Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #1
Chris Elliott

Default Am I crazy? (70-200 2.8L IS)

I was very fortunate to recieve this lens as a gift (!!!) from some generous relatives. They asked me to pick any lens from the canon catalog and they would get it for me, so I asked for a lens that I wouldn't normally be able to afford. The money isn't a problem for them, and they enjoy giving things to me as much as I enjoy using them. However, I'm really starting to feel like this lens just doesn't suit my shooting style as much as I thought it would. In fact, I'm thinking of going to the complete opposite direction and returning this lens, selling my other lens (a 17-40/4L) and going with 1-2 primes (the 35/2 and the 50/1.4). Am I crazy?

Fellow 70-200 2.8 IS owners, what do you use this lens for? I don't shoot sports at all, but I do shoot events. It seems to me, though, that this lens is too conspicuous to get the kind of candid, documentary photography that I'm after. I don't so much even mind the weight, but the size is causing me to leave my camera at home...I feel like I'd be better off with a cheaper, lighter prime.

Will I go through all this, only to find out that I miss the versatility of my two L zooms? Has anyone been down this road before? I find myself very attracted to the simplicity, compactness, and 'feel' of primes. This isn't to say that I don't like my two L zooms (they're fantastic, as you all know!), I just feel like I might be better off saving for a 5d and a nice flash and tripod and use primes only (I'm shooting a 20d right now). I will get all of those things eventually even if I decide to keep this lens--I will just have to wait a while.

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences that they would like to share? I am kind of at a loss for what to do, since I never thought that this would happen. If I decide to keep the 70-200 I will probably add a 35/2 anyway fairly soon. I don't like the feeling of not bringing my camera because it is too big/inconvenient to carry.
Chris Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #2
amriddell

Default Re: Am I crazy? (70-200 2.8L IS)

well if you feel like selling the 70-200 let me know.
amriddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #3
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

I use the 70-200 2.8 IS for concerts and indoor events where I am not allowed to move around and I am far away from the action. It's the best tool, but it's heavy and not a great walk about lens. I even use the 70-200 at weddings to get close ups of people without them knowing it.
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #4
AdamLewis
Goldmember

I use the 70-200 religiously...But thats for sports.
You should get whatever allows you to take pictures the way you want to. If thats the kit lens, then more power to you.
Just get whatever best suits your shooting style. Although, for the price of the 70-200, you could sell just it (or return it if its not too late) and get the 35 1.4L AND the 50 1.4 while still holding on to you 17-40

AdamLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #5
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop

I use this lens for outdoor glamour and portraits, sports and events - but admittedly my events are Ren Faires and Festivals which are full of people who are there to show off. For candids and documentary shots I'd probably use the 135 f/2L or the 200 f/2.8L.
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blog (NSFW)- My Complete Gear List - Mac-Photo Website - My Tumblr Site (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES
Mark_Cohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #6
neil85

i use this lens A LOT. 9 out of 10 times its the lens i use as a walk around lens in downtown chicago. taking candids of people or walking along lake shore beach and takin shots of the boats its very nice.

theres times i wish i had a shorter lens but i deal with it

On the brown truck, due 10/26 ... 70-200 2.8L IS
neil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #7
Familiaphoto
Goldmember

You should get the lens that fits your shooting style. If the 70-200 is not the lens you need go with the primes.

Blog | Gear | Gallery

Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...
Familiaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #8
JCheungPhoto

This lens is a general tightly framed "high and tight" shooter, and it excells at its job. In my opinion it is the best lens that Canon produces for its ease of use and versatility (the weather sealing is a nice tough as well).

I have some family members like that, since I'm starting out however I didn't want to burden them so I'm going 50-50 on a EOS 5D + 24-105L kit+grip =}

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"
JCheungPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #9
djeuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiancola View Post
You should get the lens that fits your shooting style. If the 70-200 is not the lens you need go with the primes.
I absolutely love my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS... BUT, if you're not going to take it along, it's absolutely the wrong lens for you!

I've been shooting my 24-105mm a lot lately. Excellent range, tack sharp across the whole range for me at f/4, and partnered with a 580EX II, it's my go-to solution. But it's no substitute.

Today I decided to take my three kids (1, 4, 6) to the park. put the 70-200mm on there because I wanted to maximize my reach and get the best bokeh I possibly could. Every time I take that lens back out, I remember why I got it in the first place! It's definitely worth its weight (in gold? platinum?)

In the end, though, you have to decide if it's going to sit at home, or if you're going to use it. It's a lot of money invested if you're not going to use it!

As for the "big white lens" I know I get stares - I caught several out of the corner of my eye today at the park, but who cares?
djeuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #10
JCheungPhoto

even funnier with the "big white lens effect" is the stares at this highschooler taking vacation photos of seagulls and family games at a beach with a 70-200 f2.8 and a EOS 30D + grip+430ex

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"
JCheungPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2008 (Sat)   #11
Riff Raff

I use it for indoor theater performances when I'm not that close to the action (or maybe I am close, but the stage is really wide/deep). I also used it for sports once, but I don't really do much sports stuff. It being a big white lens helps keep people out of the way. Even when I had a kid stand right in front of me while I was trying to shoot, he moved fairly quickly after I "accidentally" tapped his helmet with my lens hood a couple of times. To be honest, I think it's probably my least-used lens currently but when you need that focal length... you really need it.
Bags: Stealth Reporter D400AW, Toploader 75AW, Modulus Belt System

Last edited by Riff Raff : 12th of January 2008 (Sat) at 21:57.
Riff Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of January 2008 (Sun)   #12
danielyamseng
Goldmember

This lens is good for event.
danielyamseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of January 2008 (Sun)   #13
Crossfire

I use mine for sports (indoor and outdoor) and dance. I am usually pretty close to the action. It is probably my second most used lens in my bag after the 24-70. It is a conspicuous lens at events, but apart from the first time I used it at an event, its never bothered me.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote