arenacross, you don't get the flashy bikes and gear of supercross and because the arena is much smaller, the 2-strokes fill it with smoke quickly. This makes it a low light situation. However, I never use a flash because it can distract the riders. Go with a high ISO and a fast lens.

I like to get shots in the whoops because a lot of action happens there (especially if they are right out of a corner).

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

Canon 1D MkIII, 30D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 70-300mm, 580 EX II

BrownDogWilson
Goldmember
1,444 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Jan 12, 2008 20:42 |  #5

Not to question what you say, but they are pretty much the exact same bikes and the same gear. Some of the AX teams also have factory support just like in SX, and the riders aren't bothered much by the flash. In regard to the two stroke comment, some of the guys may race in the 125 class when it is offered, but other than that they are all on 4 strokes.

1DX, 1D MarkIV, 5D MarkIII, 70-200mm 2.8., 400mm 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 17-40, 15mm
BrownDogWilson.net

picprinter
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Aug 2007
York, PA
Jan 14, 2008 09:34 |  #6

Thank you to each of you for your valuable comments. I had a meeting with the show promoter and the ad agency that does their advertising. During our discussions I showed them the replies to this thread so they could see the different options in shooting styles as used by other photographers. Now I know exactly what they want. From that meeting it is obvious to me that we will have to shoot two different styles during the show. One style to satisfy to the promoter and another to satisfy the riders. But, its nothing that too complicated so it should be a lot of fun.

Again thank you for your comments, they were very valuable and much appreciated.

gear: Canon A2 ( yes, some still like to shoot film), Canon D60, Canon 1d Mk2, Canon 28-70L, Canon 70-200L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-300 ( can't find it right now), 550EX, 580EX, Sunpak 622 SuperPro, Norman 200B. Fuji SFA1257 Printer, Fuji FA720 Enlarger, Fuji Pictrostat Digital 400 Printer.

movol
86 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Central Missouri
Jan 14, 2008 12:17 as a reply to picprinter's post |  #7

Browndog is correct...same bikes, same gear, a few riders get full factory support, most are privateers, all are looking for that jump to SX/MX rides... just smaller tracks...it's a circuit that travels easier to smaller markets.

to the photos at hand...I would open your lens a little more to blur the backgrounds so the rider(s) will stand out more in the photo's.

Scott King
30D
Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, Sigma 1.4x, 17-55L IS, 420ex, 580ex II, AB800
http://www.scottwking.​com/Photographyexternal link (Work In Progress)

mitchella68
125 posts
Joined May 2007
VA
Jan 22, 2008 15:56 |  #8

I can see the challenge you have there, I would try dropping the flash down half to one stop, shoot raw if possible so I could adjust the exposure some too. As far as positions I would try to catch the turns and also see if I could put myself up high enough to catch the action on some of the larger jumps and still have the audience in the pic.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/30531800@N08/external link
Mark II, 1Ds mkII
300 2.8 500 f4
70-200 2.8
24-70 2.8

Nzshrimper
a good height for ...
10,173 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Christchurch - New Zealand
Jan 23, 2008 04:03 |  #9

try underexposing the shot in the camera to darken the BG then using fill flash on second curtain to light the rider / bike. this helps separate the rider from bg. play with the flash as you may need to go as high a 1 - 2 stops over to compensate for the under exposer of the shot.

open the lens a little to this will remove some of DOF allowing the bg to blur .

change your angles to tilt the camera.... and last slow down the shutter speed to get some sense of movement..

i hope that helps a little...

© All rights given away
Grammar – the difference between knowing you’re sh1te and knowing your sh1te

salexande867
179 posts
Joined Oct 2007
May 11, 2008 09:49 |  #10

BrownDogWilson wrote in post #4690666external link
Not to question what you say, but they are pretty much the exact same bikes and the same gear. Some of the AX teams also have factory support just like in SX, and the riders aren't bothered much by the flash. In regard to the two stroke comment, some of the guys may race in the 125 class when it is offered, but other than that they are all on 4 strokes.

Not in my area. Local arenacross races have a few pro riders, but also have local guys riding in long sleeve t-shirts. Most riders are kids riding on their parents' budget with maybe a little local sponsor support.

You are forgetting about the minis who are almost all 2-stroke. It doesn't take long for these to fill the arena. My local arena has to run 6 huge industrial fans to continuously exhust the smoke from the arena.

Canon 1D MkIII, 30D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 70-300mm, 580 EX II

JLX
129 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jan 02, 2013 22:14 |  #11

Bringing this thread back to life - I've shot AMA Hillclimbs but never arenacross. Ill be experimenting this weekend. What would you recommend to bring for lenses? Any other tips and tricks are much appreciated :-)

Mataz426
394 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Michigan
Jan 03, 2013 14:19 |  #12

Good to bring this back as the Areacross series is starting, I told my wife that I wanted to go the Van andel arena for the amateurs race on Sunday the 20th and give it a try. Its assigned seating, so I wont be able to just go where I want. JLX, I'm taking the 70-200 with a 1.4 teleconverter (full frame here so not much reach) as far as flash, I don't own a speed-light and I wouldn't know how to use one if I had it, so I'm just going to shoot low shutter and crank up the ISO. The lighting should be decent enough. Good luck, and post pictures please.

kris142
996 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Jan 03, 2013 15:27 as a reply to Mataz426's post |  #13

I may be going to Supercross this weekend. Generally I keep my ISO high, usually around 1600-3200, try to keep the shutter above 1/800, and f as low as possible while maintaining a clear subject with 70-200 f2.8

|Sony A7 / Sony 35mm 2.8|

JLX
129 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jan 04, 2013 10:05 |  #14

Thanks guys! I'm def bringing the 70-200 f/2.8 and was thinking maybe the Sigma 35? I wasn't sure if I was going to want the teleconverter - it looks like close quarters.

I will def post up pictures after!

sponsored links

5,278 views & 0 likes for this thread
Indoor Motocross ( Arenacross) suggestions please?????
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.