Am I crazy? (70-200 2.8L IS)

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 12 Jan 2008 (Saturday) 18:10   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Chris ­ Elliott
Joined Dec 2007
22 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I was very fortunate to recieve this lens as a gift (!!!) from some generous relatives. They asked me to pick any lens from the canon catalog and they would get it for me, so I asked for a lens that I wouldn't normally be able to afford. The money isn't a problem for them, and they enjoy giving things to me as much as I enjoy using them. However, I'm really starting to feel like this lens just doesn't suit my shooting style as much as I thought it would. In fact, I'm thinking of going to the complete opposite direction and returning this lens, selling my other lens (a 17-40/4L) and going with 1-2 primes (the 35/2 and the 50/1.4). Am I crazy?

Fellow 70-200 2.8 IS owners, what do you use this lens for? I don't shoot sports at all, but I do shoot events. It seems to me, though, that this lens is too conspicuous to get the kind of candid, documentary photography that I'm after. I don't so much even mind the weight, but the size is causing me to leave my camera at home...I feel like I'd be better off with a cheaper, lighter prime.

Will I go through all this, only to find out that I miss the versatility of my two L zooms? Has anyone been down this road before? I find myself very attracted to the simplicity, compactness, and 'feel' of primes. This isn't to say that I don't like my two L zooms (they're fantastic, as you all know!), I just feel like I might be better off saving for a 5d and a nice flash and tripod and use primes only (I'm shooting a 20d right now). I will get all of those things eventually even if I decide to keep this lens--I will just have to wait a while.

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences that they would like to share? I am kind of at a loss for what to do, since I never thought that this would happen. If I decide to keep the 70-200 I will probably add a 35/2 anyway fairly soon. I don't like the feeling of not bringing my camera because it is too big/inconvenient to carry.

Post #1, Jan 12, 2008 18:10:55

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
amriddell
Joined Jan 2008
295 posts
Philly.
[MORE/SHARE]

well if you feel like selling the 70-200 let me know.

Post #2, Jan 12, 2008 18:21:16

5D3/2, Sigma 85 & 35, 24-105L, 17-40L, 100-400L, 580EX II
www.adamriddellphotogr​aphy.comexternal link

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,755 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

I use the 70-200 2.8 IS for concerts and indoor events where I am not allowed to move around and I am far away from the action. It's the best tool, but it's heavy and not a great walk about lens. I even use the 70-200 at weddings to get close ups of people without them knowing it.

Post #3, Jan 12, 2008 18:33:29

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

AdamLewis
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
4,097 posts
San Francisco, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I use the 70-200 religiously...But thats for sports.
You should get whatever allows you to take pictures the way you want to. If thats the kit lens, then more power to you.
Just get whatever best suits your shooting style. Although, for the price of the 70-200, you could sell just it (or return it if its not too late) and get the 35 1.4L AND the 50 1.4 while still holding on to you 17-40

Post #4, Jan 12, 2008 18:41:43

http://www.alewisphoto​.comexternal link

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
15,545 posts
Portland, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

I use this lens for outdoor glamour and portraits, sports and events - but admittedly my events are Ren Faires and Festivals which are full of people who are there to show off. For candids and documentary shots I'd probably use the 135 f/2L or the 200 f/2.8L.

Post #5, Jan 12, 2008 18:59:47

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blogexternal link (NSFW)- My Complete Gear Listexternal link - Mac-Photo Websiteexternal link - My Tumblr Siteexternal link (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES

sponsored links
neil85
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
1,069 posts
West Chicago, Il
[MORE/SHARE]

i use this lens A LOT. 9 out of 10 times its the lens i use as a walk around lens in downtown chicago. taking candids of people or walking along lake shore beach and takin shots of the boats its very nice.

theres times i wish i had a shorter lens but i deal with it

Post #6, Jan 12, 2008 21:07:58

30D & 28-135 kit lens, 50mm F/1.8 MKII, monopod, tipod w/pan tilt head, 430EX w/ sto-fen omni bounce,

On the brown truck, due 10/26 ... 70-200 2.8L IS :D

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
3,938 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

You should get the lens that fits your shooting style. If the 70-200 is not the lens you need go with the primes.

Post #7, Jan 12, 2008 21:20:53

Paul
Blogexternal link | Gearexternal link | Galleryexternal link
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

JCheungPhoto
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
1,338 posts
Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

This lens is a general tightly framed "high and tight" shooter, and it excells at its job. In my opinion it is the best lens that Canon produces for its ease of use and versatility (the weather sealing is a nice tough as well).

I have some family members like that, since I'm starting out however I didn't want to burden them so I'm going 50-50 on a EOS 5D + 24-105L kit+grip =}

Post #8, Jan 12, 2008 21:30:00

gear
freewebs.com/jcheungph​otography

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"

djeuch
Joined Sep 2007
932 posts
Langhorne, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

pgiancola wrote in post #4690823external link
You should get the lens that fits your shooting style. If the 70-200 is not the lens you need go with the primes.

I absolutely love my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS... BUT, if you're not going to take it along, it's absolutely the wrong lens for you!

I've been shooting my 24-105mm a lot lately. Excellent range, tack sharp across the whole range for me at f/4, and partnered with a 580EX II, it's my go-to solution. But it's no substitute.

Today I decided to take my three kids (1, 4, 6) to the park. put the 70-200mm on there because I wanted to maximize my reach and get the best bokeh I possibly could. Every time I take that lens back out, I remember why I got it in the first place! It's definitely worth its weight (in gold? platinum?)

In the end, though, you have to decide if it's going to sit at home, or if you're going to use it. It's a lot of money invested if you're not going to use it!

As for the "big white lens" I know I get stares - I caught several out of the corner of my eye today at the park, but who cares?

Post #9, Jan 12, 2008 21:37:45

Canon 40D w/BG-E2N Battery Grip | Canon 5D w/BG-E4 Battery Grip | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 w/ET-65III | EF 50mm f/1.4 w/ES-71II | Canon 1.4x TC | Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW | B+W 77mm MRC (010) filter x2 | Speedlite 580EX II

JCheungPhoto
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
1,338 posts
Virginia
[MORE/SHARE]

even funnier with the "big white lens effect" is the stares at this highschooler taking vacation photos of seagulls and family games at a beach with a 70-200 f2.8 and a EOS 30D + grip+430ex

Post #10, Jan 12, 2008 21:51:36

gear
freewebs.com/jcheungph​otography

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"

Riff ­ Raff
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
1,110 posts
Austin, Texas, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I use it for indoor theater performances when I'm not that close to the action (or maybe I am close, but the stage is really wide/deep). I also used it for sports once, but I don't really do much sports stuff. It being a big white lens helps keep people out of the way. Even when I had a kid stand right in front of me while I was trying to shoot, he moved fairly quickly after I "accidentally" tapped his helmet with my lens hood a couple of times. :-) To be honest, I think it's probably my least-used lens currently but when you need that focal length... you really need it.

Post #11, Jan 12, 2008 21:55:03 as a reply to JCheungPhoto's post 3 minutes earlier.

Shawn McHorse - AustinRocky.orgexternal link / RockyMusic.orgexternal link
Bodies: 5D Mark III, Rebel XTi, Elan 7NE Compact: S100 Flashes: 580EX II, 430EX
Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
Bags: Stealth Reporter D400AW, Toploader 75AW, Modulus Belt System

sponsored links
danielyamseng
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
2,029 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

This lens is good for event.

Post #12, Jan 13, 2008 00:11:01 as a reply to Riff Raff's post 2 hours earlier.

Crossfire
Joined Jul 2007
464 posts
Auckland, NZ
[MORE/SHARE]

I use mine for sports (indoor and outdoor) and dance. I am usually pretty close to the action. It is probably my second most used lens in my bag after the 24-70. It is a conspicuous lens at events, but apart from the first time I used it at an event, its never bothered me.

Post #13, Jan 13, 2008 02:08:33

pointView | photography
www.pointviewphoto.co.​nzexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
978 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I crazy? (70-200 2.8L IS)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES